1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deadlifts/Squats and wide waist

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Fader, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Fader

Fader Active Member

Hi,

I never really did much deadlift and squat work in my routines because (i know it's a lame excuse) my legs were naturally big but recently i started getting lower back pain so i have started doing both deadlift and squats but my question is will it make my waist thick?

My aim is a v-shape taper like most and I don't want that bloated, fat, thick look in the slightest... i enjoy doing these two exercises but don't want to go against my goals.

Thanks

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

They aren't going to ruin or prevent a v-taper, but they can block out your waist. Hit your lat and shoulder girdle exercises hard to offset.

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I'll say this. To a certain/large extent the V is genetic. Think of women. You've got apples,pears and hourglass. A runway model will be thin but she won't have a V narrow waisted build. An hourglass girl might not be thin. She might not even have a tiny waist. But she'll look more V.

It's not really different for guys. Some guys are broader shoulders and they tend to have smaller waists.

4. vanderlinden

vanderlinden Member

Low bar squats and deads will make your hips bigger and give you a blocky look. Think "300" vs. Steve Reeve. Front squats and RDLs will hit your quads and hamstrings without making your hips bigger.