1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deadlift heavy routines

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Dalton, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Check it out in the video somewhere in this article.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1588392

2. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

So just bend at the waist before I bend at the knees. Got it. I'm assuming that wouldn't have had any MAJOR effect on the lift?

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It can put you in a bad position to start your next pull from when you're doing rep work. In your case, this does happen. When you start the set, you're back is in good posture, but, as the set progresses, you start to lose this posture.

Also, when you pull, it looks like you're segmenting the lift. First you extend the knees and then you bring the hips into it. Try to concentrate on driving your feet into the ground and shoving your hips forward at the same time. You want to activate as much musculature as possible when you start the lift.

One thing I've had a few people I've worked with offline do is to pull singles and stand up between every rep. (In other words, stand with the bar in position at your feet. With your chest up, reach down and grab the bar with the back in good posture. Then, lift the bar. After you return it to the floor, take your hands off it and stand up. Now repeat everything.) This seems to help them get used to the positions and posture they need to attain and maintain faster than going straight to rep work. You might try this for a few workouts or for your first set or two each workout, just to ingrain what it feels like to do a good lift. This only works if your first rep is your best rep though (which seems to be the case in the video you posted).

#63 chicanerous, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Whether a motion has a major effect on the lift usually depends on whether there is a major amount of weight on the bar.

By the way all the stuff about the bar in relation to the knee is subject to a lot of individual variation - some people have long arms, others have long shins, etc. Try and think it through in terms of avoiding too much accomodation of forward bar motion by secondary motions (like pushing the shoulders forward or bending the spine) before you start to flex the hips.

5. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

I'll try that later today when I workout. By the way, do I even need to be doing squats to keep my squat where it's at? I figure deadlifts will work my legs enough to at least keep the muscle from experiencing atrophy, eh?

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The deadlifting will keep your muscle up, but you might experience changes to your squat. I've been deadlift centric for months now, and don't think I've lost any strength at all, nor much of my maximal squat load, but my squat is a little less polished, and this shows up in the number of reps that are comfortable, as well as I'm getting too deep these days when I do them. So where 8x315# used to be pretty comfy, yesterday it wasn't.

It's nothing to worry about because you can always polish your squat back up.

7. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

Sounds good. However, what makes going too deep an issue for squats? Or do you just mean you are going past what you were before, so it's a bit harder?

8. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

Did three sets of five with 260lbs (it was actually 255lbs before, not 250lbs), picked up the tempo and got rid of knee hitching. No video this time, as I can tell from the video that my back is clearly just as straight and the knee hitching is gone. I'll get a video uploaded at 265lbs.

9. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

No video today, as it turns out. My battery died. I'll have video next time at 270lbs.

10. boots

boots Well-Known Member

Sweet!

I didn't lift 625 today, but I wore my At Large t-shirt.... that has to count for something!

11. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

Well, I'm going to let this thread die and start posting videos of my deadlifts in my journal from now on. One last question though: Shoud deadlifts, rows, and lat pulldowns be enough to effectively work my back and get my deadlift up to where my squat is? Also, how much would be a safe bet for the amount of weight I'll eventually be using for lat pulls?

#71 Dalton, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009