1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deadlift heavy routines

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Dalton, Feb 19, 2009.

1. George

George Senior Member

You might want to increase volume on the deads (either through more reps or more sets or both). Since it's a very light weight for you, it shouldn't be too taxing. I find that this helps me reinforce form.

2. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

Alright, I'll skip the good mornings and work them in elsewhere. As far as the weight being really easy, I'd have to do quite a few reps for it not to be, so I'll just stick to 3x5 for now (I'll be increasing the weight pretty quickly, as long as the form is alright).

3. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

I don't know if it's any better, but here's a video of me doing 135lbs while trying to keep my hips lower and my back less rounded (I have a natural tendency to revert to straight leg deadlifts or something, I need to use my legs more):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkpfS5A9Ozs

4. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

Any issues (besides me needing to consistently get my butt down and use my legs) I should know about from that video? I'm looking to do three sets of 8 or something tomorrow.

5. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

I think getting the bar closer to your shins at the start and during the lift would be a good idea

6. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

I don't think my grip strength will be an issue for a while. My grip was strong enough for 385lbs, so it shouldn't be a problem with such light weights. I think I'll add 10lbs every time I deadlift until my form gets out of whack, though.

7. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

I got restless for some reason today, and decided to to three sets of five with 205lbs. To me, the form looks pretty much the same (and from what I've heard from the last video, fine), but can anyone else spot any problems? The video might be processing for a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liai1auB8XQ

8. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Looks pretty good.

9. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

Then I'll start at 205lbs. It's still pretty light, but better than 135lbs, I guess.

10. Azure

Azure Active Member

11. ms3jake

ms3jake Active Member

Reletively new to lifting and can squat near 400? Are these full squats or 1/4? As far as deadlifts 3 rep training has worked wonders for my DL. Im the opposite from you where my DL is much high than my squat. Life time pr's: full Squat 305/ deadlift 415. Been lifting for 13 years. Ecto somotype with long arms and legs not helping in my powerlifts:bang:

12. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

I have a video of me squatting 385lbs, you can check depth there. And when I did 415lbs, it should've been around the same depth. I'm not starting lifting again until Friday, an I won't be going real heavy until I get my form down with something other than light weights, but when I get to that point I might look into 3 rep training, I've heard good things about it.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Have you seriously tried single leg work? Sometimes guys with long legs have to go unilateral to break through.

14. ms3jake

ms3jake Active Member

Not really, what do you recommend for single leg moves?

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Bulgarians and single leg deadlifts.

16. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Could we see a full body shot of that 415 squat? Your last one didn't show the whole thing. I believe you, but I'm wondering how your form looked.

17. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

I'll do that when I get my power cage and some more weight which should be early March.

18. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

Just did three sets of five with 250lbs, with pretty slow negatives and relatively quick lifts, and it felt pretty easy. Once I get up to 300lbs, which is pretty close to where I am with squat, I'll start doing full workouts of squats as opposed to a five rep max, but I'll keep it to once a week and do deadlifts three times a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBL1mNoA1Y

Edit: Regarding barbell rows, should I be doing them with my back completely horizontal, or should I bring my back up a bit? There's tons of different angles I've seen on youtube. Will higher angles work my lats in a more optimal position for deadlifts compared to doing them with a lower angle?

#58 Dalton, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  19. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I just noticed, it appears as though you're knee breaking on your deadlifts.

20. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

What is knee breaking, exactly?