1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deadlift Aesthetics

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by modmaven, Nov 24, 2008.

1. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

So I've been doing coventional deadlifts for a few months now so that I might get to be half as strong as dejavued. (so far that's just where I am!) I understand that the DL works a vast amount of muscles and all that. And I love getting strong. But it just occured to me that I don't know exactly what, if anything in particular, the aesthetic pay off of deadlifts is. I can picture what every other ex should result in -- but I can't do the same for the DL. Is there some particular aesthetic benefit? In googling around, I noticed that some bodybuilders skip the DL altogether, perhaps for this reason. Any thoughts? Just curious.

2. artizzztik

artizzztik Active Member

I know what you're saying. Squats give you big quads, flys a big chest, benches big tri-s.

I think the most important aesthetic benefit is that the deadlift is pretty much bar-none the best overall mass builder around. It doesn't blow up a specific muscle so much as it bulks up EVERY muscle.

From what I can tell the deadlift does a lot of good for your core, and much of the core is pretty well buried. You never really see your psoas, but it's there. If you strengthen the core you can lift heavier stuff whatever the lift - and, if you're lifting heavier stuff, everything else is going to grow.

I always focus on the functional strength angle. I don't think of it as getting big, but as getting strong. There's just something really primal about it. "ARGH. ME PICK UP BIG WEIGHT."

Of course, I am a little weird. :)

3. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Posterior chain...so glutes, hamstrings, etc.

4. modmaven

I'm weird in the same way.

Gotcha. But I'm also wondering about the back, rear delts, lats? Does a deadlifter's rear view look distinctly different from a non-deadlifters? Is it just a matter of overall mass or anything else?

5. George

George Senior Member

You can usually tell someone's been taking deads seriously by back thickness. Lots of "lumps and bumps". Take a look at some leaner/dieted down powerlifters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Dave has the thickest lower back ever, jesus.

Deads will give you a thicker torso, traps, lats, erectors, as well as stimulate a huge amount of muscle mass, doing all sorts of good things for your body.

7. modmaven

Who is this Dave guy? What a gorgeous physique.

That sounds a little scary for a gal, but I'm in.

8. George

George Senior Member

Dave Gulledge. There was a great interview with him that documented his cut and everything but the site seems to be down. :( Here are some pictures that show the before/after.

9. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Not to mention leaner, a better taper, stronger all over, increased metabolism. Don't be scared :)

10. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

I think my back is my best feature, hands down - and I attribute 90 % of it to deadlifting. I very much doubt you'll develop muscle you don't want if you don't actually train with that goal in mind. Train for strength in the lower rep range and I think you'll be fine :).

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The entire aesthetic of the deadlift is to pull a huge weight up without injury.

12. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

this is a great thread.

damn daves lower back is insane.

:lol:

i bet u'll be pulling near 200 by the time i get to DC! :tucool:

happy birthday btw!!

13. roger_mexico

roger_mexico Active Member

Yeah, I can spot guys in my gym who deadlift right away. In fact, you don't even need to see someone with their shirt off (for all the lumps and bumps). There's a thickness to them that is readily apparent.

Scarier still, I can spot guys who DON'T deadlift but probably should. Most of their back training revolves around upper back/lat-dominate stuff and they end up with this... Well, I don't know how to describe it exactly... Sort of a flounder look. They look wide and scary from the front, but when they turn to profile you're afraid they're going to slip into a crack in the floor.

14. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, people have always said squats were the king of exercises, but I honestly believe that title goes to deads. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING taxes my body like a set of heavy deads.

15. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I couldn't agree more. :nod:

16. George

George Senior Member

Same here. I have a feeling it's because I really suck at squats, though.

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

We should make a shitty squatter club

18. modmaven

I'm in.

19. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's like you're channeling mastover.

20. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Profile means from the side, right? I always thought a good sized chest would stop them not their backs. I just missed that one. :confused: