1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deadlift advice

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Thrust, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Thrust

Thrust Active Member

Currently, I perform a 4-day split with Friday's being a leg/back routine. I have a question about the number of sets for my deadlift work. Currently I'm doing 4 sets (including 2 warmup). The two warm-up sets are 10 reps each followed by 2 "heavy" working sets of 5 reps each. I lift heavy enough where I can barely finish the 5th rep on the last set.

In addition to the deadlifts I also do 3x12 of heavy weighted step-ups and 5x6 of heavy weighted front squats.

Should I reorganize my routine to allow for 1-2 additional sets of deadlifts? At this point I'm literally exhausted and CANNOT do another set of deadlifts with heavy weight. I would likely have to reduce the weight by ~15% in order to complete 5 working sets of deadlifts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On a positive note, I've increased my deadlifts by 30lbs. over the last month (currently bulking). Now I have to buy more plates!! :D

2. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

I suggest doing Deadlifts first in your routine. I do 5x5 with 2 or 3 sets of warm before that, so 8 sets total. I could probably go quite a bit heavier doing 3x3, though. I suggest treating a set as singles. Do a deadlift, fix your grip, do another one...

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What you're doing sounds fine to me. I like the loading scheme of two low rep top sets and then a number of submaximal speed pulls for deadlifts -- that's all the conventional or sumo you'll do for the week. The rest of the time work on bringing up your squat and posterior chain strength.

That's for a decently heavy max deadlift though -- at least twice bodyweight.

#3 chicanerous, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't see why you need to. You are making progress.

If you want to get a big metabolic effect so you can do a lot more sets, then work into that gradually. The body can adapt to more volume but it takes a little time. If your goals are just strength, it seems like you already have that covered.