1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

David Beckam and Soccer in LA?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Kenpo Fist, Jul 15, 2007.

1. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:madpimp:

2. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Well-Known Member

It occurred to me a minute ago when i read back over the newest arguments in this thread that the "low scoring" aspect of soccer seems to be a reoccurring characteristic that people who dont like the sport share.

If you really simplify it down its kinda interesting!

Soccer - 1 goal = 1 point
    Football - 1 touchdown = 7 points (extra point included)

so a 3-2 soccer outcome would equal a 21-14 football outcome, and in the end, there were only 5 instances where points were earned. does this make sense?

and for those who arent aware, Beckham and the LA Galaxy play Chelsea FC of the English Premier League on July 21. its gunna be a great game to watch!

3. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

It's not interesting in the least. Seriously.

In MANY cases a 3-2 soccer match is an anomaly. For example, in this calendar year, 171 Premiership games were contested. Out of those 171 matches - 18 games finished with a result of 3-2 or more - that is a miniscule 10.5%.

By comparison, Week 11 of the 2006 NFL had 15 of 17 games with more than 5 'scoring chances' converted. With a quick glance, Week 11 is comparable scoring-wise to other weeks.

Also, the NFL is broken down into short 5 second bursts of action - perfect for our short attention spans. Soccer is um, not.

4. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

This sums it up. :nod:

5. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Amercian Football is closer to Rugby in terms of the rules and high scores. But Rugby is better. :nod:

As for real Football (or Soccer), it's a pity Americans don't seem to get it. But afterall, billions of people in hundreds of countries can't be wrong. :)

6. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

Kids in America go outside and play basketball/football/baseball. In the rest of the world they little kids play soccer. If you've seriously never played soccer for fun then I find no reason that would suddenly enjoy watching it on TV. The thing is you yourself have to realize this and not even comment about it, there's no point since you don't even have any contact with the game anyway just change the channel. I've never played golf and I never ever watch it on TV. Get what im sayin?

7. chang

chang Well-Known Member

This is true. It's like people who turn on UFC and think the fighters are thugs and barbaric. I don't like a lot of sports, but I would never say that a sport sucks. Just because I don't understand it for one reason or another does not give me the right to say it sucks, or is boring, because there will always be some to disagree. I think when it comes down to it we should really just appreciate all sports, we don't have to like every sport or understand them, but just appreciate the raw talent that is required to play that specific sport.

8. cabster21

cabster21 Active Member

Last I heard David is still injured. But who knows, he could well play. I mean, I doubt Chelsea will send much of the first team. The few English players might not want to risk injury, as they have euro 2008 matches coming up.

9. Coachese

Since when does Chelsea HAVE English players?

10. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

#30 Sent, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  11. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Well-Known Member

12. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

:lol:
    They have a few :p

13. Kenpo Fist

Kenpo Fist Well-Known Member

Okay, I am watching a bit of the game. A few friends had tickets and invited me to go but I decided to order the Hopkins vs. Wright fight instead. Have to admit, its kind of exciting watching the game. I dont understand anything about the game, but it is pretty enjoyable to watch.

Gov. Schwartzenegger is in attendance.

14. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Actually you'd be surprised how many kids play soccer outside. The "big three" are taking a serious hit in youth players with the growth of soccer. My family used to own a baseball park and it got to the point where we had to line out soccer fields across the outfield because there were so many fewer baseball teams.

And you're basically saying that regardless you don't want to give soccer a chance. My roommate has never played soccer in his entire life, he only learned the offside rule after trial and error playing FIFA 07. But now even he enjoys watching matches and when faced between an MLB or NBA game he chooses the soccer game almost every time.

Specialbear, the skill gap you speak of is much much less than you're presuming. No one presumes to say that the MLS is as good as the EPL or La Liga, to do so would be idiotic. As of late our best MLS teams have been just as good as the best Mexican teams, LA only lost by 1 goal to Chelsea (compare that to ManU beating the Japanese team 6-0), and they're improving every week.

Stop being a eurosnob when it comes to soccer. Our league isn't the best, but it's growing and it needs everyones support.

15. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Why's he a eurosnob for speaking the truth?

BTW; You can't base your conclusion on friendly games. That too would be idiotic.

16. Coachese

Hardly. The 'growth' of soccer has NOTHING to do with the popularity of Football, Baseball and Basketball. Nothing at all.

Football and Basketball have never been more popular and baseball suffers from the same problems it always has, namely the need for too many people and too much equipment to participate. The trend of diminishing popularity of baseball is expecially obvious in the inner citites where baseball is seen as boring (much like soccer really) and football and basketball are seen as ways out (i.e., make serious money).

Talk up soccer all you like - just don't blow wind up our a**ses and try to convince us that it is supplanting (or will supplant) the Big Three in this country. It just won't happen.

17. chang

chang Well-Known Member

Oh nice we have a psychic now who can see into the future, neat.

18. Coachese

He can also see into the past, and not coincidentally has written University papers on this very subject.

One point to consider: In 1994 the U.S. hosted soccer's biggest party. This was THE chance for Americans to embrace the beautiful game; the one great chance for soccer to prove to us that it CAN be exciting and fun, that sponsors would flock to this global sport, that TV ratings would go through the roof, etc. etc. etc. Well, the World Cup WAS fun, I had a blast (I went to the Brazil v. Cameroon match) - since then?

Nada. Football and Basketball have solidified its hold on the sports viewing public, baseball continues to set attendance records every year, and NASCAR is the fastest growing sport in the world.

Now, had you told me that because of the immigrant nature of this country (and thus a built in love for the game), that soccer HAD to get a boost in popularity, I might have agreed. Sadly, the fastest growing ethnic group in the US (Hispanic) aren't really being welcomed with open arms and even if they were? They (historically) prefer to root for the teams from their OWN country and do not (significantly) support the MLS in any way shape or form.

As an aside? If the Premiership and Serie A, with the best soccer talent in the world, less competition for sports fans attention and rabid fanbase are drawing LESS and LESS people to live matches every year (3 years on the trot), what hope does the MLS have? MLS games don't even have the benefit of having a TV contract with OLN (like the NHL does). Funny. OLN. OLN indeed.

19. mattback

mattback Active Member

and this is exactly why our kids are so fat these days.

i was playing all time quarterback for some kids a while back.

"TV TIME OUT!!" screams one of the little roly polies.

tv time out? you've got to be fucking kidding me. but he wasn't. little pudge face needed to catch his breath, and suck down some mountain dew.

it's a shame.

I played soccer from age 6 all the way up to age 13, when i collapsed on field as a right wing due to an asthma attack mid-game. that was the end of my league soccer playing :(

I love soccer. Fox Soccer Network was my favorite tv station next to discovery/history/military/science channels. I go to the uk pub macdinton's anytime a good premiership game is on.

I play soccer whenever my friends want to, but they always get out of breath :( stupid fat americans :(

20. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Humans are very simple creatures. If you say something enough times, they will end up believing it. If the powers-that-be conspired to make soccer (football) the most popular sport in America, it would be.

My theory why its not? It is FAR easier to sell products during television ads for the major American sports- there are so many breaks in NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA that the networks can break away for a commercial break and rake in advertising revenue. And sponsorship/advertising is synonymous with NASCAR to a sickening degree.

In soccer, the game is continuously going- even if a guy breaks a leg, the game continues (occasionally with a short break). There is no way to cut away for a commercial. And the networks and sponsors have yet to come up with a smart way to make soccer advertising as lucrative as the other popular American sports (the single sponsor or superimposed ads are just not the same). It just won't make anyone as much money.

Is it corporate greed? Absolutely. If you think you are immune to marketing, you are kidding yourself.