1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

David Beckam and Soccer in LA?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Kenpo Fist, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Kenpo Fist

Kenpo Fist Well-Known Member

I am so sick and tired of our local news here in Los Angeles with stories about the Beckhams like "New Hollywood IT couple" and "Welcome to Los Angeles the Royal Couple David and Posh Beckham".

Soccer will NEVER catch on here in the states with Americans. Who wants to watch 4 hours of kicking a ball with a final score of 2-1? Soccer sucks.

Whats really funny is when newscasters go up to random people here and ask what they think of David Beckam coming to L.A. Most people are saying things like "who is that?" or "I dont really care" or "Soccer really isnt interesting" or "Soccer sucks".

2. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Well-Known Member

ive played soccer every year since i was 4 and to me, its the greatest sport in the world. it actually is the most popular sport in the world. its not big in the US mainly because we are a drinking country with a football problem! (please dont take that serious, i saw it on a shirt and thought it was funny!) I had a chance to go see a European soccer match, and i must say, it was more exciting than any american football game ive ever been to! but to each his own i guess, i cant stand nascar but so many other people love watching cars drive in circles for hours?

Beckham wont be a huge asset to his team in general (he's kinda old for a soccer player now) but i do think his presence here will do good things for the sport here in the US. as far as the Hollywood "IT" couple thing goes though, id agree that all the news does get old though! :sleep:

3. Buster

Buster Active Member

He's still an excellent player and worthy of an England place - I imagine he'll make a huge different to LA Galaxy (well, as much difference as one player can make). That's not to mention the increased shirt sales and gate revenue.

I don't understand the US obsession with high-scoring sports and nothing else...it almost seems like people have no attention spans. Great sports like football (or "soccer" :lol:) and cricket (even though it is high-scoring) are wasted on US sports fans...Personally, I prefer lower scoring sports because there's more of a build up, and goals tend to be make-or-break to the result of a match. After all, "soccer" is the most popular and most played sport on Earth.

4. guano~~

guano~~ Active Member

:nod:
    agreed. I'm of the minority opinion amongst soccer fans in that I couldn't care less whether the game is commercially successful here or not. We have an outstanding youth program across our country that continues to grow and get better, we have a very solid league (MLS) that is watchable, and our national team will only continue to grow.
    :rolleyes:
    First, it's 90 minutes of play without commercial interuptions. American football is cumulatively, what, 20 minutes of actual physical movement beyond the huddle and beer commercials with about a four hour TV time investment? Second, well, nevermind. You really can't debate whether or not a sport "sucks" successfully.

:nod:

:eek: He had a cold streak to be sure, but he recently had a HUGE impact on helping his squad win the championship AND England is also regaining interest in his services. He's still amazing and will w/o a doubt be one of the best players in all of MLS.
    When Pele came to the states the soccer community itself loved it, but it did little in generating new fans.

As for the Hollywood "it" thing, sure I'll tag along and say it's pretty ridiculous and petty, but I'd be a hypocrite to go on a moral tirade against the horrors of gossip and the like. I'll glance at the shady gossipy papers in line at the grocery store, I admit it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one keeping the billion dollar industry alive:lol:

#4 guano~~, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  5. chang

chang Well-Known Member

Is this post really about Beckham or is it just a chance for you to voice your opinion about how soccer 'sucks'? Everybody has their opinions, just because Beckham is making millions playing a sport you think 'sucks', doesn't mean you have to go and bash him. There are a lot of people who respect him, and he was a brilliant player in his prime. He's a bit washed out now, I agree, however I'm not complaining. He proved himself, look at him now.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and will always be... the only thing you need is a ball. That's it, and you're playing soccer. Most sports require other equipment, which costs more money. Hence why soccer is played all around the globe and in third world countries. You don't see Hockey or American Football being played in every country do you? Go to a South American country or Africa and they will probably tell you Hockey, and American Football suck(even though it's a pretty ignorant thing to say, about any sport for that matter).

And if you think that soccer will never catch on in the USA then you are very mistaken my friend. With Beckham's arrival the growth of the MLS has just begun. And now with Canadian teams entering the MLS (Toronto FC this year), this is just proof that it is catching on. Viva futbol.

6. mepopo

mepopo Active Member

I think that the Spice Girls reuniting might assist in soccer getting bigger since Posh is married to Beckham. I rarely pay attention to sports things but I'm paying some attention to this since the Spice Girls rule. I dunno though, maybe I'm just special.

7. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Not just local, it's on everywhere. If you dont like it, just zap to another channel. ;)

It's 2x45 min last time I checked. And who wants to watch it? Billions :)
    It's the biggest game in the world.
    Oh and if you like high scoring, just pick any top USA team and match them up with a top European team :p

:nod::rolleyes:

He's actually in great form the last few months. Real Madrid actually wanted him to stay now.

8. Kenpo Fist

To answer your question, this post is about both. I just dont get it. My wife is Eastern European and loves soccer, she doesnt understand why Americans dont like it. I can go to any park here in LA and see little girls playing soccer all day long, then turn on telemundo and see adults playing and its the EXACT same thing. People kicking a ball.

Now I can see people playing football in a park, then turn on NFL to watch it and its a TOTALLY different experience.

Soccer will NEVER catch on here in the states because its just waaaay too boring to watch. Its only a big deal with Beckham because he and his wife both want to do movies.

9. mepopo

mepopo Active Member

The reason people find certain sports boring is because they don't fully understand how everything works. You are entertained by watching NFL because you understand all the rules and such, and I guess it also interests you.

10. chang

chang Well-Known Member

That's a pretty silly thing to say, your argument is pretty horrible. I could easily say that when I see people playing Golf at an average club, it's the exact same thing as the pro's who I see on TV, however the difference in skill level is much much greater. And exactly which Americans are you talking about? Where are you getting your sources from? I can guarantee you that millions of Americans love soccer. I think your American references are really just your own voice. Get some sources before you start putting words into other people's mouths please.

And if you think that soccer will never catch on in the USA because it's way too boring(even though billions find it very entertaining, so I dunno what you've been watching) to watch... then why is baseball so popular? Baseball has got to be the most boring sport of all time, but it's one of America's favorite sports. Again your arguments have no backups, they're solely just you flaunting on about how much you hate soccer, but guess what, there are billions of other people who love it. Get over it bud, soccer is the most popular sport.

#10 chang, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  11. cabster21

cabster21 Active Member

They have been one of the biggest couples here in the UK for around 10 years now. I don't have a problem with them trying to move into acting and more modeling. I mean, they are both known for being pretty simple.

As for the "soccer" argument, I think you just don't like it. It is defiantly growing in the states. But as I see it, it's very different over there. I may be wrong, but isn't hockey more popular in Canada? And NASCAR tends to be more popular in the South? I'm not too sure, being a pretty large and populated country, it will take longer. When the world cup was hosted in the states in 94, popularity significantly rose. And the fact you have mentioned it, since the arrival of David, shows it is already working. You may not like it, but if people are speaking about it, they’re more likely to check it out.

12. Kenpo Fist

Its not an argument dude, its how I feel and its how it is. There is no need for me to argue my point and what is a FACT. Soccer is just not popular in America. You're up in Canada so I think you're out of touch with whats going on here in America. There's no soccer on any network TV here and its because people dont watch. And because people dont watch, there are no sponsors who are willing to pay the networks to air it. It may be on almost 24hrs a day on the Spanish stations, but on regular network TV you dont see it.

So there are no words being put in peoples mouths here and the fact that its not on TV is source enough.

13. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm still waiting for Olympic weightlifting to catch on... :D I'm sure soccer has a better chance than that.

But, while it is the most played and watched sport in the world, Kempo is right that it's rarely on on American television. As well, while it is played by most young kids, by the time high school rolls around, at least in the Great Lakes region, those kids are no longer interested in it. High school football games are big events, but soccer rarely has a following at schools or in the local communities. Since that's where the prospective talent and audience for college soccer comes from, likewise, you don't see a following composed of much more than die-hard fans.

#13 chicanerous, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  14. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Well, seeing as Telemundo is one of the most watched network in the country (as the hispanic population is the largest minority in the states), soccer is very popular here. I would bet that most soccer games on Telemundo have 10x the viewership of a golf match on NBC or a network broadcast of the braves vs. the phillies. So, just because some demographics like NFL or MLB, you can't really discount the populations that you aren't familiar with.

The hispanic population- a HUGE marketing demographic=millions in ad revenue.

15. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

It helps to have actually played soccer to help you enjoy it. Anyway it's just the American sports culture /shrug, but you can't deny it is the most watched sport in the world. Tons of people watch Formula One in the world, but you never hear much about it in America :cry:

16. guano~~

guano~~ Active Member

The fact that soccer is not rivaling baseball in US revenue is a fact, sure. But you didn't say that. Remember the following gems? "Soccer sucks," "...it will never catch on," "Who wants to watch 4 hours of kicking a ball with a final score of 2-1," etc.

Thats far from fact. You CAN'T be shocked that you hit a few nerves when you make a post ignorantly denegrading the most popular sport in the world for no apparent reason.:nono:

17. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

I like Eleonardo's comment about seeing a high scoring game when combining the best American team against the best Euro team...that, unfortunately, WOULD be very high scoring I think.

Soccer is great, you can make the same "boring" argument about any sport if you simplify it down and present only the main characteristics...i.e. football: "It is boring because it is just a bunch of guys running around for 10 seconds and hitting eachother and trying to keep a guy from throwing a ball...and then doing it again...and again". You really have to understand the nuances and details of a sport before you can enjoy it. For example, what the different positions in soccer are responsible for, the offsides concept, the plays and management of the field...it is also probably the fastest paced game in the world...maybe why "lazy" America does not like it (???) So while it may not be the most popular sport in the U.S. it by far certainly is not boring as many millions of people in the U.S. who play or understand it would tell you. It is also catching on as are many new sports such as LaCrosse, Ultimate Frisbee (can you even believe that?) and soccer. As a final point if you think about it you dont call a mini-van/SUV full of kids driving mom a "football mom" or a "baseball mom", you call her a "soccer mom"...that has to be worth something right? :confused::lol:;)

18. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Everything else you said was spot on - except for this part. Anglo Americans will NEVER embrace soccer even 1/10th as much as the rest of the world. Soccer had its chance to 'catch on' in 1994 when we hosted the World Cup - nothing. And by 'nothing' I mean, well nothing.

The only way "America" will embrace soccer is if our Latin culture makes it so - and many of them aren't even legal much less in a position to support MLS and make it a viable, money making league.

One last thing about Beckham? In order to be a superstar in this country (in soccer or any other sport) you have to put 'the biscuit in the basket.' Superstars like Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, LaDanian Tomlinson, Jerry Rice, etc. excelled in the most visible way possible in their respective game. Hell, the only reason Jeff Gordon is popular is because he wins races. Tiger, Mickleson -- see the trend? Does anyone care who the best American tennis player on the planet is? Nope, he doesn't win.

Beckham does not score goals - he sets them up. And with the exception of the occasional free kick, his prime football genius is behind him.

Anyone know who led the WNBA in assists last year? Cool.

19. Specialbear

Specialbear Well-Known Member

Dude...

I cannot even tell you 5 players in the WNBA....

1) Lisa Leslie (is she still active)?
    2) Sue Bird
    3) Karl Malones daughter
    4) That really hot Tennesse player (or is she next year)
    5) That UCONN player of the year from last year (Tarase??)

That's me best attempt:(

20. Specialbear

Specialbear Well-Known Member

One more thing,

The (or one of) reason why football and basketball and baseball are so popular in the States is that we have leagues that contain the BEST players, with almost no exceptions. EVERY good player in any of those sports comes here.

Soccer, or that MLS stuff, is soooo boring to me and 95% of the population. Now, World Cup?? OMG HELL YES !! I will watch it at 3am, 4 am, whatever because they are the best of the best and the skill level is so shockingly above 'ordinary' that it transcends it.

America really needs to get European matches... but that poses a direct problem since our own league would get pissed off.