1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Dan's Transformation

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by tensdanny, May 4, 2004.

1. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Today:

50 minutes of competitive tennis

Deadlift:
    3x5 @ 315 - Super fast reps

Power Clean and press:
    3x5 @ 135 - Easy

Back Squat:
    2x5 @ 225 - light workout

My achilles are not healing very well. Both achilles tendons are super sore! Any tips on healing these bad boys in a hurry?

2. tensdanny

Alright guys, sorry I have been MIA. I have been battling a severe case of achilles tendonitis. This has completely dismantled my soccer and tennis seasons.

I think I got the initial injury from wearing crummy soccer shoes and playing a bit too hard one game. I could barely walk the next few days.

It's finally getting better, after 3 weeks. It still hurts after exercise and sometimes even during, but I can battle through it.

I'm going on a 6 week intense diet. I'm trying to get my wife to do it with me. She doesn't need to be as strict as she is very thin, but eating healthier and exercising regularly will be good for her general health.

I will resume posting daily updates, starting now!

Today:

1 hr of tennis serves

70 yard tractor tire flip!

The local high school has gigantic tractor tires outside for the summer for football players to work with. I gave it a whirl today, and I loved it! It's heavy, but not too heavy. It's definitely not easy. I flipped it probably 60-70 yards and was sucking wind extremely hard. I don't know how much the thing weighs, but it's taller than me and definitely quite challenging to transition from lifting it up, to getting under it to flip it. I really don't even have a guess, but it's a challenging weight. This will be a lot of fun! I foresee myself doing this daily for awhile!

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

No idea how to help with Achilles tendon. Hope you get better soon.

This should give you two an activity together.
    Looks like you found a new toy. HehHeh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

4. tensdanny

Achilles are feeling pretty good today after two days of activity on them. I did some sprints, etc on them yesterday. Pretty much pain free today!

Today I served some tennis balls, flipped the tire another 70 yards or so, then went an did an hour long Zumba class with my wife. It wasn't very tiring, but it was reasonably fun. It is better than running (though 1/8th the workout).

Diet was spot on today. Made a shrimp stir fry without using a sodium rich sauce. I used orange juice and crushed red pepper flakes for the sauce. It wasn't too strong but it did the job and still tasted reasonably well.

Tomorrow I have heavy lifting on the agenda and I cannot wait.

5. tensdanny

Played 1.5 hours of tennis yesterday. Was pretty low on energy. Didn't eat enough cals.

I have lifted like 3 times in the past month so I felt week as heck.

Squats:
    3x4 @ 275 - Okay, but I can do much better.

Bench:
    2x5 @ 205 - My arm is sore from flipping the tire, so I only did two sets.

Rows:
    3x5 @ 205 - Easy.

6. tensdanny

Yesterday was a minimal exercise day.

Today I had tennis league. I had a 3 set singles match that I eventually lost. Bummer. It was like 1.5 hours long.

Squats:
    3x5 @ 245 - Deload day

Military Press:
    3x5 @ 115 - Easy

Deadlift:
    2x3 @ 335 - Pretty heavy.

Getting back into the swing of things. Should be back up to maxes within two weeks!

7. tensdanny

Didn't do much exercise Friday or Sat. Was active both days, but I wouldn't call it exercise.

Yesterday:

Squat:
    3x5 @ 275 - Good sets. Legs are feeling good.

Incline Bench:
    3x5 @ 175 - I haven't done incline in forever. Someone was on the ONE flat bench at my new gym and they were taking forever. I didn't want to wait half an hour for that guy. Good sets, but pretty heavy.

Pullups:
    1x5, 1x1 @ bodyweight: Hard. I'm not very good at pull-ups yet.

I served tennis balls for 30-40 minutes, then I flipped the heavy tractor tire in a HIIT session. My heart beats so hard when flipping that thing. I went about 80 yards with it today.

8. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Do you have a USTA rating?

9. tensdanny

I'm a pretty decent 3.5 player. I think I could hang with a bad 4.0 player, but they'd probably ultimately beat me.

Yesterday my diet was spot on. I went very low carb and didn't cheat at all. Beautiful!

I went to Zumba for 1 hr with my wife. It was a more intense class and we were both pretty sweaty by the end.

Then I went and flipped the huge tractor tire for 70 yards or so. My heart was pounding super hard as usual. Flipping that bad boy is seriously intense. I have no idea how much it weighs, but it's pretty thick and 6' tall when upright. I get really low to the ground and launch it up with a supinated grip, then I try to get under it like a power clean with my grip flipped in the other direction so I can push it over. It's super fun for cardio, and hopefully making me country strong!

Today I have a bike ride and lifting session ahead of me. Can't wait!

10. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Looks like you're in a groove there danny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

11. tensdanny

I hope so! I'm feeling pretty good right now and really need to get back into the swing of things with working out.

In general, my married life is a lot of fun and pretty great. I really enjoy spending more time with my wife. Now that I'm getting back into working out seriously, it's really the best of both worlds.

Today:

I wanted to go on a bike ride but it started to thunderstorm :-/

Back squat:
    3x5 @ 285 - Felt really good. Super happy about it.

Bench:
    3x5 @ 205 - Pretty good as well. Really deep, good form.

Rows:
    3x5 @ 225 - Unhappy with form. I think I was lifting with my hips way too much. Unhappy about it!

Seated Rows:
    3x6 @ a 10 - I'm unsure how much weight this actually is as the weights aren't labeled. I really went slow and focused on form to really grind on my back. This felt great.

I'm going to add an exercise to my typical strong lifts routine daily. I want to make sure I'm really pushing myself to the max.

12. Azure

Azure Active Member

Hey buddy, just checking in to say hi. Looks like you're still doing great. Long time, I know. ;)

I got caught up in a move, and a new career....so life is bit hectic now. Haven't been hitting the weights as much as I want too, but I do a lot of other stuff.

Either way, keep it up!

13. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

You might check out some YouTube vids for advice on form - you can tear a biceps pretty easily like this.

14. tensdanny

Azure! Long time no see buddy! Hope all is well in your world!

Chop I really should check out some videos. Thanks for the tip. I would say my form is pretty sloppy and some of the time it does hurt.

Thursday I donated blood so I just took it easy.

Yesterday:

Back squat:
    3x5 @ 245 - This is my weekly deload day. Super easy.

Military Press:
    3x4 @ 125 - Working on NOT using any legs and bringing it all the way down to my upper chest. It's freaking hard to push it up. Once it gets to my chin it's a piece of cake, but the weak part is clearly between shoulders and chin.

Deadlift:
    3x5 @ 325 - These were really good reps. Pretty happy about it. Felt great!

15. tensdanny

My local high school now has tackling sleds out. Man, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I don't know if it's cool if I use the stuff, but I intend to keep doing so unless I get in trouble for it. I enjoy it too much!

Today I flipped the massive tire the length of a football field! It was great! My heart was ready to explode!

16. Azure

Azure Active Member

The tire flipping is amazing. Just a complete exercise that really kicks your ass.

I got pretty good at it back in the day. Get a sledge, and flip the tire 10x, then go for 25 hits with alternating grip. Some good functional exercises.

17. tensdanny

I biked 80 miles this weekend. Last week I was pretty busy with 3 days in a row of intense tennis. Lifted a couple of times as well.

Busy busy busy!

18. tensdanny

My weight is up 14 lbs but I'm guessing it's mostly water. I have eaten so much crap the past couple of weeks. Tons and tons of thai food.

On the plus side, I had my best lifting session ever.

I got 3 reps of bench at 225. Bomb diggity.

3 reps of backsquat at 315. Bomb diggity. Probably could have gotten more.

I have been insanely busy with tennis season lately. I biked 80 miles last week and played a billion tennis matches on the other days. I have been playing tennis 3x per week and each match has seemingly gone to 3 sets, so it has turned into a 3 hour production with warmup.

19. tensdanny

Today, I switched to this lifting routine for awhile. It's from Mastover and it's darn tough.

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=52708

Squats:
    1x20 @ 185 - The last 5 were pretty heavy.

Pullover & Press:
    2x10 @ 55 - This was my first time doing this exercise and the pullover portion is pretty tough. I felt off center the whole time. Maybe going down too far. Not sure. At any rate, the press was insanely easy :P

Pullups:
    5, 4, 3, 3, 3, fail - I failed after a few sets. I'm a fatty. These are with the a small strap to assist. I need to get better at pullups.

Military Press:
    2x10 @ 95 - The last two reps in the second set were darn tough. I was trying to keep super strict form and focus on the press off of my upper chest. I really want to build power from the push off point. I struggle with so many exercises, mainly dumbbell presses because I cannot get them up past my chest.

Seated Row Machine:
    2x10 @ 110 I believe - Good sets. Really felt this hammer every muscle in my back.

Calf Raise:
    2x10 @ 150 - I had to do this on a leg press due to lack of equipment. It worked out alright.

This was a tough workout. The squats and pullups are absolutely killer. While I don't think this workout is geared towards maximum strength, I was sweating hardcore by the end. It's tough!

I'm really amping up my biking and tennis the next 8 weeks or so. I'm doing a 100 mile bike ride and I want to beat the guys I'm riding with. Having said that, I was to slowly taper off the 3x squats per week, so for the time being I'm off of Starting Strength/Stronglifts.

I thoroughly believe in the value of squatting 3x per week. I have made a lot of strength gains while not gaining any weight. It's been great for cutting. I will switch back to this style of training once I finish the 8 week period.

20. tensdanny

I'm really sore already. Hot diggity dang that is a serious workout. The weights aren't super intense but it is hitting muscles I normally don't hit! Pullovers and pullups!