1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Dan's Transformation

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by tensdanny, May 4, 2004.

1. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

i weighed in at 151 today. I was 156-157 two days ago right away when i woke up. I look substantially thinner. I must have been storing alot of water. I cannot wait until I get to 10% body fat and lower. I imagine I am at like 12-13% right now, and really hope I can get down to 11% by Saturday the 24th. I'm going to a water park that day known as "Noah's Ark" with my girlfriend and her family. Last year it was a blast and I was way chunkier. Looking back at my recent pictures, I look quite pale, yet am really not that pale in real life. Hmmm. Maybe i'll do some tanning just in case.

As for working out, I had an excellent leg workout today. My Squat keeps going up and up and I love that. My deadlift is progressing at about the same rate as my Squat. My butt feels super tight today. It's awesome. :p

I notice my legs are really thinning out. This is such good news to me, since I stored a ton of fat in these thunder thighs and giant calves.

I've had an awesome week thus far. As much as I hate running/jogging, I am sucking it up and doing it anyway. I really don't have any other means of cardio then jogging. What I am doing is jogging very slowly on flat ground, and decline hills. On incline hills, I walk. Whenever my heart rate gets out of control, I slow it down a bit and walk. It seems to be working so far. I've been doing about 45 minutes a day. I am thinking about going further throughout my city rather than just going around my block, that way I am forced to go longer as I get far away and realize I have to get back, and push myself. As much as it sucks, I will keep at it until the sub 10% body fat.

Can anyone guestimate my body fat by the aforeposted pictures? they're on page two at the bottom I believe.

I'm off to eat my cottage cheese. Later.

2. tensdanny

Nearly 5 years later I'm at 250 pounds from drinking, partying, and the stress of college and work.

Over the past few years I have tried to get myself into a routine but every time I get some momentum going, I lose motivation.

Looking at these old pictures is really eye opening and how I look like an entirely different person.

Anyway, I am going to get back on the horse and see what I can do. I don't want to be one of those parents (someday) that is unhealthy and I REALLY don't want to be one of those parents that is too obese to play with their children.

3. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Hey tensdanny

That's quite the bump! :D What's your plan? Did you get married (early in my marriage I gained serious weight)?

Keep us updated. :)

Rogo

4. tensdanny

Well, the big thing was lack of exercise, lots of drinking in college, and lots of crappy food as income was short during those years.

I find the hardest thing in the entire battle is breaking comfortable habits. It blows my mind how *good* it feels to eat healthy and to prepare your own food. You're more energetic, it's cheaper, and it typically tastes very good as well!

But, that requires work, and we all know how much easier it is to take the easy way out, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

With that said, I've found that I'm much more sensitive to eating food later in the day than I ever could imagine, so I'm trying to pump most of my calories into my system early on in the day.

Diet wise, I know this is going to be a long term battle so instead of going with the "perfect" diet which I know I won't be able to stick to, I'm opting to go with foods I enjoy.

So far, I have opted to go this route with my breakfast.

1 egg - 60 calories
    1 apple - 100 Calories
    1 cup of Green tea - 0 calories
    1/2 Grape Fruit - 40 calories
    1 cup of Total Whole Grain - 110 calories
    1/2 cup Skim Milk - 46 calories
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter - 100 calories
    1 slice whole wheat bread = 90 calories
    Breakfast calories - 550 calories

Lunch will be a hearty salad of mixed vegetables with some olive oil and a little parmesian cheese for flavor. I'm not sure how many calories that will add up to, but I can't imagine it being more than a few hundred at the most. You can eat a lot of broccoli and not end up with too many cals.

My post workout shake is absolutely delicious and something that I really enjoy drinking. I pretty much chug the thing down after a workout!
    - 30 grams of mint chocolate whey concentrate
    - 60 grams of dextrose

For dinner, I think I'll go with some grilled chicken loaded up with crushed red pepper and cajun seasoning for flavor. I'm not too concerned about the sodium levels as I drink a lot of water. I'm thinking about having this with a large bowl of broccoli and sliced red bell peppers.

Before bed, I'll go with a cup of cottage cheese (oddly enough one of my favorite foods if it is the 1% deans type) and then take a couple of fish oil capsules

As for exercising, I find by far and away the most effective cardio for me is to run. I don't burn nearly as many calories on the elliptical. I'll be beginning to tackle this running plan, though I am going to add a week or two to the beginning and start out slower.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am planning on doing that 3 days a week, and lifting 4 days per week, sharing one of the days. I know I will not have the energy to combine the two at the beginning and to take full benefit out of both activities.

5. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Wow, I didn't think you were still around.

6. tensdanny

Alright, so, I'm off to a good start today.

I had my first workout in a long time. I did the first day of the 5k plan outlined in my previous post. 60 seconds on, 120 off is a lot for a big chunky dude!

I'm going to stick with just the jogging for a few weeks until I get into slightly better cardiovascular shape, then I will shift the focus to lifting with running complimenting it. Right now I cannot properly do squats without feeling like my heart is going to explode.

My breakfast takes forever to eat! I will have to work on a way to get the time required down. While delicious, it sure does take a heck of a lot of time.

7. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I don't think you have touched on this yet. What are your goals?

8. tensdanny

I don't really have a goal pertaining to what weight I'd like to be, but I'd like to be comfortable walking around without a shirt on and to be healthy.

Obviously, I've got a lot of weight that could be lost, but right now I'm focusing on just improving habits and making exercise and healthy eating a regular part of my life. My diet so far probably hasn't been ideal, but its been good enough to lose weight with, and something that I can eat every day for the rest of my life and enjoy! There's something to be said for that when it comes to sustainability.

In terms of specific things I'd like to do, I'd like to be able to successfully run in the annual "firecracker 4" run on the 4th of july, which is a 4 mile run. Back in 2005, I ran in a 5k or two, and I enjoyed that. I wasn't competitive about it, but it was fun training for it and finishing in about 25 minutes (the "Storm the Bastille" Bastille days run in Milwaukee).

Does anyone know of a good three day split resistance workout? I think the best bet will be to separate the days of my workouts. 3 days of intense cardio work, and 3 days of intense resistance work. I'm looking to add some some strength as I don't have a very good muscle base in my opinion.

At some point, I would like to be able to bench what I weigh. I don't know when or at what weight that will be, but that will be a very gratifying thing for me to accomplish.

9. tensdanny

I'm really hungry. I guess that comes with the territory of dieting. I'm about to go to bed, and I haven't picked up some cottage cheese yet, so I'm hitting the sack and will be ready to knock out my gargantuan breakfast bright and early tomorrow!

10. tensdanny

Well, I just finished my running workout again. Today I went on a treadmill to better gauge my speed (consistency is king) and time(I don't want to cheat, and I feel that I slow down on the track when I look back at the giant clock on one end of the track).

I enjoyed that a lot more. I'm debating whether I want to cook up some baked chicken breasts with the bone in them (Yum!) or grill up a turkey burger (quick and easy).

I'll probably go with the chicken and then have that for lunch tomorrow as well.

I'm still looking for some advice on a resistance 3-day split. I'm looking for something for a beginner to gain some strength despite cutting. I don't have a lot of strength of experience lifting, so I have a hunch I can make some pretty good gains despite being at a calorie deficit.

11. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

12. tensdanny

Pete man, that 100 meter dash in 10.8 is flying! I wish you the best of luck! What is your PR currently?

You used to post at PR right? Why'd you stop?!?

How long should a workout like the one posted take? One of my concerns has always been that I'm not keeping my intensity up and taking too long in between exercises.

#52 tensdanny, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  13. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Current PR is 12.2 twice. Yes, you read that correctly.

You see, that's the thing. I wasn't anywhere close to that last season. Based on personal experience in other aspects -- marathon and the training, which were both tough as sh*t -- I know I can accomplish anything I put my mind to. I'm also putting in the work (shoveling the track, running sprints on Christmas day, when it's -20, weighted core training, ME lower days, etc). I have the relative body strength to be a great sprinter, I just have to get the mechanics down.

I'm not going to use blocks this year and that in itself will shave at least half a second off of my time. We've timed this and it has shown.

While I'm a Packers fan, I just wasn't that interested in the team.

14. tensdanny

Oh man, I just had some more of that chicken for dinner tonight, and it is spectacular. I loaded it up with crushed red pepper (think pizza place) and it was delightful!

Now its time to settle in and relax. Tomorrow and Friday I've got to jog again.

15. tensdanny

Well, I am bumming pretty hard because I dislocated my ankle and have what the doctors described as a high ankle sprain after a brutal fall snowboarding. The nose of my board got stuck and my body ripped my ankles around in the bindings. Hurt like hell.

This is going to be a major set back and I am bumming right now :(

16. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

This would be a perfect excuse for you to quit, but I know you won't do that. You won't quit, because you understand that life is full of constant set-backs, and situations like yours are a great opportunity to grow as a person. By rehabing the injury and coming back to your original plan in a few weeks (lose weight, bench press your bodyweight, etc.) , you can build references for yourself that you overcame a roadblock and those references will enable you to succeed in your future endeavors.

17. tensdanny

Yeah, I'm not going to quit, but it is definitely not a good thing. Hopefully by keeping it elevated and keeping the splint on for support, it will be healed within a week or two.

18. zero to hero

zero to hero Active Member

Nightmare feel for you that sort of injury is a set back. :( Time to concentrate on upper body and core for a couple of weeks. Make sure you give it time to heal you don't want to break down all through the season. Good Luck :tu:

19. tensdanny

I appreciate your sentiments. Knowing people actually read this and could potentially be inspired is a really good motivational tool to keep going and never give up!

20. tensdanny

I really want to work out! Man, this sucks. Hopefully within a week or two I can start doing upper body again.