1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Dan's Transformation

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by tensdanny, May 4, 2004.

1. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Hi, i have been posting here for awhile now, and have decided i want to document my journey to a new, healthy Dan. I started this journey about 3 months ago when I saw the transformation my friend Jonno, aka Jmumm at these forums made, and he really inspired me. He showed me this website, and I read all about John, and was in disbelief. I decided for lent I was going to begin eating cleaner, but i still continued eating dirty. I weighed in at 179 in the middle of february. I am now down to 155 about, depending on the day. I am roughly 5'9" tall, so i'm fairly short, and i am still pretty pudgy. I would say I have a medium build, and i figure if i lose 10 pounds more fat, i will be in pretty good shape body fat % wise. i intend to post pictures soon. At no point was I far out of shape, however, i was always far from being in shape at the sametime. I have always maintained decent health from playing tennis on occasion. However, I have always been pretty weak, and have decided through weight training I was going to slim down and tone up my body. My goal is to get so toned and low bodyfat that I can see a six-pack of abs.

for my final push i am really on a low amount of calories, and if you have microsoft excel, it can be viewed at

also, i have a blog i keep if anyone wants to read that, i link to this page from there.

http://tensdanny38.blogspot.com

expect an update with tomorrows workout.

#1 tensdanny, May 4, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. tensdanny

today was shoulders, forearms, and biceps.
    i felt my shoulder workout today was pretty good, but i feel as though i can do more. I am up to shoulder pressing 140 on the machine. I don't do freeweight upright shoulder press as it scares the dickens out of me. I did some lateral raises to work my deltoids, and then did the same thing while bending over. For biceps, i can only curl about 50 pounds, so i did some seated arm curls, then did some cable curls, then went with a 20 pound dumbell in each and did a ton of curls that way. my arms are not as strong as i'd like them to be. I then did some forearm work, but not too much of it. Overall a pretty easy day, tomorrow is my extreme ab day, then friday is insano chest/tricep day. i love fridays. Thats where my big strides come.

Today i made turkey tacos with low expectations, and needless to say, they blew any other taco i've ever eaten out of the water! they're delicious! i consumed far too many of those, but am doing pretty good for the day still.

peace.

3. jmumm

jmumm Well-Known Member

I reckon you do standing shoulder press and sitting db shoulder press

I love em :D

4. tensdanny

today i was playing around with some great divinities and my blender. I created a new breakfast shake that greatly outdoes total protein in goodness. It includes the following:

1 scoop chocolate flavored All the Whey Protein
    5 grams Glutamine powder
    1 whole banana broken into small pieces
    8 oz skim milk
    4 oz water
    8 ice cubes
    one serving of dannons lit and fit fat free strawberry yogurt

it is amazing tasting! mmmmm!

as for the rest of my food today,
    i woke up to my usual glutamine and protein w/ water, and a serving of protein total.
    I had a turkey sandwich on wheat bread at 10 am followed by another at 12:13 for lunch.
    I had my workout from 3-335 since all i worked on was abs.
    I came home, created my shake, and had a chicken breast for dinner, along with some carrots and brocholli.
    Right now i'm getting ready for my 1/2 cup of fat-free cottage cheese, and then i'm off to bed.

I did 4 dot drills tonight around 10 for my cardio for the day. Those things are absolutely killer, especially the left foot only step.

Homework was pretty fair tonight, but it was tough to complete with the whole 2 hour final episode of friends and all. Needless to say though, i got it done.

My day was pretty stellar.

Jmumm, want to lift with me sometime, show me a few tricks of the trade?

5. tensdanny

my chest lifts keep going down, i don't understand it. i just want to get in shape fast!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHH!!

6. tensdanny

today is my senior prom, so fitness really won't be accounted for. I will do my best to eat healthy, and i won't eat any of the junk at post prom. It's at the local ymca(post that is) so i think i will get my fair share of basketball in. I did 4 dot drills today. I clock in at around 53-55 seconds per drill. The left-foot set of 5 is what kills me, it is incredibly difficult. My quickness has greatly improved since starting this.

I was doing these without my shirt today, and you could see my heart throbbing through my chest. it was pretty gross. i am still going strong cutting, and having a good time doing so.

my exercise today was the dot drills, and mowing the lawn. We'll see what comes tonight at post-prom, i'm sure alot of exercise will ensue there, as i love 5 on 5 full court bball!

7. tensdanny

i think i am getting to that point where the progress really starts to slow down for those last ten pounds. I have no idea what my body fat is right now, but i have seen people say they're around 12-13 and i am not as defined as them but who knows. i am 5'9", and 156 pounds.

i guess it just seems weird to me since the pounds were dropping off me so fast at the beginning, now it's starting to slow. Maybe my body just adjusted?

8. tensdanny

today was my best day of lifting yet. i lowered alot of my lifts to work on picture perfect form with the weight room supervisor(professional body builder taylor rose) and holy cow am i feeling a difference right now. I worked my back today, and with the perfect form, the muscles were worked 10x better than i've ever worked them before. It is an amazingly feeling right now as i think this is going to help me get out of my rut. I also took jeremy likness' advice and had a few more carbs on the day. I had a piece of whole grain wheat bread 30 minutes before lifting, and from now on maybe i'll have a bowl of total. I am feeling really good right now, and I leave for work at best buy soon. When I return home at 10, 4 dot drills are awaiting me. I cannot wait.

:nod:

9. tensdanny

my weight seemingly keeps going up and i eat so clean. i have plenty of fat to lose so i don't understand it. if you read this, help me!

10. tensdanny

ate a great sum of food today. around 2200 calories, hopefully this boosts up my metabolism a bit and i get back on track. I did it with all clean food too, so i doubt it hurt too much.

I did squats for the first time today, and my legs are killing me. I just learned how to do the correct form for like an hour with just the bar, and my legs were killing me. Eventually I put on 10's on eachside just for the purpose of a little weight with the form. I've got it down pat i'd say. It is really complex though.

Next week i'll go heavier and gradually build this up.

i'm going to go do 4 dot drills now. later.

11. tensdanny

GD!
    i feel fat and bloated. i don't feel like i'm burning food like i was three weeks ago.
    I am going to not step on the scale for another 3 weeks starting today, when it was 160, but that was with water weight.

I suppose maybe it's been the occasional piece of cheese and peanut butter that i haven't been accounting for that are stunting my progress in weight loss. I have updated my diet accordingly, and swear to myself from here on out i am done cheating as it is only hurting me. I am eating clean 100% rather than 95% until I achieve my goals!

Food Consumed Calories Fat Carbs Sucrose Sugar Protein Fiber
    6:45 AM
    1 Scoop All The Whey Protein w. Water 108 1 2 0 22 0
    5g Glutamine Powder w. Water 18 0 0 0 4.5 0
    1 Banana 105 0 26 0 1 1
    10:00 AM
    Turkey Sandwich on WGW Bread 280 9 26 1 34 6
    12:00 PM
    Turkey Sandwich on WGW Bread 280 9 26 1 34 6
    2:40 PM
    3/4 cup Whole Grain Wheat Total 170 1 27 3 3 3
    3:00-4:30 Workout
    5:00 PM
    7:00 AM
    1/2 TBSP Natural PB 100 6 6 1 4.5 1
    Brocholli 34 0 6.5 0 3 2.5
    Chicken Breast 227 3 0 0 50 0
    10:00 PM
    Cottage Cheese 100 3 7 3.5 13 0
    3 g Glutamine 10.5 0 0 0 3 0
    Total 1558.5 33 128.5 14 198.5 19.5
    Macro-Nutrients 297 514 794
    % of Composition 19.06% 32.98% 50.95%

how is this looking? hopefully this can get me to my goal of 9% body fat. i estimate i'm at 13-14% right now.

12. tensdanny

After calculating my body's metabolic rate to be roughly 2800 because of all my physical activity, i have produce a new diet that should hopefully allow me to burn 2 pounds a week! :-) !

Here it is

Food Consumed Weekdays Calories Fat Carbs Sucrose Sugar Protein Fiber
    6:45 AM
    1 Banana 105 0 26 0 1 1
    1 Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt 90 0 16 12 6 0
    3/4 cup Whole Grain Wheat Total 110 1 27 3 3 3
    4 oz Skim Milk 40 0 6.5 6.5 4 0
    1 Slice Whole Grain Wheat Bread 90 1 17 3 4 2
    Turkey 70 3 0 0 26 0
    1 Slice of American Cheese 30 2.5 0 0 3.5 0
    Turkey 70 3 0 0 26 0
    2:40 PM
    3/4 cup Whole Grain Wheat Total 110 1 27 3 3 3
    3:00-4:30 Workout
    7:00 PM
    1/2 TBSP Natural PB 100 6 6 1 4.5 1
    10:00 PM
    Total 1828.5 32 211 44 214 20.5
    Macro-Nutrients 288 844 856
    % of Composition 15.75% 46.16% 46.81%

Weekends! Calories Fat Carbs Sucrose Sugar Protein Fiber
    1 Banana 105 0 26 0 1 1
    Jewel Apple Cinnemon Instant Oatmeal 130 1.5 26 12 3 4
    Spring Tree Sugar Free Syrup 30 0 12 0 0 0
    Turkey 70 3 0 0 26 0
    3:00 PM
    Turkey 70 3 0 0 26 0
    1 Banana 105 0 26 0 1 1
    1 TBSP Natural PB 200 12 12 2 9 2
    7:00 AM
    12:00 AM
    Total 2023.5 37.5 236.5 56.5 227 20.5
    Macro-Nutrients 337.5 946 908
    % of Composition 16.68% 46.75% 44.87%

with that said, i had a kick-ass chest workout today! it was awesome!

13. tensdanny

i donated blood today, and didn't workout. my girlfriend came back from college, and i finally got to see her for the first time in 3 weeks, so that was the highlight of my day. tomorrow i am going to do quite a bit of cardio, and some ab work, and try out the new weekend diet.

14. tensdanny

played some tennis today, spent time with the girlfriend, and did some dot drills. That's about the extent of my workout today. I am going to do some pushups, and ab work as well right now.

15. tensdanny

did yard work all day today. My tan is coming along really well i think. Generally I am a pretty pasty fellow as one can deceiver from the above pictures. With school during the day, it is pretty difficult to get a good tan however. From tennis, I of course have the stellar farmers tan on the forearms and biceps :tu:

Anyway, today I stuck with my weekend diet completely, and it was quite delicious. On top of the deliciousness, I am kind of hungry right now, which means(i think atleast) that I am burning off my food like whoa. If this notion is incorrect, please notify me as i'd like to maximize my effectiveness.

School is almost done with for good, then onto college in August. That is going to be a blast, I cannot wait.

The girlfriend is in florida with her family for the week, so i am going to focus really hard on fitness and see what comes of it. I figure with my diet, and intense exercise, 2 pounds of solid fat can easily be shed this week! :-) !

later.

16. tensdanny

I was just wondering today if anyone has a hard time eating healthy while in college. I intend to use the cafeteria for the most-part my freshman year, and cannot foresee that containing foods prepared in a healthy manner. I foresee a challenge coming, which sucks since i want to bulk a bit during college.

Today I had a phenomonal back workout. It was simply incredible. Finally my friends came lifting with me again, so I had people to talk to and to compete with on lifts. It feels really good being the strongest of all my friends. Everything but my chest is fairly strong.

Ate around 2000 calories today, so at about an 750 calorie deficit. This is far better then my 1400 a day for several weeks which resulted in no weight loss, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully this proves to be successful and gets me lookin' good.

I invision myself having a brad pitt fight club-esque body in two months or so. That would be really cool, and I'd be very satisfied with that. :D

I really feel as though i'm back on track, and full of energy, which sucks, since it's 11:30 and i need to get to sleep!

Tomorrow is my leg day, and I look forward to doing some serious squats, deadlifts, calf-work, dot-drills, and leg curls. I cannot wait, should be a wonderful day ahead of me.

If anyone reads this, please comment my thread feels so lonely

17. tensdanny

Today I consumed around 2300 calories, which is good since my maintaince is supposedly around 2900. We'll see how i feel tomorrow. I must say i consumed a ton of food, alot of it was veggies. I'm stuffed to the maxx!

I did legs today, really focused on my squats and hamstrings. Being only my 2nd day of doing squats, i started off with just 25's on each side. That was good and nice and all, but I felt like a sally, so I went for the 45's. I did this, but it was really tough, and I don't think my form was too super so i'm going to go back to the 25's until i get stronger and better with the whole ordeal. How much does one normally begin squating with? I also did some dead lifts for the first time, and once i got the form down, my butt is quite stiff right now.

No cardio today, as I was rather busy with my high school band concert. It went pretty well. Good times.

I cannot wait for my shoulder day tomorrow! It is insanely exciting! I am going to be pumping some serious iron tomorrow. :)

I'm feeling much better about my diet right now. When I consume right around 2000 calories, I feel much fuller, and hopefully will be dropping the weight faster as I would like to get ripped as soon as possible. Also, now that i'm not consuming 1400 calories a day, and only about 50 grams of carbs, i find my lifts greatly going up right now, and my stamina is increased as well. Consuming 200 carbs a day is definitely helping me out greatly.

Hopefully the added calories are putting me closer to my goal with every passing minute.

I have a hunch i have about 12-15 pounds of fat left to lose, which needs to hurry up and get off!!!!!!!

18. carlie_lou

carlie_lou Well-Known Member

Hi Danny, Congrats, looks like you've made some excellent progress. Im no expert but mybe the bloating is coming from the bread. Try getting your carbs from another source. :gl:

19. tensdanny

you think so?
    :) thanks for posting, i'll see what i can do to fix the diet up. i do so love my bread though :p

20. tensdanny

alright, so it's been awhile. I've been eating really clean, and have had good results in lifting since upping my calories. With graduation next sunday, life has been hectic. Today I absolutely gorged at our senior trip since i figure it was a good excuse to party. Tomorrow and there after is back to strict dieting. I am not losing weight anymore, but toning up. I guess for being 5'9", 155 pounds isn't too bad.

Today i had 3 slices of thin crust cheese pizza
    3 hamburgers
    oatmeal for breakfast
    a chocolate chip cookie
    a brownie
    a mini chocolate cream puff
    and thats about it.

gameworks is a really fun place. whoever came up with the unlimited gaming per hour arcade is a genius! today was great!