1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Dan Swanton's Fitness Transformation

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by danswanton, Mar 6, 2006.

1. danswanton

danswanton Well-Known Member

Week 10

[​IMG]

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Dedication towards positive goals is also known as passion. As long as you're not plagued by negative thoughts about what would happen to you if you didn't follow through with your passions, you're not taking anything too far.

You've made awesome progress and look freaking great. You're also deservedly proud of yourself. If there's anything wrong with that, sign me up! :tu:

M@

3. danswanton

Week 11

[​IMG]

4. danswanton

Week 12

[​IMG]

5. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

Well done for your great progress. :claplow: At 5.2% your abs should have been solid ripped even at an unflexed state, a little puzzling indeed. Looking great nevertheless.

6. danswanton

Week 13

[​IMG]

7. danswanton

Thank you!

Yeah, I agree. Clearly my body fat measurements must be wrong.

I really don't get how every test I can find puts me well below 8%, yet I look nothing like people at 8%.

I think I'm going to get my body fat professionally tested soon.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Maybe your fat % is correct. Therefore, maybe you need to do more crunches etc., so that your abdominals get better developed, so that they can start to show. What kind of ab work do you do? If you are 5'11", at 160, you can't really get much thinner, unless you want to look like a marathon runner.

9. danswanton

Week 14

[​IMG]

10. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

What's your ab routine. I'm no expert, but I know that others will help out. You have made progress, you chest grew. I need to post my picture's on my journal as well, but I think my body looks similar to what yours did at the beginning, only Im shorter and my gut is bigger. So in a way I guess I can look at your progress and hope that it comes along as well as yours (even though I'm trying to bulk. Keep up the good work.

11. danswanton

I've only been doing abs seriously for about a month, unfortunately. I've been working them once a week, as if they were any other muscle. I do weighted crunches on two different machines for sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, and 6. And then I either do normal crunches or swiss ball crunches. My routine does seem to be working, because my abs are on fire afterwards, and in fact the pain in my stomach gets so bad that I cannot sleep the night after an ab workout. Sleep is so important to me, however, that I have to stop doing this.

I think I will try a different, lighter routine with just body weight crunches, and maybe do it a few times a week. I do think the lack of size in my abdominal muscles is starting to hurt me. I'd read so many times that abs are made in the kitched not the gym that I thought just losing weight would be enough for my six pack. It may still be, and perhaps if I lose a few more lbs the abs will start to show, but I'm getting pretty skeptical at this point.

I told myself that I would stop cutting at 160 lbs, but I expected to have abs by now. I think that I will stop if I get to 157, abs or no abs. I intend to maintain after my cut, and then start a slow, controlled bulk in september.

I made an appointment with a personal trainer for next tuesday to test my body fat, so hopefully I will have a better idea soon of where I really am.

12. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Awesome work and progress! You are looking really good. Maybe, like you said, the reason you don't see abs is because you haven't exercised it long enough yet. They should be popping out soon. I'd be a happy man if I were at your stage!

One thing I suggest for you to do is more lower-chest exercises. What kind of chest exercises are you doing? How do you do them?

13. smalltex

smalltex Well-Known Member

Just my two cents here. I dropped down from 155 to about 132 with the goal of getting abs a couple of years back. Like you I assumed if I lost enough fat they'd be there. Didn't work for me either.

I shifted gears and started a slow bulk and am back up to about 147. Hit the weights a lot harder after joining a gym. Anyhow, I don't have six pack abs by any means, but I can see abs under the fat that I've got unlike before when I was a rail. When I decide to finally cut I think I'll get them.

I think that business about just cutting down into the single digits to get abs is not right. I think you need to have good ab muscle mass for them to show well also. You'll get there, but I bet faster if you start a good clean slow bulk, then cut again. I think you've made a ton of progress from where you were.

14. danswanton

Thank you!

I don't do any exercises that are specifically for lower-chest. You can tell that just by looking at me, eh? :)

I do three chest exercises: flat barbell bench press, pec flys using two cables, and the pec fly machine. It's probably about time that I tried new exercises, and perhaps even a new rep/set routine.

15. danswanton

Thanks for this post, smalltex. I'm really struggling right now with whether I should continue to cut.

I like how thin I am everywhere except in my stomach. Actually, I'm almost too thin elsewhere. I went shopping yesterday and it looks like my shirt size is sometimes an S now, and my pants size is down to 31. I would definitely stop losing weight right now, except I want those abs...

And then there's the worry that I will never have abs -- that there's some sort of genetic barrier for me. I do have a pretty messed up (read: crooked) upper body and naturally small legs. But then I don't want to fall into the common trap of using genetics as an excuse and a reason to give up.

It's encouraging to hear that you've had a similar experience, and that you've made progress by bulking. Perhaps I won't have abs at all this year, and I will have to wait until next year after I bulk then cut. That would be disappointing, but acceptable.

I will probably end up making my decision based on tomorrow's body fat % reading from the trainer. If he confirms that I'm below 8%, I'm going to stop cutting. Otherwise, I will continue. (If he seems incompetent I'll have to get a second or third opinion.)

16. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

You could start doing incline bench press for upper chest and decline bench press for lower chest or whatever exercises you feel comfortable. I personally like cables. If they come from your back and bellow, you will be working your upper chest, coming from back/up, you will be working your lower chest. bodybuilding.com has a really good exercise guide with pictures and videos:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

17. danswanton

Week 15

[​IMG]

18. danswanton

I'm constructing a list of foods that I eat. The primary motivation for this list is so that I can give it to my girlfriend's mom, who is frustrated by my restricted diet. In addition, creating the list has also forced me to rethink what I eat and what I could potential add.

Protein:
    fish (salmon, cod, tilappia, tuna, swordfish, anything)
    chicken (boneless, skinless breast)
    turkey
    lean beef
    ground turkey
    veggie burgers
    steak
    eggs
    beef jerky
    turkey bacon

Carbs:
    sweet potato
    oatmeal
    whole grain bread
    beans (black, kidney, lima, any kind)
    potato
    whole grain wraps / pitas
    whole grain pasta
    brown rice

Fats:
    almonds (preferabbly unsalted)
    any kind of nuts (preferrably unsalted)
    olive oil

Dairy:
    cottage cheese (low fat, low sodium if possible)
    plain yogurt
    skim milk

Fruit:
    blueberries

Vegetables:
    spinach
    broccoli
    asparagus
    edamame beans (soy beans)
    green beans
    snow peas
    corn
    peas

Things to Avoid:
    sugar
    butter
    white flour
    fried food

I'm open to suggestions. The fruit list is so short because I don't like fruit.

19. danswanton

Week 16

[​IMG]

20. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

I just wandered on this thread and just wanted to say those are absolutely bitchin goals! I didn't exactly see where you got them from but it seems to be related to some type of marine work. Special Forces qualifications?

The hardest goals will likely be the combined 18 minute 3 mile with the 2x BW squat. Your body is almost ideal for this though.

I'm going to put up those numbers on the wall in my gym for inspiration!(minus the BF%, its more vanity in my opnion and may interfere with the objectives, just kidding. And the HR, i figure it'll be what it'll be as long as i'm fit).

Good luck and keep working hard!

Edit- I don't know how you are training the run, but to get down to 6 minutes you'll most likely need a fair amount of speed work. 400's.
    You are already almost there on the bench. NICE.
    Squats are just going to take time strengthening the hips and quads. Box Squats, sumo deadlifts, RDL's etc.
    Consider doing weighted pull up's now that your weight is down and you are doing >10 reps.

#40 jwdiho, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006