1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

CyclingMedic's Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Cyclingmedic, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

Here we go again. I figured I can try and start this as many times as I like and eventually it will stick.

Basic Information:
    Gym: NYSC (145th or 125th St. mostly)
    If you are a member a workout buddy would be great!
    Also very interested in cycling.
    DOB: 06/19/1985 Age: 27
    Weight at start was 171lbs
    Current Weight: 164lbs
    I plan on posting my measurements this weekend. If they aren't up today they will be tomorrow.

Let me know what other information I should add.

Workout Plan:
    I have decided to start with a quick workout plan from Bodybuilding.com called The Bizzy Diet 21-Day Fitness Plan. I am very new to lifting. I got into it like 6 years ago but have basically dont nothing since so still feel very awkward etc. I know the only way to get over this is to just go and get over it. I figure this is an easy plan I can stick to that should provide me with some good basics. I would appreciate any feedback. My profile on bodybuilding.com is medicpig if you wanna add me on there.

Diet:
    I have been a vegetarian for the past 5 years. I am a true vegetarian, I don't eat fish. I am experimenting with being Vegan but that is a long road. Since the beginning of the year I have been trying to not purchase animal by-products for my home but am not strict about it when getting stuff out places. I eat whole foods, rarely eat fast food and usually when I do it is Subway or something like that. Obviously being vegetarian there aren't lots of fast food options for me anyway. I have been reading Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness as well as Thrive for some good nutritional information. Nutrition is a huge challenge to begin with some making it more difficult by being vegan or vegetarian is going to make this a super long road. Eating meat isn't an option for me though so I plan on sticking it out and seeing how things go. If anyone has sound information or knows of any good reading material that will help me out please let me know. Finding that information is rough. I have an account on myfitnesspal, my screenname is dustincarter19 if you wanna follow or friend me on there. They estimate my daily intake before adding in calories from exercising to be 1490, I feel this is low even though I want to cut. Where is the good stickie on calculating daily calorie counts?

Supplements:
    Soy Protein from Optimum Nutrition
    25gm Protein
    Fat Burner
    HyperShred

Goals:
    Immediate: Go to the gym 5 days a week till the end of March. I have an event at the end of March that I want to look my best for. If I could get rid of my bit of love handles and trim my waste a little I would be happy.

6 Months: I want defined Arms and Pecs. I have never had pecs and I want to see some real progress in 6 Months. I also would like to have some definition in my arms (unflexed) I also would like to have made a true lifestyle change by now. I want the gym to be as routine as brushing my teeth.

November 2013 ride the Cycle for a Cause benefiting the LGBT Center in NYC. It is a approx 270 mile bike ride from Boston to NYC over 3 days. If I could do the 2nd day of the ride, 108 miles, in 5hrs I would be on top of the world. I am a long way from a 5hr century though. In 2011 I completed the SMART Ride from Miami to Key West, FL. It was 165 miles over 2 days. I only SAGed 8 miles because my partner needed it. I was more proud of my physical achievement than I could have ever expected. I want to complete another ride and the Cycle for the Cause is going to be my next.

I don't feel I know enough right now to make any weight or measurement goals. I feel if my main focus is consistency than other things should fall into place. I know and don't expect to be shredded in a year but if I stick with everything I should be in a much better place in 2014 than I am today. If I could be shredded by 30 than that would be AWESOME!

I look forward to posting stuff and hearing back from all of you.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Where do you do most of your cycling, Central Park?

A five hour century is smoking fast. :tucool:

3. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

I just moved here in November and haven't been on my bike yet. I plan on riding in Central Park but also down riverside park. I would love to figure out a morning loop that goes around the island.

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Good luck! It sounds like you've got reasonable goals and just need to implement strong protocols to achieve them. It doesn't sound like you're starting from a bad place either - just a "I want to improve" type of spot, I'm guessing?

5. brownguy

brownguy Well-Known Member

Hi

Nice to see you've made a journal. Looks like a great start except I have to ask one thing. Why don't you think you can get shredded in a year?

6. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

Yeah, I could be a lot worse and I am already in a better spot than I was. I am not the biggest I have ever been right now. Most people would be pleased with wear I am I am just a "skinny fat" person. I have enough on my small frame to make me look a little chubby but I am far from fat. I guess the good thing is once I get where I want to be my diet can probably flex quite a bit and as long as I keep on track and stay at the gym I shouldn't see back sliding.

7. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

lol, thanks for the challenge. I guess my main hang up is I think of people with those huge transformation having an exact plan. Everything worked out down to a science. I feel I need A LOT more info before I am at that point. I am very excited to see were I will be in a year. Things are feeling a lot different this time. Excited to know I will definitely be sticking it out.

8. brownguy

Yup. And you'll have a lot company sticking it out with you. Make sure to take progress pics and post them when you're comfortable!

9. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

Weekend Report

I wanted to get to the gym this weekend but didn't. My plan is to go Monday-Friday though so I am fine, I just wanted to get some extra cardio in. I went out Saturday night and was pretty hung over on Monday. My drink of choice is gimlets so I am not out pounding beers back. My cheat day was today and I had pizza and oreos but didn't go grazy overboard. Excited for this week. I start my new workout tomorrow morning.

My past week's summary is as follows with measurments.

Tracked by Polar FT80
    Total Workout Time: 2:53
    Calories Burned: 1266

Waist: 35.2
    Bicep (Unflexed): 12.5
    Chest: 36.5
    Thighs: 20.8

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/medicpig/

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

How's the new workout going?

11. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

Things have been going very well! Just finished my workout this morning and been here every morning this week. U still feel very awkward with lifting but getting better. I find myself struggling to finish the workout in the time they claim it can be done though. I have had to leave without finishing so I am not late to work. I plan on not letting this happen next week. My goal for this week is to get to the gym everyday and I am right on track for that. :-).

12. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

I used to think that too. I would come to John's front page and think "man look how organized and detailed this is... I need to do this." When in reality the only thing I really needed was to eat around 2000 calories of meat and veggies per day and lift as much as my body would allow. Then keep doing that until I got to where I wanted.

Everyone's plan is going to be different and only you are going to have to find that out. The community would gladly help you answer any questions you might have in that regard to speed up the trial and error process too.

By the way, how tall are you?

13. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Good job on the consistency. That is one of the hardest things to maintain.

I wouldn't worry so much about not following the "correct" timing according to your workout plan. It's better to do it more slowly so you have good form and range of motion and you don't risk injurying yourself.

How much of it are you having to skip? Is it possible to get to the gym a bit earlier to account for the extra time it takes you to do the workout?

14. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

I am 5'8".

15. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

Yeah, I am going to allow more time next week. The workout I am doing is supersets which is hard in the gym because by the time I get back around to the first exercise chances are someone has changed the weights or something.

16. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Ah, yes. I run into this problem, too. Unless I go super early in the morning it's almost impossible for me to do any real supersets or circut workouts on machines. This is one reason that I generally stick to dumb bells for as many exercises as I can: I grab a bench, pull out the dumb bells I need, and I can do things at what pace I want without worrying about what other people are doing.

17. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

Me too :tu:

18. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

Awesome!

19. brownguy

Let me second what these are guys are saying. Get the rough numbers right, work hard and stay consistent - you'll be amazed how much you can progress without being exact

20. Cyclingmedic

Cyclingmedic Member

Progress Photos

Here are some photos. I might take some more straight forward ones today but took this one last night. I can see a pretty significant difference in just the 2 weeks I have been in the gym. I am down about 8-10 lbs. I also posted a face photo so you can know what I look like. Any comments are appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG]