1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling for Weak Knees

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by autumngirl, Jan 2, 2015.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Dear All

As a kid, I had a passion for cycling and rode my bike here and there whenever I could until adolescence. It wasn't until college days that my passion was back, I started to use a stationary bike. Sadly I developed a knee injure from cycling that took around three years of knee stability and physiotherapy sessions until full recovery.

It is almost seven years since my recovery from knee injure, I started to exercise using various cardiovascular machines elliptical, treadmill, stepper and weight training exercises for legs without any trouble with my knees. I decided to go back to "one-forbidden machine" stationary bikes, there were few with different seat/paddle position, my selection was for regular bike: high seat, low paddle position, to decrease potential pressure from flexing knees. I start to cycle at very low speed for 20 minutes for two weeks. Suddenly, my knees injury manifested again in a mild-to-moderate form (see my journal: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showpost.php?p=914154&postcount=221).

I have taken measure since my knee injury manifested again:
    1) I used high dosage of glucosamine sulphate (500 grams before exercise, 500 grams after exercise, 1000 gram before bed).
    2) I used MSM (1000 grams in morning, 1000 grams before bed)
    3) I used fish oil (1000 grams before bed) and flaxseed (1000 grams in morning).
    4) I stopped all my moderate intensity exercise and focus on low intensity exercise, I no longer use the stationary bike.
    5) I started knee stability exercises for few weeks until it disappeared as of 31/12/2014.

I know I can take the "easy rode" and avoid stationary bike/cycling all together or I hope I can get a solid advise from someone in similar position on how to cycle safely when you have weak knees.

2. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

So do you think anyone with weak knees is not suppose to be cycling (stationary or non)? (the assumption whatever injury was there, was healed based on the consultant's opinions, no recommendations were made in relation to avoid any exercise)?