1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

[Cyclical thread] Rate my diet!! :D

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Kratos, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

Hey all, I used to post in this forum about a year ago, when I first wanted to seriously shred some fat. Did I manage to do that? Nope (never actually started :P). Do I want to try again, and succeed, now? You bet!

I registered again as I wanted a new nick =)

Anyways, I would like you people to rate my diet, criticize it and give me suggestions. The following is my plan:

[​IMG]

[One thing you should note: Minestrone = veggie soup (a mixture of many varied vegetables that I boil, drain, and then machine to liquid), Findus = an italian food producer.]

First of all, let me give you my stats:
    Height: 1.96m / around 6.4ft
    Weight: 99 kg / 224 lbs
    BF: My l33t weight scale says 25.0%

I aim on doing a low intensity cardio, 65%-75% max heart rate, for maximum fat burning.

I aim on continuing the lipolysis for several hours after cardio by not intaking any carbs so as to keep the blood sugar level steady, and by intaking chicken breasts with protein along with healthy fats.

I cannot weight train this month as all the gyms are closed. So one fear that I have is that I am intaking too much protein, which can be converted to fat if unused (correct me if I'm wrong). I however cannot decrease it without increasing the carbos and fats. Do you think that it's ok as it is?
    --

EDIT: Here's my updated diet, version 2
    [​IMG]

EDIT2: Updated diet, version 3
    [​IMG]

EDIT3: Updated diet, version 4
    [​IMG]

#1 Kratos, Aug 9, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  2. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Where are the fibrous vegetables?

3. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

Wow. thats some diet. chicken chicken and more chicken.
    try for some variety. i couldnt and wouldnt expect that anyone could eat that for more than a couple days.

4. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

Here's the list of the vegetables that make up the soup:

Beans, tomato 10%, carots, peas, celery, zucchini, beet/chard 5%, uhm "little beans" (can't think of the right word), pumkin, cabbage, and some other veggies..

Are some of these fibrous vegetables?

5. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

I know but it's a very good / clean source of protein with almost no fat :( I don't know of any food which can compete with it.. Believe it or not, for a full week and a half I dieted eating only chicken breast (I put some herbs over it for aroma, and it actually tasted not that bad when still hot, I would also pour alot of lemon juice on it when I thought that it needed some more spice)

6. michael2938

michael2938 Well-Known Member

I believe it. I also believe it only lasted a week and a half.

If you eat that much chicken that often every day, I don't see how that is a diet you can stick to long term. I personally would have a hard time with that. I eat chicken at least once or twice a day, but it's usually never prepared the same way two days in a row.

Mike

7. arkhan

arkhan Well-Known Member

the ratio of your diet is % 28 F / %17 C / %55 P

are you sure you must go that high on proteins and that low on carbs?

your RMR is around 2350 from your stats (this doesnt include the activity cost) yet your intake is lower than your RMR, you have 550 deficit from RMR and if we guess your daily activity cost as 1000 cals and add that the 45 min cardio as 300 cals then your daily calorie deficit sums to something like 550+1000+300= 1850. thats 350 cals more than max of 1500. and you will lose lots of muscle with the fat, Im not sure those excess protein will save them, because when your body is in a big deficit it will try to break down protein and eventually muscle to use as energy.

with this 1850 cals deficit daily, you should be losing 3.7 lbs per week. are you? that also makes 14.8 lbs per month(including muscle maybe more than fat). why need such an assault on your body in such a limited time? you are not that overweight with that height.

besides your diet is not really healthy, you should include vegs ands fruits as others have mentioned. you are not getting lots of minerals. and the proetin is too high for a person who is not lifting, and when you start lifting the carbs will be too low for a person who is lifting.

excess protein is also turned into fat as you have said.

8. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

I can replace the 90g chicken breast feedings with canned tuna (I drain out all of the oil), however it has some fat (1 canned tuna with oil drained out = 15 fat) (while the chicken breasts have some fat because of the efa that I supplement), so I'm not sure if tuna is good for my diet..

If you guys say that it is then I'll gladly replace some chicken with tuna, adding some variety to the diet :D

9. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

who cares if the tuna has a little fat in it?
    as long as you get a good source of protien in each meal, go for it.

salmon is another great protien source
    so is pork tenderloin - almost no fat in that.
    and when you're home - cook up some egg whites.

Breakfast: 7 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup raszberries.
    does the 1 whole egg have fat? SURE! but who cares?
    you need a well rounded meal.

fat isnt what makes america fat. breads and simple refined carbs do

also, throw some sweet potatoes in some of those meals
    and some brocoli.
    i have broccoli with every meal. i dont even cook it anymore.
    that's just how i roll though...

and you dont need THAT much EFA.
    i'd go with 1 tbsp a day, and for the rest, exchange it with a good fat source that you ENJOY.
    something you'd look forward to eating, like Natural Peanut butter, peanuts, cashews, almonds, whatever.

10. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

also - who cares if the weight room is closed?
    do you have anything heavy around your house?
    find something heavy, and LIFT IT.

do some pushups
    do some slow crunches
    do some pullups if you can
    hold two milk jugs at your sides and do lateral raises with them.
    also do forward raises with them.

stand on the edge of a step while holding something heavy and lift yourself up on your tippy toes (Calf Raises)

you can also do lunges with the milk jugs, or whatever you find that's heavy.

reverse lateral raises, tricep kickbacks, hammer curls... you can do ALL this with just any heavy thing you can find around the house.

you can and you WILL.

11. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

I decreased the protein, upped carbohydrate & fat:

[​IMG]

Pane integrale = Fibrous "integral" bread slice.

Thanks for your comments, hope to see some more as this diet still needs some tweaking =)

12. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Just out of curiosity why do you have that high carb meal for your last? I would switch that meal with a high protein/fat meal.(10:00AM meal and 11:00PM meal)

13. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

man oh man...
    a) doordude is right.

b) tomato sauce? pasta? two meals in a row AT THE END OF THE DAY?
    and why do you need two apples before you go to sleep?
    do you need the sugar while you're sleeping? that doesnt make sense.
    bad bad bad bad.

READ THESE POINTS, AND REDO YOUR DIET.
    -------------------------------------------
    + replace all pasta meals with sweet potatoes or oatmeal. consume these meals ONLY before and after excersize. carbs = energy. you dont need to fuel your body with excess energy when you're sitting on your ass or sleeping. (i.e. like when you are currently eating all your carbs)

+ never combine carbs and fats in one meal (unless the carbs come from broccoli or some other fiberous veggie)

+ your last meal of the day should be a slow-digesting one.
    what i eat is red salmon + 2 cups of broccoli + 1/4 cup almonds
    it's a meal full of fiber, protein, and good fat

actually... why dont you try reading some of the "sticky" posts at the top of the forum?
    if you would have read one of them, you wouldnt have come up that diet plan.

14. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

Updated diet, version 3:

[​IMG]

Indeed, I switched the veggie soup + 2 apples with a protein/fat meal for the last slot.

Indeed.

I removed the pasta, tomato sauce & fibrous bread, and in its place put boiled potatoes (not mashed, thats an error). What do you think about it? The potatoes are only boiled, nothing else is added except some salt and a bit of herbs for aroma.

I always make sure that they are not combined.

My last meal is protein + fat.. I could add broccoli... I could... broccoli... ergh

As always, feel free to criticize the diet! As I still need to tweak it =D

15. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

this is making me really tired....

stick to sweet potatoes or yams instead of boiled potatoes
    regular white potatoes are high GI and should only be used semi-PWO

WHY DO YOU NEED THE SUGAR FROM 2 APPLES THAT LATE AT NIGHT????
    PUT IT IN THE BEGINNNING OF THE DAY or switch it with a more fiberous fruit like raszberries or blackberries.

Take one of the EFA doses and move it to the last meal of the day.

Find a FAT SOURCE THAT YOU ENJOY EATING!!!!!!!!!!!!
    peanut butter. everyone likes peanut butter.
    almonds, peanuts, cheese, whatever.
    YOU WILL NOT STICK TO THIS DIET FOR MORE THAN A WEEK the way it is.
    shit, i bet you wont last a week.

MORE VEGGIES.
    green beans, califlower, broccoli, whatever.

replace some of those chicken breasts with egg whites.
    hard boil some eggs and have that for a meal if you want.

16. badgolfer

your diet and what you have here is borderline crash diet is not something you dould eat for an extended period. i copied and pasted a list of food from gravityhomers sticky here. read it or one of the other excellent stickies about eating. these are great foods and there are many others you could eat to loose weight while enjoying what you eat. if you tell me that you enjoy those foods every day all day i simply wont believe you.

Protein
    lean chicken breasts
    tuna
    whey protein
    turkey lunch meat
    low fat ground turkey
    fat free hotdogs
    meatloss sausage patties by Morningstar
    sushi
    Lean Pockets Ultra
    eggs
    eggbeaters (got sick of these fast though)
    low fat beef jerky (although lots of salt, beware)
    Protein bar, Odyssey, 30 g of protein, only 7 g of sugar
    edamame beans
    black beans
    salmon
    shrimp

Carbs
    whole wheat bread
    whole wheat pasta or reduced carb pasta (basically the same thing)
    whole wheat bagel
    Cinna-raisen crunch cereal by Kashi (relatively low sugar)
    Any vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cucumber etc.
    edamame beans
    Lean Pockets Ultra
    bananas

Fat
    peanuts
    peanut butter
    olive oil
    fish: salmon, swordfish, other white fish

17. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

Right, I tried to make the diet more diverse, and also balanced the ratios - here's versione 4:

[​IMG]

I've never tried sweet potatoes before so I basically assumed that white potatoes = sweet potatoes :P anyways it doesn't matter, i've removed the potatoes.

I fought that putting it at 8pm was not that bad, but anyways I removed one apple, and put the remaining apple on the 4 pm slot.

I can't eat the apple before cardio or right after / a couple of hours after cardio as that will make the fat burning process shorten / less effective.

Ok.

I don't like peanut butter that much heh :P I found my fat source that I enjoy, it's canned tuna =D and also the egg white cheese cream efa combo =D

Now I have 2 consecutive meals of veggie soups, the total being of 600 g! 600 g of veggies :d_eek: The veggies are totally varied, there are like 200 different veggies in the soups :P

Yep, also added cheese cream (relatively light) and efa to add some more calories.

I think that the diet is now varied.. I will of course get tired from it, but keep in mind that I will have a cheat day so as to keep the metabolism and appetite going! =D

Keep the comments coming!

18. badgolfer

wouldnt it be much easier to eat a mediterranean style diet since you live in Italy?

19. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member

Easier yes, but as effective? I don't know.

I want to add some tomato sauce to the wholemeal pasta as I found that I can't eat it without almost barfing. The catch is that first of all the tomato sauce is processed (it's canned, bought from the supermarket); the tomatoes are machined to pulp and then some fancy ingredients are added. I don't think that it's much of a problem, as I'll add relatively low amounts (100g), however I'd still like to know what you think. I'll be cooking the sauce, but without adding any oil.

20. ChipPan

ChipPan Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents, but i believe it is unneccessary to have EIGHT meals in one day. 5-6 meals every 3 hours should be sufficient - reasons because of convenience, and also the fact that the food will take a certain amount of time to digest in your body and unless you are a pro bodybuilder training for a comp, it is highly impractical.

In version 4 of your diet, I noticed that you have 50, 40 and 30g of Protein with your first 3 meals and then nothing from 2pm to 10pm in the way of substantial protein. A much better idea is to make sure you are spreading out your protein in your meals, so for eg if you should be ingesting 180g per day, make it for 30g for each meal, etc. 53g for one meal is perhaps too much, esp when you are going to have a tin of tuna 2 hrs later.

For your carbs, I would put them in earlier in the day, when you most need them for energy. Try low-GI ones like oatmeal, or even all-bran with some whey.

Have you tried some roasted nuts for EFA's?

But overall, your diet is a lot better than when I started out and protein is high. It's all about minor adjustments until you get it as good as you can make it.