1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting diet for women

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by turtle, Mar 1, 2004.

1. turtle

turtle Well-Known Member

My wife wants to start cutting (toning) and asked for my help. I basically understand how to do it based on male dietary needs, but have no idea how that relates to females.

Can anyone give any advice on where to start? We have the fitness end down, just not the nutrition.

Thanks in advance

2. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

I follow pretty much the same 40/40/20 diet that most men do on here. She just has to remember to adjust her portion sizes. If she is for example 150 lbs, she will require 1500 calories a day to cut, and if she is 200, she will require 2000 etc. I lost quite a bit at first but later had to reduce my portion sizes cause I wasn't loosing anymore...I was maintaining.

Good luck to both of you! :tucool:

Danielle

3. turtle

turtle Well-Known Member

THANKS!

4. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

This has been discussed a few times in this very forum. It's no different for women than it is for men. Ratios are the same, the theories are the same, the only thing that's different is portion size/caloric intake.

5. fitfreak12

fitfreak12 Well-Known Member

calories

you said before that a 150lbs woman to cuts needs 1500 calories...can u go over is that the limit?im 145lbs, im thin, but very undertoned, a lil on the flabby side.. soo that means i can only get 1450 calories a day?i tdont think thats very healthy considering not enuf calories will cause muscle burn instead of fat burn....anyways, just wondering...PS i get about 1800-2200 calories a day.....do u think thats ok? thanks! :cool:

6. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

fitfreak,

I think it's okay. There are guidelines that work for most, but metabolisms and situations vary.

My father, for example, is 6'3" 150 pounds, and he eats massive amounts of food.

As long as your diet is working, and you're seeing progress, kudos to you. :gl:

7. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

When I first started this diet I was 140Lbs with a 1441 calorie intake. I have lost 12 lbs in 31/2 weeks due to this diet and intense exercise. The first week was really tough and I felt hungry most of the time. After that initial bump in the road I feel great. I am not hungry anymore and I don't feel the need to snack.

I was told I should be eating 1441 calories if I wanted to lose wieght and 1680 if I wanted to maintain 140 lbs.

That means your recommended intake would be from 1595-1740 calories a day.

However, you said that you were thin so I am guessing you have a high metabolism so you probably don't need to worry about following a strict diet(lucky) I would just concentrate on toning and less on the eating aspect of it since you are happy with your weight.

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Holy cow! Can you see through him?

:p

9. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

Not enough Calories

I am around 132lbs when I started eating healthy. Ever since i have learned about John's forum, I calculate the amt of calories I eat. Though I am not very particular in getting the exact amount, but I seems to run into a problem of not having sufficient calories. I eat 6 meals a day, with average of 150-300 amount of calories a meal.
    Also, I am doing Yoga and weight training, max. 3 times per week.

For the 1st two weeks, I managed to lost 4.4lbs, but now the weight seems to have stabilised. I can see the loss are mainly from my flabby arms, waist and tummy.

I am still maintaining the exercise session and eating healthy, but I dont know what should I do next. I guess I dont need to lose any more weight (maybe to 125lbs) I am concern now whether will it hurt my health or exercise program if I continue this diet, as I dont want to end up burning my muscles, and not my fats.

Any help will be appreciated.

10. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that I am 5'9" tall and base on Calorie King.com, I need 1235 calories a day. My BMI is 19 (healthy weight)

Thanks. ;)

11. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

isnt that cal/day figure the same as a male? (10x bodyweight) i dont see how its different

12. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm not really the one to ask, because I've never counted a calorie in my life, but I thought I remembered hearing that the 10x body weight was the MINIMUM amount that you want to eat while cutting. I've seen some recommend 12x body weight. I imagine it might make a difference in how far away you are from your goal weight as well.

13. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Body weight

From what I inderstand eating 10x body weight is in fact the minmum you should eat. 11x is ideal for those who are looking to lose weight at a stready pace and 12x your body weight should be eaten if you do not wish to gain OR lose anymore. Eating 12x your bodyweight is supposed to only maintain your weight. When I started dieting I a tallied what 10x my bodyweight would be and I really have to tell you that unless I wanted to eat dry toast, there simply wasn't any way I could have stayed within those limits. I shoot for 11x myself.

14. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

15. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Just finished reading that a person with moderate metabolism should eat 15x body weight in calories to maintain, so anything less than this should be fine. If metabolism is high, you can eat even more than 15x and still lose weight.

16. SLUDGE

SLUDGE Well-Known Member

I understand the weight x multiplier to get a rough view of calories necessary to eat, but if you want a formula to live by, please check [thread=2128]this post out[/thread].