1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm glad it went well. It being your first race in quite some time it's understandable that you wouldn't have your pace figured out yet. That will come with experience and it seems as if you have plenty of it planned in the coming months.

Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend!

2. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

:lol: When I used to walk on a canal trail I was constantly turning around to see if anyone was behind me. So it would take much less than throat clearing to get me to move!

I like The Stick-- there's probably a way you could build one yourself though.:confused: My favorite contraption along those lines, though, is the TheraCane, which I think is more worth the money than The Stick, because you can reach it all over your back and get spots you could never hit without it. I don't think even a tennis ball or small rubber ball works as well, because you have less control over them.

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:nod: The more of an anomaly you are, the more likely you become to earn a prize. :spaz: But you're getting closer all the time. And it won't be long until you'll be placing in all your races.

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

dude, that is a very respectable time for your first race in a while, and great to know that you could actually have gone faster... pacing in short races is tricky. WTG that you are going to sign up straight away for a longer race :tu: yep a 10-15 km beforehand would be ideal.

5. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Races are fun, even though I'm not competitive and I know I won't win. They're usually very festive and the people are friendly. So, I'll keep registering for those that fit my schedule and are nearby. I could use some more tshirts. ;)

That's me - the emerging anomaly. :lol: I guess I have a new goal: to improve my 5K race time. :nod:

I appreciate the feedback. Luckily, running hasn't made me too sore yet. But I'll keep this in mind should I ever need something.

Well, I've registered for both the 8K and the half-marathon. The money's gone, so I might as well run. ;) I'm keeping an eye out for something to run in between.

Today: supersets {squats and hanging leg raise} and {smith calf raise and sldl}. The gym was crowded and I wanted to get out of there. This made for an elevated HR for much of my workout. Not fun, but certainly efficient, I think.

The rest of the day was spent working on my house with my brother-in-law, his son, and my nephew. Lots of destruction! :evil: And a bit of construction, too.

I went to the store afterwards to see how my mom was doing without me and my BIL. She claimed everything was fine and urged me to go home to get some rest. I'm not sure if she was actually concerned about me, or if she just thought I looked too dirty and stinky to be around customers. :lol:

6. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Great job on your race, nice time.

7. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

I love doing supersets with these workouts. About 20 minutes and I drenched, drained and done!!

Great job on the race, btw!!

8. Ecrivain

Thanks! :D

"Love"? You're twisted!

As I said... :evil:

Thanks! That reminds me, I need to pester you about the Philly Distance Run.

Today: 4 miles jogging on fit trail. Kept it pretty relaxed and just enjoyed the morning until about the last 3/4 mile. Maybe I've resigned myself to being slothy. ;)

More working on the house sandwiched between visiting the store to help a bit. This will be the recurring theme this month. Wake > Gym > Store > House > Store > Sleep. Wanna take bets on when I'll snap? :cool:

9. Ecrivain

Today: military press, db bench press, superset {db incline bench press & triceps extension} and 3.1 miles running on treadmill. Getting to the gym early is awesome because it's absolutely empty. Stocking about 50 cases of beer and hauling boxes of vinyl siding afterwards is less than awesome. But being able to do those things with a decent level of efficiency kind of reveals the payoff of working out regularly. Yay functional fitness!

Yesterday I ate four eggs, a pound of beef, a pound of trout, and a stick of butter. :lol: For some reason, reflecting on that day's worth of food just makes me laugh. And this morning I woke up about half a pound lighter. I don't know that I could continue losing weight with that volume of food, but I felt the need for some heavy duty surf'n'turf yesterday. When I get a feeling like that, for something that's not a "treat" or an off-plan food, I tend to try to satisfy it because I think it's my body telling me I need something.

So I had to chuckle to myself a little upon seeing an article from Dr. Eades about the importance of counting calories to lose weight on low carb. He's actually been pounding this point quite a bit on his blog lately, but this one got my attention. One of the things that drew me to very-low-carb eating at first was the promise of not needing to weigh and measure food. But, as Eades points out, this only works for maintenance. Losing fat requires a caloric deficit, even on low carbs.

I think the part of the article that struck me most was this little ray of hope. I'm looking forward to getting to this point:

10. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

:D Have to say i chuckled too at the woman eating a 5000cals per day low carb diet and wondering why she wasn't losing !!! I see you are trying some "intuitive eating" too;)

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to really thank you for posting that link because in the brief skimming I did I saw myself.

I never had a significant amount of weight to lose, just a modest amount, and my first five weeks on doing my own non researched version of a carb cycle I lost seven pounds so I thought I was well on my way. Since then I've put back some and in part it's due to my starting to snack on guess what? Cheese and nuts, the two things that Eades specifically mentions.

Later today, as time permits I going to spend some time familiarizing myself with his site with the aim of getting some information and motivation.

Thanks again!

You certainly did some good eating yesterday, but you also needed the calories as you had a very physcial day between the exercising, work, and construction.

12. Ecrivain

It's so much nicer to call it "intuitive" as opposed to "gluttonous," isn't it? :lol:

I'm glad you found the article useful. Eades has a ton of good information in his posts. But you have to read him with a cautious eye. I mean, he is trying to make money from his ideas on nutrition, so it's not exactly unbiased.

Cheese gets me every time. I could eat a pound of it without thinking. :drool:

My caloric needs are probably a little higher right now, true. Hopefully this will yield some fat loss and functional muscle. I have been wearing a pair of shorts that hadn't fit in a long time. So that's a good sign, I think.

Today: 4 miles running on fit-trail. Felt good.

It was a long day of working on the house. I thought I was going to get some rest tonight, but I've been asked to pick up my niece from softball. Her game ends at 9. That means I just have enough time to shower the drywall dust off of me and get her. No rest for the wicked!

13. henderjr

henderjr Well-Known Member

Try living in the dairy state. :rolleyes:

This is dairy month so all over the place there are free dairy snacks or events. The best are dairy breakfasts. Usually at rural farms miles from anywhere. They take one of the barns and throw a ton of tables along with grills and make pancakes, eggs, sausage, cheese, milk, and ice cream. Usually like $5 for all you can eat. A lot of times they'll have radio stations out there. And they have farm tours along with petting zoos. My daughter loves them but they are terrible for the waist line. I still just might have to take her to one tomorrow. We did one two Saturday's ago.

14. Ecrivain

Oh my gawd, that sounds like an absolute foodgasm. :drool: The rest sounds fun, too, but I don't think I'd be able to move after gorging on all of that grub. :eat: I'd be a blimp.

Today: deadlift, lat pulldown, superset {bb bo row & shrug}. I increased the weight but dropped reps for deads. It seemed like the right thing to do, knowing the work I had to do the rest of the day. Call it "intuitive lifting" I guess. At any rate, my back didn't complain while I was hanging sheetrock and installing siding. Also: supersets are the busy lifter's best friend. :tucool: The bonus of lifting in the morning when it's empty is that I can do supersets without feeling guilty about taking up too much of the limited freeweight area.

15. Ecrivain

Morning weigh-in: 226.4

For the past few weeks, my Friday weight has been lower than Saturday's. I'm not exactly sure why. For now it's just an interesting pattern that grabbed my attention.

The most important pattern is the continued downward trend. Today I'm wearing the jeans I bought before I left for Costa Rica. There's still some muffin-topage, but I'm covering that with an untucked t-shirt. The nice thing is that they button while still allowing me to breathe. I couldn't even do that a few months ago.

These jeans are the gold standard. When I tried them on, it was the first time in my adult life that a woman told me I had "a cute lil butt." Returning to that physique is the goal. :nod:

Today: 6.0 miles jogging on fit trail. Perfect. The weather was ideal, cool and partly cloudy. I set a realistic, comfortable pace, then was able to exceed it in the last couple of miles. The mark of a good training run - I felt like I could do it again.

Of course, that's the opposite of how I want to feel at the end of a race. I found this quote today that expresses how I felt about last weekend's 5K:

If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a board and knock me down, because that means I didn’t run hard enough.
    ~ Steve Jones

But, as others have said, racing requires unique skills on top of those just required to run. Being able to use the fastest pace possible for the distance required is something that will come with experience. Hopefully.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on the training run. Is this your first six miler?

Also, :tucool: for getting into your gold standard pants again. :claphigh:

17. Ecrivain

Seltzer: Yep, this is my first time hitting 6 miles since restarting. For next week, I've mapped out a course through town to try instead of running the fitness trail again and again. I'm not sure I could mentally handle more than 3 laps on it.

Today: Yoga. I've been doing a little bit of yoga from some DVDs. Sunday used to be a rest day, but since I'm doing GH's 99 day challenge, I need something active but not too terribly strenuous to do. Stretching and flexibility work fits the bill nicely.

I thought I'd share some of the nutrition sites I keep in my feed reader, for those that are looking for more information. These are my regular sources:

Diet Blog - general health and fitness news
    Fear and Loathing in the Kitchen - diary of "a low carb, high fat, gluten and (formerly) dairy free foodie with a passion for dietary lore, history, theory, traditions and study"
    Health and Nutrition by Michael Eades - the man behind Protein Power
    Hyperlipid - reviews studies on high fat diets in medical journals
    The Migraineur - general health and low carb nutrition
    Weight of the Evidence - controlled-carb nutrition, emphasis on medical studies
    Wifezilla's Way - real life low carb living

18. Ecrivain

Today: superset {squats & hanging leg raise} & superset {smith calf raise and sldl}. I got to the gym late because I woke up late, so it was a little busy. A guy was supersetting skull crushers and curls (using the squat rack), and when I asked him if I could squat he was super nice about it. See, it doesn't hurt to ask, and there are considerate people in gyms if you give them a chance. :nod:

I didn't sleep very well last night, for some reason. Weird dreams. I woke up too early to start the day, but too late to go back to sleep for any worthwhile amount of time, so I set my alarm for later. :doh:

Despite the rocky start to the day, it turned out well. We were very productive at the house. Three exterior walls are almost completely covered in new siding. We got several positive comments from passers-by, including my mailman. :lol:

19. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Mostly, if we ask in a pleasant manner, we receive a pleasant response ;)

You seem to be progressing pretty speedily at the moment. Of course motivation is always very high at the beginning and it pays to tap into this ;)

my canal running route is 3.5 km and normally i can manage 3 or at the most 4 rounds before I get really bored, so I have also mapped out a bunch of routes of different lengths from my apartment.

20. Ecrivain

Exactly! We're "painting with broad strokes" right now, since siding and drywall cover large areas and help make dramatic improvements quickly. I'm hoping that will provide some momentum and enthusiasm to carry us through the tasks that will take time and greater attention to detail. I've only got a few more weeks before either my brother-in-law or I (or both of us) will have to start spending more time at the store again, so I'm trying to make the most of it without burning out.

Today: 4.5 miles jogging on fit-trail. Although I woke up early, I couldn't get moving quickly, so I had some sun beating down by the time I got to the trail. It wasn't too bad, but I kept a relaxed pace. As much as I'd like to be faster, I keep reminding myself that for now it's really just important to get the miles in.