1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I know when I posted about no DOMS, it was really more of a "why before but not now?" question.

DOMS are a pain, so I don't miss them, that's for sure.

2. Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy Well-Known Member

Oh, but they're such a good pain!

Great job Ecrivain! :D You're definitely the poster-boy for a successful transformation!

3. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

So I'm on a 52-day streak for cardio (thanks to the May and June challenges), and I've been pretty solid about it even beyond that. Most of it's been in the morning, even. Because of that, I've been getting up earlier. And yet, I'm still late for work most mornings. This has to stop. It's terribly unprofessional and runs counter with my goals for self-improvement. It's not that I need to get up earlier. I just need to get my butt in gear. Less procrastinating, more moving! :mad:

It's a long-standing problem. Even in highschool (once I started driving myself), I was late for my first class every day. Eventually my teacher stopped giving me detention because he was tired of staying after with me.

I have the same problem when it comes time to lift weights. I always mean to do it when I get home from work, but then I find other little things to do and eventually it's 9 or 10PM before I get around to it. My lifts suffer because I'm tired and would rather be getting ready for bed. And then, of course, I have problems sleeping because I'm pumped from working out. :bang:

Despite everything I've done to make myself a better person, there's still a slacker deep inside. Because of this, I'm not as productive as I could be, I'm not able to make the most of my time at my job or in the gym. Heck, I'm not even enjoying as much "free time" as I could be, since I'm spreading it out over little 5 and 10 minute increments of slackage. I'm not getting the rest and recovery time that I know my body needs. It affects everything.

I've proven to myself that I can make positive changes in my life. I need to come up with a goal and a plan to tackle this.

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmmm...could it be that you just didn't plan the little gaps in the system into your routine? Time has a way of making itself hard to account for.

Slackers don't accumulate 52-straight day cardio streaks. :nope: No evil thing in your character is lingering. You've just identified a problem. Now fix it. :D

/I was late for work for the first 13 weeks of working out...then started bringing clothes to change at the gym.
    //I've been super-early ever since.

5. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Ughh! I know exactly where you're coming from. Keep me posted if you find anything that helps you fix this. I definitely need it as well.

Somehow, I know you'll figure it out. You've proven in a big way that you have what it takes to accomplish goals.

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Ecrivain, I totally get it. I'm an "ultimate slacker" as well. As much as I can achieve things like fitness and weight loss, it doesn't me I'm not an inner lazy bastard. Because I very much am.

For example, right now, I should be getting a suit on and getting ready to go to work.

But I'm not.

7. Ecrivain

I was on time today, but only because I made myself get up 30 minutes earlier. That's not the way I want to do it. :nono: I don't need more time in the morning, I need to make better use of my time in the morning (and throughout the day). Think I could get John to ban me at certain hours, so I don't have that temptation to "just check the forums one more time"? :p Not that it'd really help. I'd just find something else to distract me. I have some sort of mental block when it comes to scheduling my time. The thought of having every minute planned and accounted for makes me feel like I'm suffocating. So, I'm still working on it. I'll find a good compromise somehow.

M@, bellezza, and Silver: Thanks for the encouragement and compassion. At least I'm not alone in my slackage.

I did find an interesting idea in Dan John's ebook From the Ground Up (page 37-38):
    I think I may try to adapt this concept into some sort of challenge for next month.

8. Ecrivain

I found a temporary motivation method: I wouldn't allow myself to post until after I'd finished my workout. I didn't procrastinate nearly as much tonight. :flex:

Plenty of good things going on right now. The pig roast from this weekend was a fantastic success. My roommate and I got up at 5AM to start the fire in the pit. Afterwards, by-gawd, I still did my morning cardio. Soon afterwards, however, the drinking, eating, and debauchery commenced. It was my big cheat of the Summer. :eat: Even without keeping track, I don't feel like I really gorged. That's the kind of lifestyle change I'm looking for. I don't need a trough of food to feel satisfied. A "cheat" day now is probably quite a bit less food than a "normal" day before (if you can imagine that). After a couple of days of rehydration, the scale still shows loss. I'll break 240 this week.

I got quite a few compliments at the party, too. No shame: it's nice to hear the amazement and the congratulations. Who doesn't appreciate a little ego-stroking? :madpimp:

In other news, I'm itching to get a bike. The urge seems to be getting stronger every week. But, as always seems to be the case, I'm conflicted. On one hand, I think I should just get an El-Cheapo disposable bike from a big-box store. I haven't ridden a real bike in years and years, so I should just get something inexpensive until I'm sure I'll get good use out of it and decide what I really want. On the other hand, I'd like to get something safe, sturdy, and fun to ride. Why buy a cheap bike that will fall apart in a few months? But then, why buy a thousand-dollar bike if I'm not sure I'll ride it that much? I've been eyeing these three bikes as a sort of middle-ground: Gary Fisher Tiburon S, Trek 7100, and Trek 7000. Clearly, I'm no expert on bicycles. But I've read a few reviews and they seems like decent beginner's bikes. I'm also keeping an eye on Craigslist to see if a good deal turns up. But I'm not sure how much longer I can fight this urge.

9. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

that's a fantastic idea! i may try that myself!

10. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

I've been away for about a week so i'm just checking in to say keep up the great work!!! If yu are about to break 240 I better get moving. You are right on my arse!!!:lol:

-bmac

11. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

re the bikes, I definitely wouldn't advise anything cheaper than those, but I highly advocate test rides to see if those are even going to be okay - the most important thing is how smoothly they shift - if it doesn't shift smoothly, forget it

12. Ecrivain

Now I just need to figure something out for the nights that I don't workout. :rolleyes: I'm thinking of setting my computer up to block JSF.com after 10pm or something. I'm not sure I can rely on self-control, so I may need something to enforce this curfew. :o

Thanks! It's on, buddy. I'm right on the brink. 240 better pack its bags, cause I'm kickin' it to the curb and it ain't never comin' back.

I appreciate the advice. I think I'll go around to a few shops this weekend and try out a few different styles and models. Even back when I had a bike, it was a cheap one. I'm pretty clueless about "real" bikes. But there are lots of good paths where I live now, and I'm so close to work, I really like the idea of ditching the car for short trips. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

13. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

i LOVE your attitude!

take this 240!! :moon:

14. Ecrivain

Fish Wall Eyes A Shun

I've been doing bent-over barbell rows for quite a few months. But I've never felt like I was doing them right. They always felt a little off. I've studied the little dude on EXRX for far too long. I've tried decreasing and increasing the weight. I've tried looking down and looking straight ahead. I've varied my stance and grip. It just never clicked. It was frustrating, but I'm stubborn, so I kept at it.

Today before my workout, I stood with my back to the mirror, looked over my shoulder, and tried to flex my back. Aha! That area that's moving? There are muscles there! Not very big muscles, mind you, but that's not the point. The important thing was that it finally hit me. That flex, when I could really see the muscle movement, was what the row should feel like.

Those of you that have been at this weight-training thing for more than two minutes are saying "duh!" right about now. I know. I can be dense sometimes.

So when I got to bent-over rows tonight, I closed my eyes and concentrated on really working those particular muscles. And wouldn't you know? I could finally feel it. I love when that happens.

I still have so much to learn.

15. Ecrivain

I went bike shopping today. I guess it's the season for it; the stores were busy and were mostly out of the models I was looking for. I did get to ride the Trek 7000, which was nice. I really didn't know what I should be looking for. I hadn't rode a bike in too many years to count. I'm lucky I didn't fall and make a fool of myself. It was so fun once I got going! I was grinning the entire time. So I don't know if I actually liked that bike, or I was just enjoying riding any bike. I also rode a Giant Cypress DX, which was a smooth ride (better shocks), but also a little more than I was looking to spend.

Either way, I'm sold on getting a bike. I just have to decide which one. I'm going to check with the Trek store on Monday to see if they'll be getting the 7100 and/or the Gary Fisher Tiburon back in stock. If not, I'm not sure what I'll end up with. Decisions, decisions... :confused:

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Just glancing at the specs (although specs don't necessarily = comfort), I'd go with them in this order:

Giant
    Tiburon

Price is, of course, a factor. How much more is the Giant? Friend of mine just bought the Rocky Mountain Traihead and loves it. Probably more than you wanted to spend as well (retails for about $1100 CAD).

Good luck with the purchase, either way!

17. Ecrivain

You're good! That's the list in order of decreasing cost. :lol: The Giant is $380. The 7100, on sale this month, would be under 300. This is me being cheap. :doh: If the Trek store won't get the 7100 or Tiburon in anytime soon, right now I think I'd go with the Giant. It's not really that much more (sometimes I really hate being cheap... err... frugal), and the extra comfort means I'll likely get more use out of it.

The guy at the Giant store asked me about some of the other bikes I was considering. I told him, and he nodded and said, "You know, nobody really makes a bad bike." I take that to mean that as long as I'm not buying it at Wal-Mart, I'll end up with something that's fine.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod:

Once you get into well made frames (I'd specify Chromium-Molybdenum here but some bikes have well-welded Chro-Moly frames and are excellent.) everything else becomes incidental. Frame material usually separates beginner : midrange bikes. The component group is what normally separates midrange : highend : competition bikes.

I highly recommend being frugal with your first bike purchase. If you find a model you really like, consider getting the same model used off of eBay or Craigslist. It'll get you into the groove and give you a much better idea of what you want or don't want out of a bike.

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I agree with being frugal, particularly if you don't know what you want at this stage and if you're unsure about how much you'll use it.

At the same time - I would hesitate to be TOO frugal - if you buy pure crap, you will just flat out not use it as you won't enjoy the experience.

20. Ecrivain

Thanks for the input, guys. That's the balance I'm looking for. I just want something that's good for a beginner, won't fall apart on the road, isn't a big financial commitment, and still makes me want to ride. Believe me, I've been eyeing Criagslist and local Ebay listings like a hawk. But nothing's turned up yet, and I'm getting impatient. :rolleyes:

I walked down to Hoover Dam this morning. Since I'd never been that way before, I moved at a leisurely, comfortable pace. It was a good walk, took me 2hr 47m to get there, cross the dam, and get back. There were a few stops and slow-downs where I forgot to pause my stopwatch. I also forgot to take water and/or money to buy water - stupid stupid stupid. But that part of town has lots of really nice paved paths. I kept getting passed by groups of cyclists. That just made me want a bike even more. [Side note: cute college girls in bicycle shorts == hot; pudgy middle-age dudes in spandex == yarf. I will not wear spandex.] And the dam itself has tons of steps. I imagine it'd be a great cardio session to bike down, do a few set of steps, and bike back.

I like that I'm exploring more of the area I live in. It's a nice extra benefit to exercising outdoors. Even when I'm driving around, I'm usually keeping an eye out for sidewalks and paths, looking for new ground to cover. It's quite a change from before, where I knew every bar within a certain radius.

Speaking of which, my roommate keeps mentioning how we don't hang out anymore. We used to spend a couple of nights a week sitting at a bar with beer and wings. He said we should try to hit one of our usual spots soon. I feel bad, because I do kind of avoid him and some of my other friends these days. It's just easier to stay on track when I don't have to deal with those influences. And I was going to try to have no "unclean" cheat meals this month. But the idea of a couple of beers, a few wings, hours of BSing and flirting with waitresses is kind of appealing too. :bang: Sometimes I think about packing up and moving away to someplace new, where nobody knows the "old" me, where I can live a completely clean life for awhile. But, dear gawd, that sounds hideously boring. And avoiding the world is no way to live life. Maybe someday I'll get to the point when my body is fit and I have enough muscle and confidence in my health that the idea of one evening of beer and wings won't send me into a panic.

On a more positive note: I love my MP3 player. It was an excellent purchase. I'd go nuts on long walks without it. And it's sure as heck better than carrying a CD player around. So, hurrah for the Creative MuVo TX FM.

[Can you tell I've been reading the JoC? Man, this post is all over the place.]