1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

There used to be an actual "Wellness Committee" at my company. They held lunch-time seminars on health, got corporate discounts at some local gyms, and tried to encourage competitions like what you described. But it just never took off and eventually went away. I think it was that HR vibe. It just felt a little too corporate. It's a great idea, though. And I'm sure it's good for companies to promote fitness, as opposed to having employees take sick leave and having to subsidize medical expenses.

2. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Did they provide any kind of prizes? Money moves people...

3. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

at my work, there's always tons of junk food lining the halls on the cabinets. we even have a donut day every 3rd thursday every month. i have contemplated starting a "fruit day" every 2nd thursday, lol.

4. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

We have a breakfast day every Friday where participants bring breakfast food for the others. The kind of food varies but it's usually junk. I do participate but I don't eat the donut :nono:. It used to be much more enjoyable day when I was not in control of my diet (I mean, when I was fat :o).

5. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Not fat - deconditioned ;)

6. Ecrivain

In moments, I'll be heading South for a cookout/party in Kentucky. I got my cardio in and I'm eating my last clean meal for 24 hours. I feel like I've had a white-knuckle-grip on my fitness routine for the past week, so it's time to pry my fingers off, loosen up, and enjoy a day of debauchery. :evil: Don't worry, I've packed a baggie of oats and my walking shoes so I can get right back to it on Sunday morning. (That may be overly ambitious and optimistic. We'll see).

Have a fantastic weekend!

7. Ecrivain

Shew, I survived! The cookout was a blast, just what I needed. The host, who hadn't seen me in person in about a year and a half, didn't even recognize me. I love that. ;) Also, one of the friends I stayed with mentioned that I don't snore nearly as bad as I used to. She said it was hardly audible anymore. So that's a nice bonus to all of these changes. (One that's much appreciated by others, too, I'm sure. I used to rattle the windows, especially after a night of drinking).

With that cheat day out of my system, I'm back on course for another two weeks, until my annual Pig Roast. I'm very, very excited about this one. And, I must admit, part of the reason is because I know there will be people attending that haven't seen me since I've lost weight. It's going to be fun to see their reactions. :cool:

The scale was good to me again today. I know that it's probably because of dehydration after my cheat day, but I hit 250.0 exactly this morning. I finally register on the FitDay weight chart! Now I'm going to make it an honest achievement by sticking to my plan (and drinking lots of water).

Something else occurred to me this morning. Last time I was out with friends and coworkers, one of the guys was a little rude to me. I asked him to scoot in a little bit, so I could get by and sit next to him at a big table full of people. He made a quiet comment that he didn't think I could fit, even though there was clearly plenty of room. It struck me as odd, because we've always gotten along, even though we're not close. I actually wanted to talk to him that night, because he's gone through an amazing transformation himself, and I thought I might learn some things from him. Anyways, I let it slide. But, thinking about it again today, I remembered that he was sitting across from a very attractive woman, someone new to our group of friends. He was making a play. And it's possible, just possible, that he considered me a threat. I would consider that quite a compliment.

I could be very wrong, of course. This could simply be my ego getting too big again, after such a great weekend. :evil: Either way, I feel pretty good.

8. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

:claphigh: :claphigh:

Next on the chopping block = 240 lbs.!! :guitar:

-bmac

9. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Hey Pardner, glad to hear about your great weekend! What a rush to go places and see peoples responses to your great progress! Keep it up!

10. Ecrivain

That may come quicker than anticipated. I didn't rebound, or even level out, after rehydrating and getting back on track after my cheat day. Instead, I've been dropping more weight. I'm down to 245.8 pounds as of this morning. No worries yet. I'll see how it goes next week, and if I'm still dropping that quickly, I'll re-evaluate.

This week has been a bit crazy anyways. I'm transitioning to my new job, but that means I'm still doing my old job until they hire a replacement. That's TWO - TWO - TWO jobs for the price of ONE! Twice the work, half the sleep. I'm exhausted. I woke up on time this morning, but then missed cardio because I sat and zoned out for like half an hour. (I'll make it up tonight, thank goodness this month is "any time" cardio). I've been staying hopped up on caffeine to keep me going through all of my projects during the day, then of course I can't sleep when I should at night. I just need to make it through a day and a half, then I can rest & recover over the weekend. :sleep: My only plans are to sleep, workout, and maybe clean the house a little to prepare for next weekend's pig-roast.

Between the new job and not spending hundreds of dollars per month on booze, I decided that I could treat myself to some fun, mildly-fitness-related purchases. I bought some new workout clothes, but that was more out of necessity. New shoes, non-cotton shirts and socks are muuuuuuch nicer, thanks for the suggestions everyone! I also just ordered a 1GB Creative MuVo TX FM. Essential? No. But I'm going to make myself "earn" it by completing this month's cardio challenge with a solid 30/30. :tu:

11. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

congrets on the mp3 player.

I bought a cheapo noname mp3 player when I just started my cut. Its one of the best investments I've ever made considering the huge return on it for such a low price... Nowdays if I got time I walk to whereever I need to go while listening to my music. as a matter of fact I would much rather Walk 15mins with music then drive
    for 5mins.

Shahar.

12. Ecrivain

My roommate mentioned to me that Puritan's Pride is having a "Buy 1 Get 2 Free" sale, and all shipping is only $3.95. I don't know that I actually need any vitamins or supplements right now, but it seems like a good deal, so I'm tempted to try some new things. I've been digging through their catalogue. I keep going back and forth: on one hand, I should just save my money (even if it is a good sale) and keep doing what works, but on the other hand, I really kind of like the idea of experimenting on my body. It satisfies the "Mad Scientist" in me in a relatively safe and legal way. And it keeps me from getting insanely bored with my routine. There's not a lot of variety in my life right now. So looking through pages and pages of pills and powders has me a bit wide-eyed. :confused:

Yes, this is how I've spent part of my evening - reading about amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and other supplements. I'm a freakin' wild man, I tell ya. Party!

13. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Hey it's always fun to get some new workout clothes. That's awesome that you are saving so much money too-- must feel real good :)
    Oh and I am in the same boat with the caffeine -- it's really messing with my sleep schedule!

Wish you continued success :tu:

14. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

What time do you stop taking caffeine? If you do it before 5PM, you should be fine. How much are you taking? Is it from coffee?

15. Ecrivain

ARGH! :bang: My schedule's been FUBAR all week, and it just got worse. I missed morning cardio yesterday, so I did it in the evening, thinking I would put off lifting until tonight. Then I missed morning cardio again today. Fine, I figured I'd lift tonight, break for a bit, then go for a walk. Not ideal, but a decent workaround. Then I saw the bloodmobile in our parking lot this morning. I completely forgot that I'm scheduled to donate blood this afternoon. Lifting after giving blood is probably a bad idea. So I'll probably end up skipping it and just doing cardio. :spank:

I will get sleep this weekend. I will stick to my schedule next week.

Black-Dawn: I'm really looking forward to receiving the mp3 player! I've been using a CD-player during my walks, but it's a bit of a hassle to hold it the entire time. Even then, it still skips when I pick up the pace. Plus it eats through batteries. The MuVo should be great for long walks. For 60 bucks, I think I'll get my money's worth out of it.

Naturegirl: I've found a whole new love for clothes shopping now that I can actually fit into things that don't come from a "Big and Tall" store. I used to dread it. Now it's a treat.

Kilter: I drink tea and/or yerba mate throughout the day while I'm at work, but my last mug is usually empty by 4 or 5pm. Some days I take a caffeine pill (200mg) first thing in the morning, and possibly another one around lunch-time, but never later than 3pm. This has just been an incredibly off week for me.

16. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how the tea you're taking translates into mgs of caffeine but you might be taking too much, even if you stop at 4pm. I usually take 600mg a day. I believe this is a lot already but I can sleep just fine.

17. Ecrivain

The internet knows everything about caffeine.

So, lemme calculate a "worst case" day:
    6:30am - vivarin - 200mg
    8:30am - yerba - 20mg
    10:30am - black tea - 70mg
    11:30am - vivarin - 200mg
    2:00pm - black tea - 70mg

Total = 560mg

That's probably the most I'd ever have in a day. Usually it's less, with green tea instead of black, which has half the caffeine. If I'm still a mess next week, I'll start tracking it closer.

18. Ecrivain

Last night I dreamed of fruit. And I don't just mean that I was having a dream and I noticed some fruit in it. No, I dreamed about fruit. It was mostly citrus: oranges and key limes and grapefruit were everywhere. Mounds of them. Beautiful, juicy, fresh fruit. And I dreamed that because noone was eating them, they were all spoiling. They shrivelled and turned black right before my eyes. The horror... the horror. :( And then, when I woke up, I realized that I've had absolutely no fruit in my diet for the past week. Think my body's trying to tell me something?

Edit: I am satisfied. I had a can of (drained and rinsed) mandarin oranges with 1C nonfat cottage cheese and .25C steel cut oats. That may have been the greatest breakfast of my life. :drool:

#98 Ecrivain, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  19. Ecrivain

DOMS If You Do, DOMS If You Don't

I've noticed a pattern in the forums: Novices post when they don't feel DOMS, worried that they're doing something wrong. Various theories are discussed and suggestions are kicked around. Then a veteran shows up and wonders why the hell anyone would actually want to feel soreness.

But I've also noticed that DOMS are mentioned as a badge of honor, the sign of a great and intense workout. Our own JS will even say of a good session that he expects to "feel it" the next day. So even those who have been at this for a long time still feel a certain measure of pleasure and pride in their pain.

The past couple of days, I've been taking stock of my own aches. I started a new lifting routine, so muscles are getting worked in new and delightfully painful ways. My feet are still blistered from the weekend walkabout (no matter what shoes or socks I wore, I knew this was going to happen after 3 hours of walking). The timing and quantity of my nutrition has been spot-on, so every few hours I feel little pangs of hunger. To me, these are all good signs. They are reminders that I am pushing my body, that I am forcing it to become better. My muscles will recover, stronger than before. My feet will heal, the skin growing thicker. My metabolism will increase, becoming more efficient at burning fat.

So, for now, I'm still in the ranks of those that enjoy a bit of discomfort. But I certainly look forward to the day when I am so confident in my training and conditioning that I, too, can wonder why anyone would want to feel soreness.

20. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

I don't normally suffer from DOMS, pretty much only the first week
    of doing a new exercise. I remember the first week I started doing
    pullups and chinups, I can't imagine why anybody would want
    to spend a week without being able to turn his head to the left. :)

Shahar.