1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

#61 bmacntmac, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Making an analogy, the good thing about JSF is that while we are on the way to the finish line, we help and cheer each other to get there!

3. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I've said before, elsewhere, that I wish there were a real-life version of these forums so that I could hang out with people I know share my goals, so that I could socialize without being in unhealthy situations. For now, I just try to keep the bits I read here in mind when I'm out there (in the cold, cruel world). I've already declined some invitations to go out because I just didn't want to deal with it. And I have another confession to make: I'm a homebrewer. There, I've outed myself. Beer has been a big part of my life for the past few years. I've travelled around the country to visit breweries and go to tastings. I've learned and practiced the science of turning raw ingredients into beer. Right now, in the same basement that I workout in, there are around 50 gallons of beer in various stages of fermentation. There's another 15 gallons in a kegerator, ready to drink. Luckily, production is out-pacing consumption these days. In fact, I don't drink at home at all anymore. But six months ago, I was sure that I wanted to make brewing beer my career. And honestly, if I had sudden wealth and financial freedom, I would probably still want to give it a shot. Trying to balance that hobby (and possible career) with my new lifestyle is a constant struggle.

If I, with my formerly-375-pound asthmatic body, were to finish before the official close of the course (which, I believe, would give me about 8 hours), I'm pretty sure I'd consider it a success. :lol: I ran the idea by a few other friends, and nobody told me I was completely nuts. So, I'm going to keep walking for my cardio, maybe try some longer routes, and see how my body likes it. And I'll ask the doctor about it when I go for my physical. If my knees don't fall off, and the doc gives the thumbs up, then I'll sign up. I'm looking at training schedules and other shorter races around here, too. I'm actually kind of psyched about it. :D Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

I was jazzed all day today. I woke up before my alarm clock. I felt great. The scale was good to me. The morning walk around the neighborhood was fantastic, with the cool crisp air filling my lungs, and the Sun breaking through the clouds. I even had a good day at work, got quite a bit accomplished. I wore one of my new shirts today and a friend commented that she liked the way it looked on me. I was on top of the world. I was just sure I would lift like a champ tonight. But when the time came, I nearly talked myself out of working out. I swear, I can be so moody sometimes. The conversation in my head went something like this (picture a devil on one shoulder, angel on the other):

I'm feeling a little tired.
    I can sleep after I finish. Get to work.
    Sleep is more important. I could get lots of sleep if I went to bed now.
    It doesn't take that long to lift some weights. Do it now.
    I could do extra cardio tomorrow or something instead.
    I need muscle. I know this. Go! Lift!
    Sleep. Skip a meal. I'll lose more weight.
    I'll lose muscle, not fat. Don't be stupid.
    Fine, fine, FINE. *grumble*​

The procrastination went on like that for far too long. That's one problem with working out at home: it's easy to find distractions. But eventually, I got into the groove. It wasn't my best session, but I did it. It's a mental victory, even if it doesn't lead to much physical progress. And now I can go to sleep without the burden of guilt.

Whew. Lots on my mind tonight. Glad I got all that out.

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

My dad (and I will probably partake as well, once I have adequate spacing set up) is a home kit winemaker. The best part is -- the wine is REALLY good. Just before I got on this big fitness kick, I picked up about 11 kits, so now he's making something in the neighbourhood of 330 bottles of wine for me.

Guess how many I'm drinking a week? Probably about...oh...0.125, if you average it out.

Doh.

As for working out at home, I often wish I could...I find it easier to talk myself out of doing it (see my lack of success in the April and May cardio challenges) when I have to go to the gym. I'm NOT good at making myself go down there. Not good at all. It's only 10 minutes away, too.

I'd love to have a house with a good gym set up in the basement where I can blast some tunes and just hit it hard at home. That'd make me happy.

5. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

6. Ecrivain

Quick Update

So far, my knees, shins, and heart seem to be fine with hour-long brisk walks. I'm getting a blister on my left foot - no big deal. But @#$%@# my nipples hurt! Nobody warned me about that one.

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    My biggest problem with sobriety has definetly been the social aspect. At first I wanted to drink because I wanted to drink. Booze, for all of its evils, certainly helps dissolve any anxiety that may be plaguing you. It only lasts as long as the alcohol's being processed, of course, but for that time it's damn effective. :nod:

Now when I'm out in a drinking situation with my friends it's not difficult to avoid the alcohol at all. I've got a streak going and that, combined with the positive effect its had on my fitness, makes it easy to refuse. The problem comes in the duration. I've got no problem hanging out in a bar and BS'ing with my friends for a couple (i.e. two) hours. After that I just get bored out of my skull while they're only just gettin' warmed up. :rolleyes:

The volleyball league sounds like the perfect solution. Go play some volleyball (fun, social, and no need to drink while you're playing) and then socialize afterwards for some relaxation time. By the time boredom begins to set in, nobody looks at you funny for leaving. Nice! :tu:

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol:

Runner's Nipple! Often referred to as "The Dreaded Runner's Nipple". :lol:

Some advice here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/227.shtml along with other issues no one may have told you about.

I haven't gotten it since I stopped wearing cotton shirts to work out. Before that I'd just put a band-aid over each nip before a long run.

9. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

LOL!!!! bandaids? lol!

10. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Just checking out your journal. I see that you have some real motivation and have accomplished a lot, congratulations!

In the last page you have hit on a topic near and dear to my heart...beer. I love it! A good micro-brew or two with some buddies, not much else warms my heart like that does outside of my wife and family. How do you resist it in social situations. M@, what do you drink instead? Club Soda? I never got that whole deal, is it just club soda with a lemon type of deal?

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll usually drink ice water with lemon. If I'm feeling tempted I'll drink regular Coke instead since that's a treat for me.

Forgot to mention: If you use bandaids or tape or anything on your nips, shave! Those hairs are rooted somewhere near your spine, I swear. :eek:

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I find that bailing on drinking is actually pretty easy if you approach it properly...at least in my experience.

Not one single person has hassled me when I've said "Actually, I'm not drinking anymore, I'm working on losing some weight.*"

*Last sentence optional - most people shut up after the first sentence and just assume you're a recovering alcoholic or something.

13. Ecrivain

The advantages definitely outweigh the possibility for procrastination. I love being able to workout on my own schedule, without worrying about the gym being open or being too crowded. Luckily, I have enough space in the basement, and my roommate already had some equipment, so I've been able to add to that and I now have a fairly complete setup that's cost me much less than a year-long membership would have. Sometimes I think I'm missing out on some of the comradery and atmosphere of working out at a gym, but then I read a few horror stories here and I know I'm better off. ;)

It's the most fun I've ever had with a hobby. It helps that the results taste great and pack a nice buzz. But digging into the science, building the equipment, and tweaking the recipes is just incredibly enjoyable to me. Lately, I've been able to still get the same pleasure out of brew-days, even knowing I won't get to indulge in the results. I don't know how long that will last, though.

I've certainly used booze as a crutch. I feel much, much better about myself now that I can go out and have one or two, as opposed to 6 or 12. I don't crave alcohol, or the buzz it brings, nearly as much as I thought I would. In fact, I'm finding that applies to quite a few other areas as well. I don't miss the foods I thought I'd miss. I think I'm lucky that I don't have an addictive personality. I've had my share of bad habits (obviously), but they've generally been by choice, regardless of how self-destructive they were. I was able to give up cigarettes (long ago) without much suffering. I've been fast-food-free since the 1st of this year. If I ever decided that alcohol absolutely needed to be cut out of my life, I believe I could do that as well. We're all so much stronger than we tend to give ourselves credit for. So why don't I do it? I like it. I think I can work it into my life, somehow. And there is absolutely a social aspect to it that I would miss.

That site offers this remedy: "smear a little petroleum jelly on the nipples." It never occurred to me that something I already do in my leisure time could have legitimate athletic and medical applications. :lol:

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I'm with M@, ditch the cotton and all will be well.

15. Ecrivain

That's good news. I was getting worried I might need to wear a jog-bro. :jumping:

16. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

ROFL!!!

17. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Just like M@ suggested ditching the cotton shirts, ditch the cotton socks as well. I was running long distances and it made a world of difference when I switched over to different socks. I bought the Wigwam Sport ones. I think it's a nylon polyester mix. I found them at a running store here in Chicago called Fleet Feet. I'm not sure if they have other locations, but I'm sure any sports store will have them.

As for the bandaids - good luck with that ;)

18. Ecrivain

I had a thought this morning. Dangerous, I know, but it does happen every so often. Maybe it was brought about by the fact that I've emptied a 24oz bottle of vitamin E lotion in the past month and I realize I now have more skin-care products in my medicine cabinet than I've ever had in my entire life. Maybe it was because I've been looking for a new hairstyle, something beyond a buzz-cut. Maybe it's a result of the clothes shopping I've been doing lately. Maybe it was because we had an entire discussion yesterday based around my nipples. Or maybe it hit me because of mastover's comment that he plans on walking around the locker room in his undies to show off his legs to other guys.

My thought was this: I'm not just in this for my health. And I think that's the case for most of us here. But beyond that, it strikes me that while this forum has moments when it is dripping in testosterone, there is something else going on too. It's not just vanity. I'm loathe to call it metrosexuality, simply because I hate the word. But there's definitely something unexpected to me about finding intense conversations about favorite scents and body shaving.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. In fact, I kind of dig that we have this balance here, where elsewhere there can be such a dichotomy between the traditionally masculine and feminine.

19. Ecrivain

Resistance is Futile

Fitness can be infectious. More of my coworkers are taking the stairs to our area on the 5th floor now. It's becoming a point of pride. We notice who comes in on the elevator side versus who comes in on the stairs side. But even better: I've started taking "water and stair breaks" with one of them. When we need to get away from the cube farm for a bit, we'll grab our bottles and go to the water cooler on the 1st floor for a refill. Then we sprint back up the stairs. He's a smidge faster than me, but I can still keep up and I don't pant nearly as much at the finish. ;) It's great! I'm drinking more water and I'm getting a little cardio throughout the day.

20. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

My company is promoting exercise among its employees. It's basically a competition where the employees are divided in groups to dispute which one accumulates the most amount of exercised minutes (trust based) in a space of 4 months. There will be a prize for the winner group given each month and at the end of the competition. My group won last month ;). More people want to join. Things are getting extreme. A lot of people go walking during lunch time (you double time if you exercise with a colleague). Yes, fitness is infectious.