1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

No, not in your case. You're just been paranoid. She's probably seen you before and recognized you. Enjoy the compliments and keep your progress on. :tucool:

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    How are your clothes fitting? That's the easiest thing for me to spot. Were I to put on the clothes I was wearing in January now I'd look like I was wasting away.

If she's got someone in her life who's going through a similar transformation she may have noticed similarities that prompted her to ask the question. I highly doubt you have any characteristic that brands you to the untrained eye as someone who is steadily transforming themself. ;)

M@

3. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Good point M@. I was thinking more on the physical aspect, but the clothes can definitely tell.

4. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

Cheekbones.
    Belts cranked all the way in.
    Shirts and pants that look like sails.
    A very different pile of items on the conveyor at the register.
    Skin tone.

These are more differences than single data point indicia. But sometimes people see you more than you thing.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you were at a fairly spectacular weight not too long ago. People really notice anyone who is 300+, let alone 350+. It leaves an impression. You have made great progress and I imagine that someone who had seen you before would have taken note, and when they see you now, it's a very different experience.

Take it as the best type of comment: an unsolicited compliment.

5. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

"A fairly spectacular weight" - I like that. ;) It's odd to think that it was "normal" for so long to me. I know I was huge. And I knew it at the time. But oddly enough, I never felt like people noticed. I felt more invisible than memorable.

Maybe it is the clothes. I realized this morning that I'm already at the last hole in the belt I bought just a month or two ago. I didn't feel like I was wearing baggy clothes, but I guess a 3XL shirt doesn't quite fit the same anymore. :tucool: It's a good problem to have. I'll treat myself to some new threads sometime later in the Summer, perhaps.

Regardless, I do take all of the comments as compliments. It's nice to be noticed for something positive. It's just going to take some time to get used to. And it's awesome to think that people might see me and be motivated to make improvements in their own lives. (I'm certainly not doing this for attention or admiration, but anything that inspires people to be better is probably a good thing).

6. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

Your progress so far has been stunning. Keep it up. Not for anyone else. Not for the attention, but for yourself.

Everyone here has been through something similar - maybe not as dramatic as what you have been doing, but similar on some levels. I've only lost 46 lbs (started in January 2005, and have been within 4 pounds of 202 since July 2005), but it's not easy, even when you are making it look easy.

In short, we all relate, and admire your effort and consistency - not just the results.

7. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

I missed this thread, so a bit late:

WOW! :claphigh:

Good work, and I'm a fan of Gordon Freeman as well (aren't we all Gordon Freemans). I also love your journal's title, sounds like a Tom Venuto book to me! ;)

8. Ecrivain

TAS: Thanks! Maybe I can reuse this title for my memoirs someday. :tu:

BD: Your comments are always thoughtful and greatly appreciated. It helps to give me some perspective.

Maybe I've been making this all sound easier than it really is. Obviously, you all can't possibly get the whole picture in this limited medium. But I try to keep a positive outlook here, because this is the place I come to for inspiration and motivation. This community is where I can be with like-minded individuals, people who share my goals and understand my challenges. I try not to taint that too much with the daily crud of life.

So you may see a little more of my pride and ego than others see. You get a rosy picture. And that's not to say it's an inaccurate picture. I've never been dishonest with what I've written. But it's just one perspective. It's something to keep my spirits up and remind me that the effort, the struggle, is worthwhile.

I've had plenty of my own setbacks and failures. I've had rough days. I've had downright crappy days. I've wrestled with temptations. I've made sacrifices. I've changed my life to the point that I can't even relate to some people I formerly considered friends. It wasn't always easy and it certainly wasn't always painless, emotionally or physically.

And honestly, as I slowly get closer to achieving my goals, I get more and more scared that I will falter.

But I make an effort not to let those things get me down. I push them away. I try to keep my head high.

9. Ecrivain

Like many others, I was inspired by mastover's Mind Games post. So, in the spirit of challenge, I ventured a little beyond my comfort zone tonight. Nothing too drastic, as I'm still very much a novice. I focused on squats, warmed up and did one set with my usual weight and rep scheme. Then I did a few sets with increased weight and lower reps. The point mastover made about the difference in concentration levels was spot-on. I also did them shoeless, and I could feel some positive changes because of that as well. I took a video of myself doing one of the higher-weight sets. Since I lift alone, it's the best way I have to check my form, aside from going by what I feel (which isn't always to be trusted). I see room for improvement, but it didn't look too shabby.

It was nice to mix things up a bit. The energy carried through to the rest of my exercises. It's too easy to get in a rut, to get bogged down by the work part of the workout. Sweating and grunting can be fun, too, ya know. :evil:

10. Ecrivain

Random Thoughts Mildly Related to Fitness and Goals

I survived another happy hour challenge last night by consuming only 2 beers over the course of about 4 hours. I didn't even finish my 2nd beer. I really just wanted to go home and go to bed. However, being a social butterfly brings with it certain obligations and responsibilities that I simply cannot set aside. (Can you see the sarcasm in that last sentence? It's there).

I've made an appointment for a physical and fasted bloodwork. I surveyed all of my friends, trying to find a doctor. Nobody seems to like theirs. My roommate is the only one with positive comments about his, so I called to schedule something with him. It turns out he's leaving to teach at a local hospital. So I'll be visiting the other doctor at this practice, who just happens to be a female. It's been quite awhile since I've had a physical, so I may not remember everything it involves. But I'm pretty sure my tender bits are going to be exposed. I'm trying to keep in mind that my health is more important than my pride. So, begin the count-down to July 12th, when I will hopefully find out that I'm fabulously fit.

I believe I've found a fairly healthy activity with which to occupy my time. I'm joining an outdoor volleyball league that begins mid-July. Some friends and coworkers are putting together a little team. It's not very competative, mostly just an excuse to socialize and get a little fresh air. The bad part: it's at a bar. They turn part of their parking lot into several sand courts. But I think I'll be able to participate without drinking. I've got that much faith in my willpower. :flex:

11. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

I went to the Dr. a couple of weeks ago for the first time in YEARS. I went to have a bump on my neck looked at. The Dr. was a woman and I was a little concerned about what else would be checked other than my neck. Everything was going great when she started to put on a pair of rubber gloves. :eek: My heart sank and I felt like I was in a scene from a Ben Stiller movie. I wasn't sure what she was going to do but I was sure that I was not going to like it. As it turned out she just checked under my arms for lumps. Glad I went. Everything checked out OK. She asked if I worked out because she said I had an extremely healthy heart. :flex:

You were exactly right about the pride thing. I doubt that you are going to show her anything that she hasn't seen a thousand times before. You'll be glad you went.

The bump on my neck was a ?lypoma? which is a little pocket of fat. So basically I've got a fat neck:lol:

-bmac

12. Ecrivain

That line is both incredibly amusing and horrifying all at once. :lol:

Today I noticed some shirts on sale while I was out shopping. It was a really good deal on short-sleeve shirts, which I need. But the sizes only went up to 2XL. I figured I'd still get a couple and they might fit in a few months. I waited till I got home to try them on, not getting my hopes up. They actually fit! Quite well, too. I'm sure it's just a generous cut, or something with the style. I've still got some 2XL t-shirts I wouldn't wear in public. But, man, this feels nice. This alone should be enough motivation to get me through the week.

13. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

congrats on your progress so far! it is so inspiring ;0)

i run into a similar issue when it comes to happy hour. I'm actually a member of a "thursday night drinking club", this makes it tough to stay on plan. I've started going and just getting water with lemon and I gotta say that sometimes it is really tough. especially when my friends start to say "oh just get a bacardi and coke, that doesnt have anything in it", the problem for me is that once i start drinking, i lose willpower to turn down food.

you are doing a great job. keep it up!
    :claphigh:

14. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Just got caught up on your journal. You have done an AMAZING job.

And yet - you're so modest. Flaunt that 2XL! You deserve it!

15. Ecrivain

Is there anything better than a solid workout followed up by reading complimentary comments from two lovely ladies?

No. No there is not, my friends. I'm on top of the world. :jumping:

Zoetastic: Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. :) I'm still struggling with the best way to handle social boozing situations. I don't think I'm going to cut out alcohol entirely right now, but I'm having a hard time balancing it with the rest of my goals. The past two times I've gone out, I've stopped after two drinks. It's a good start for me. It hasn't ruined my progress, and it's allowed me to get through a night without explaining to everyone why I'm drinking water. Next weekend, however, I've promised a couple of friends that I would go out of town with them to a campout/barbecue. The booze will be flowing and I'm pretty sure I'll have more than two. For my sanity's sake, I think I'm just going to let it go and chalk it up to a serious cheat-day.

bellezza: I appreciate your taking the time to wade through all of this! :p I promise it's not modesty. There's still a lot of work to be done. But I'm getting there, and the friendly, generous, and knowledgeable people of this community are keeping me on track.

16. Zoetastic

2 things i have noticed:

1) if you have water on ice with lime, it looks like you might be having vodka or other such clear drink. it's a nice psych-out ;)

2) in the future, if the drinking isn't on my designated "cheat day" then i am planning on just telling people that i'm training for a 5k or something. this isn't exactly true but it's close enough. ;) i dont feel that i'm in shape enough to just say "hey, i'm an athlete so that's why i'm not drinking", but if i can convey that i'm working towards some sort of athletic goal, then i think it helps get them to leave me alone ;)

have a great week!

17. Ecrivain

Everyone who knows me, knows I'm a beer and whiskey guy, so clear isn't going to work. I could do diet coke or iced tea. Or I could just give up the fear of peer-pressure, face it like an adult, and own up to the fact that some nights I don't want to drink because I'd rather have a fit, healthy body than a cheap buzz. I'll get to that point. But obviously there's still some part of me that doesn't want to give it up. I'm weak.

I do like your second point, though. Between that, and re-reading bmac's journal, I'm starting to think that having a specific fitness-related goal to work towards is a good idea. I'm not a runner, but maybe walking a marathon or half-marathon. I've been digging through Marathon Walking and some training plans and it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. Am I wacked out of my skull? Could I pull it off by mid-October? Magic 8-Ball says: More research required. I don't want to set myself up for massive failure or injury, but it would be nice to have something solid to strive for (aside from a fantastic, svelt, swoon-inducing body).

18. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

If you enjoy walking I say Go For It!! There are smaller events almost every weekend throughout the state. Find a training program you like and see what weekend you are scheduled to do about 3 miles. Register for a 5k that weekend. If you get the 'bug' and enjoy it find a weekend when you are to do 6 miles (or the amount of time it takes you to walk that distance). Register for a 10k.

Can't give any advice past that distance because that's as far as I've done. Sticking my head out to do a half is OK for me-don't want to be responsible for that pain for you!:D

The key is to register for the event and get someone to do it with you.
    :gl:

-bmac

19. Zoetastic

you can totally do it ;)

Let me tell you something, you can amaze yourself once you get on that treadmill. I know I did. If you told me 6 months ago that I'd be able to jog 2 miles without stopping, I would have asked you if you were smokin crack ;) but now I'm doing it. Sure, I'm no speed racer, but it's progress none the less. i have also started doing HIIT and managed to sprint at 7.5 the other day. ME! my short, chubby legs were a-goin ;) and seriously, i never would have thought i would be able to go that fast.

we all have to start somewhere to progress. you can doooo it ;)

20. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

I say go for it! Start small, just get the feel for doing a "race," and see if you like it.

There's nothing like crossing a finish line. No matter what the distance, or speed, it's a great accomplishment!!

As for the drinks, I'm right there with ya. I don't want to give it up, either. I feel like if I do I'll be sitting on my couch every weekend watching movies by myself. I know if I go out I'll want to have a couple with my friends. (I'm weak, too). We all need to move to the same city so we can have a social circle with only clean eating and nights that don't revolve around bars! (sigh) a girl can dream, right?