1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Wow man... bow down. Keep it up and you will get those goals accomplished. Good luck on finding the secret hide out... ever seen the Seinfeld with George dates the model and gets into the secret hideout? I couldn't help but think of that one.

2. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Black-Dawn: I'm 1/1 on my personal Sleep Challenge. I got the full 8 hours last night. I feel sooooo much better today. A few more nights like that, and I'm sure I'll be back to performing 100%. This morning's cardio was a breeze compared to previous days.

BigDog: Thanks for the kind words. I feel good about losing 100 lbs, but I almost feel it's been too easy. As I've said before, it's practically impossible not to lose weight when you need about 4000 calories to maintain. I know it's going to get progressively harder. When I'm down to cutting those last 10-20 pounds, and I reach my goal, then I'll allow myself to be impressed with my progress. ;)

Like M@ pointed out, my avatar is the main character from Half-Life 2. I chose it, not just because I enjoy the game, but also because there is a bit of similarity. It's what I could look like.

DeafNgari: Thanks! Women are a crafty, sly lot, I tell ya. But I'll get there. :evil:

3. Ecrivain

2/2 on Sleep Challenge
    20/20 on Morning Cardio Challenge

Bring on the world! I'm feeling really good this morning. After breakfast, my roommate and I are going to roam the neighborhood. Our community is having a huge garage sale. I'm hoping to be able to find some failed New Year's resolutions (read: exercise equipment) on the cheap. I've decided to add to the basement gym instead of buying a membership somewhere. It'll be less expensive and it's really nice to just walk downstairs to workout. Right now we've got a bike, bench, olympic bar and weights, and a Powerline "Hardcore Gym" (which I don't really like). Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a Weider 565 power cage and more weights that I found for a pretty good price on Craigslist. I know the cage isn't the best quality, but I just want something to help me squat safely.

Of course, a home gym does lack a certain type of... inspiration.

4. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

Hearing about 100 pound weight loss motivates me to no end. Makes me know without a doubt that I can lose 40!!

Keep up the great work!!!:claphigh:

-bmac

5. Ecrivain

3/3 on Sleep Challenge. I actually woke up before my alarm went off this morning. There are no more bags under my eyes. There are no more cobwebs in my brain. And I had much more energy for morning cardio. It's amazing how a commitment to small changes can make such a big difference.

6. Ecrivain

The Mean Reds

And just like that, things get turned around. Last night I started feeling the blahs. I kept putting off my workout. When I did it, it was half-hearted. I was a little late getting to bed. This morning I was a zombie doing cardio. I had absolutely no motivation at work. I should've just stayed home. I didn't get much of anything accomplished.

I have no idea what it is. My diet hasn't changed. I'm more rested than I've been in awhile. I feel strong. Everyone around me is getting sick, but my health seems to be fine. I just feel... crappy. I suppose the word is depressed. I haven't felt like this in months and months. I don't want to be around people. I don't want to do anything. I'm going to go to bed early and hope that I snap out of it tomorrow.

I guess, even with a healthier lifestyle, it's impossible to stay upbeat all the time.

7. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

This happens - you may feel well rested, and you may even BE well rested, but your body isn't used to building muscle and burning fat for as long a time as you have been doing it, and sometimes the blahs kick in. Whether it's physical or mental, I don't know - and it doesn't really matter.

Free advice, take it for what it's worth.
    1) Getting lean is hard work. Appreciate that, and it will help with the mindset.
    2) Are you giving yourself two days a week away from weights? One day off of all training?
    3) Have you had a week off of lifting recently? Sometimes that recovery week makes all the difference in the world.
    4) And sometimes, you are just tired.

It seems pretty normal to me to get a case of the blahs when getting fit. Progress isn't linear, and isn't as fast as anyone would like. It's hard work, etc. Plateaus are tougher to deal with.

The one thing that I did say to myself on those mornings that I was (or am) just dragging, was that if I was going to hit the weights, I was going do it hard. After that, I could have the blahs.

Hang in there - bd

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Damn! I was finishing up a post to your journal and my 'puter crashed so I'll have to start anew.

I just finished, before the crash, reading your journal and all I can say is, "Wow!". You've made tremendous progress and you should be quite proud of your self. Based upon the dedication that you've shown so far, I'm confident that you'll reach your future goals.

As to yesterday's blahs, don't sweat it. They happen to everyone, or at least they do to me and everyone I know. When such a feeling comes over me I still push myself to get to the gym because I know that once I start working out my energy level (mental and physical) rises. Its a win win. On the rare occasion that I don't workout I spend a lot of energy being mad at myself afterwards and I wind up teetering on a negativity meltdown. Clearly a lose lose.

I wanted to stop by to throw my hat of support into the ring and let you know that there's another JSF'er out there rooting for you. Keep up the great work.

9. Ecrivain

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. As always, I can count on this community for help and support. It's truly appreciated.

Maybe part of it is that up until this point, it's felt easy. I guess I'm hitting the point where progress isn't going to come as easily or quickly. The honeymoon is over and the real work is starting.

I did make it through my workout tonight. It wasn't my best, but I did it and I feel a bit better. In fact, I went up in weight on the bench press, which was a nice little boost. That just confirms to me that this (whatever it is) is mostly in my head. I had almost convinced myself that it was a stomach virus or something this morning. I think I'd feel better if I could pin it on something physical. But no, I'm fine. The body is willing, but the spirit is weak.

Seltzer: You're right, I would've felt twice as bad if I'd skipped my workout because of a funk. I'm not going to let this get me off track.

BD: I do plan on taking a week off sometime in the near future, before switching routines. I may need to do it sooner rather than later. I just want to make sure to do it on my terms, not when a foul mood hits.

No worries. Gonna push through this thing.

10. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

The hardest part of fitness is dealing with the downs and not getting burned out. It's very easy to loose track, but keeping yourself on electric shock every time you do something wrong, eat a bad meal or skip a cardio is not a good thing either. Face this journey as a life style change. It might take some time to adjust. It will become easy like breathing. You mentioned that doing cardio is much easier now. It will become much easier with time.

There will be a lot of temptations like going to a Chinese buffet with co-workers for a lunch meeting. Just go and control yourself. Easy to say, I know, but has to be done - you are going to face those situations a lot of times. Every Thursday, I eat out with a bunch of coworkers for lunch - just socializing really. I used to have no self control whatsoever. Once I stated my fitness program, I started to discipline myself and found out that is was possible to find healthy foods on a restaurant menu or on a buffet selection. In those situations, it's more about the portion than what you eat, as long as it doesn't become a habit.

You certainly need discipline but fitness is like acquired taste, appreciation will be gained after substantial exposure to it.

By the way, wow. Your progress is freaking awesome.

11. Ecrivain

Tonight I face the challenge of <cue dramatic music> Happy Hour. I considered coming up with an excuse to bail out. But there's no need to hide. I'm stronger than that. Besides, I want to visit with these friends. I just have to exercise self-control. I don't need to down a dozen pints. I don't need to gorge on grease-laden pizza. I can be surrounded by temptation and still show restraint. My purpose tonight is not to poison my body and thwart my progress. My purpose is to socialize and relax. I will keep this in my mind at all times.

I'm reminded of this comic strip.

12. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

If you feel awkward not having anything on your hands while everybody else has a drink, order iced tea. If pizza is the only option, eat a small portion extremely slowly.

13. Ecrivain

I handled the Happy Hour ordeal fairly well, if I do say so myself. I ate a clean meal prior to going to the bar, so pizza and wings were easy to turn down. I chewed on a pint of Guinness for the first few hours. And then a Maker's Mark on the rocks got me through the rest of the night. Two drinks over the course of about six hours isn't too bad, I think. I know it's not great to go that long without eating, but I decided that a delayed meal (I did eat when I got home afterwards) was better than consuming bar food. I got to spend time with the people I wanted to see, and I managed to stay mostly within my nutrition goals.

It helped that I got plenty of compliments through the course of the night. I, and several of my coworkers, used to be regulars at this bar, to the point that the waitresses would see us pulling into the parking lot and have our drinks ready for us at our usual table. Even though I haven't been there in over 6 months, the very cute bartender (who I learned is recently single) came over and gave me a big hug when I walked in. All night she kept telling me how great I looked. She mentioned that, since she split with her ex, she dropped some weight too. Harmless customer/bartender flirting went on throughout the evening. And before I left she told me that I had to come back on Friday so the rest of the girls could see the new me. I won't go (I already have plans, and I'm not sure how much booze-temptation I can resist), but it was definitely nice to get some positive attention. :evil:

Despite a slight lack of sleep, I feel pretty good today. I think I needed a night out more than I needed rest. I'm back on track and ready to tackle whatever comes at me.

14. Bambam07

Bambam07 Well-Known Member

15. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny how we call it "happy hour"? It seems much more innocent than "happy six hours". :lol:

Kidding aside - great job. It could easily have been much worse. :tu:

-bmac

16. Ecrivain

I'm all jazzed up! I had a fantastic workout last night. Me and my ego sat down and had a little talk. I explained that I needed to back off of a few things, and really work on form, pace, and quality rather than quantity. So I got my full-body workout down to 4 compound and 2 isolated exercises, plus sit-ups. I did some proper warm-up sets. I lowered the weight on a couple of things, so I could focus on perfect form. Everything came together. It felt right. I think I understand the mind/muscle connection that others talk about now.

I'm so ready for a nice long weekend. :D

17. Ecrivain

Voicemail from last night, left by two female friends: "We've had a couple of margaritas, we look good, and we're bored. Where are you?!"

I was in the basement, lifting heavy weights, like a good boy. Phone nowhere around. Ahh, the frustrations of clean living. :doh:

Let's not dwell on that. Let's get back to goals and plans. I've got a short-term task list in mind:
    1. Visit doctor to confirm that I'm actually healthy.
    2. Start a new workout routine. I want to stick with full-body, but I'm still researching possibilities. I'm considering doing something based on the infamous 20-rep squats (see also: super squats) for 6-8 weeks, or maybe one of the variations on Bill Starr's Big Three or 5x5.
    3. Start creatine supplementation, assuming doctor confirms that I'm actually healthy.
    4. Look good and impress everyone at the Pig Roast in late June.

Now I'm going to go enjoy the remainder of this holiday and try to forget about the night that could've been. ;)

#37 Ecrivain, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  18. smurfy

smurfy Active Member

Hey man. What can i say.. WOW ya progress is amazing. its people like you that keep me going at my diet. :) im the tyep of person that comes to these webpages for advice but most of all inspiration in seeing others progress and you are such a inspiration to me man just wanted to say thx :)

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

"Note to self: always check voicemail after lifting so that I can get laid randomly"

20. Ecrivain

The Look of Loss

It happened again this weekend. I was checking out at a grocery store, and the lady that was bagging my groceries looked at me and said, "I can tell you've lost a lot of weight recently!" The strange part is that I don't normally go to this store. It's highly unlikely she's seen me before. And the way she said it, it wasn't like she recognized me, but rather that I look like someone that's lost weight. I should've asked her how she came to that conclusion, but I was a bit stunned. Instead, we went through the standard conversation:

"How'd you do it?"
    "Eating fewer calories, working out more."
    "Great job! Keep up the good work."
    "Thanks!"

So, is there some feature that identifies me now? Can everyone tell that I'm mid-transformation? Am I branded as a former fatty? Is there a look of loss?