1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Laughed about the lopsided lift...I did kind of the same thing once when I forgot to put the collar on the bar.....weights started sliding off and I almost toppled over.:o Thank God no audience!

I know you'll do great in Asheville, E! I'm sure the thinking about it beforehand must be worse than the event itself? Seems like everything moves so fast, you don't have much time to be nervous during the derby. Not that I've had any experience......anyway, you'll be wonderful!:tu:

2. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I still get shaky thinking about it. I know most of the audience won't be watching me, but I also know there will be refs there that will be judging my performance. I want to represent my team well and make them proud. I think you're right, when it comes to the actual event, I should be to busy to be nervous. :nod:

There's a slight twist, though. I forgot to mention: I'm running a 10K race the morning of the derby, also. These things always seems like such a good idea at the time I'm registering. :doh: I'm going to be hustling on Saturday!

Today: 3.1 mi (26:14) on treadmill. I procrastinated and wasted a good opportunity to run outside on a fairly nice day. :o Still, I got something done, eventually.

3. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

I often take on tasks and then the day comes and I'm thinking "what the hell was I thinking?" I'm sure you'll do great! How many hours do you have in between the race and derby practice. Maybe theres a E nap for the afternoon?

You got something done and that all that matters!:nod:

4. Ecrivain

I should have three hours to get from the finish of the race, back home, cleaned up, scarf some grub, and head back out to where I'm meeting the other refs to carpool. No rest for the wicked. Just lots of energy drinks. :spaz:

And it's not just derby practice. It's an actual bout. Two, really, because it's a double-header and I'm shadowing for both. So, a 10K race followed by at least two hours of skating. Legs, don't fail me now! :scared:

(Can you tell I'm still a bit nervous?)

Wednesday:
    press 125 x 3; 135 x 3; 140 x 4
    press 115 x 10,6,6; 100 x 10,8
    bb bo row 185 x 10,10,10,10,10
    I thought it had been awhile since I'd just done high-rep presses for accessory work. And afterward, I remembered the reason. It makes me left elbow hurt. :doh:

Thursday: rest

Today:
    deadlift 300 x 3; 320 x 3; 340 x 4
    pull-through 100 x 10; 150 x 10; 195 x 10; 215 x 10,10,10
    db shrug 2x120 x 20,20,20
    I dropped a 45lb plate on my pen, crushing it, and splattering ink everywhere, including my lifting log, which now looks like a Rorschach test. I've been a real menace in the gym this week. :lol:

Gonna clean my skates, finish packing my gear, and try to get to sleep early tonight.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Kick butt in the race and enjoy yourself at the derby.

6. Ecrivain

Chasing Snakes 10K / Asheville Derby Mega-Update

Thanks! I did, on both counts. In a way.

I didn't set any records, for myself, at the 10K. I did, however, run with a friend, and helped her keep a pace that allowed her to beat her previous time. And I summoned my inner phillydude to crack jokes and keep her smiling during the rough spots. So, I consider it a win. :D

Saturday, Part One: 10K race. Incredibly beautiful weather. Respectable pace. Awesome company.

Saturday, Part Two: Hours and hours of skating at Asheville roller derby double-header.

For the first bout, I shadowed a ref that was a great skater, and kind of a show-off. He had a lot of flair. :rolleyes: Honestly, for the first half, I had trouble focusing on anything besides my own nerves. "Don't fall down! Don't do anything stupid! Don't run into anybody!" I wasn't paying attention to much else. But, by the second half, I realized that it was just like skating in practice. No big deal. And I was better able to focus on the action.

For the second bout, I shadowed a different ref. He was head ref during the previous bout, but was working outside pack for this one. At first, he was helpful, pointing out some tips and explaining some of his calls. But eventually, all I heard from him was, "I'm tired." :rolleyes: Admittedly, it had been a long day at that point, and the bout was pretty boring because one team was way, way better than the other. But still, I was a bit bummed by his whining.

It was a fun experience. I'm glad I got to do it. I learned a few things. But if I'm not going to ref, I'd actually prefer to be a non-skating official, so I can at least feel like I'm doing something.

Sunday: 3 hrs derby practice.

Today, Part One:
    squat 270 x 5; 310 x 3; 345 x 4
    squat 275 x 10; 265 x 10; 255 x 10
    hyper +110 x 12,11,11
    I kept thinking I was going to go for 20 reps for the accessory squats, but my legs and back had different ideas. They didn't have it in 'em after the 345.

Today, Part Two: 2 hrs fresh meat practice. They're dedicating the last 40 minutes of every fresh meat practice to scrimmaging now. This is a good thing, for them, and for the refs. It gives us more to do.

I'm super excited for my special delivery tomorrow! :spaz::spaz::spaz:

7. kree-kree

A Dunkin Donut?

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Did you buy in bagels?

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm glad that Saturday worked out so well, even with the whining ref.

Nice squats there, especially after all your activity the day before.

Suspense. :lol:

10. Ecrivain

Soda bread. :drool:

Moon pies. :drool:

I realized I could never compete with the man that could elevate a bagel to a gourmet experience. So I've just been plying her with beer. Seems to be working. :evil:

Tue: 3.1 mi (25:52) on treadmill.

Wed, Part 1:
    press 120 x 5; 135 x 3; 150 x 2
    db row 120 x [L/R] 15/15, 15/15, 15/15
    db bp 2x75 x 8,8,6
    underhand lat pd 205 x 6; 220 x 4; 235 x 2
    skull crusher 75 x 10,7,6
    Notes from my lifting partner: 1) I could press more if I didn't clean it. 2) The plates at my gym are small. 3) So are my hands. :rolleyes:

Wed, Part 2: 2 hrs derby practice. Not much skating, though, since we were doing skater assessments. Paperwork.

Thu: hike. Freakin' beautiful.

Today:
    deadlift 285 x 5; 320 x 3; 360 x 2
    shrug 295 x 15,15,15
    hanging knee raise +40 x 10,10,10
    Woo-yay for getting the double dead on very, very, very little sleep. Behold, the power of the Seltzer family's magic soda bread. :flex:

What a week! :D

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Soooo, she's keeping you up late also. :lol: It's great, right?

As for the soda bread other than actually purchasing the ingredients my contribution was staying out of the way while they were being made. :)

12. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

monster uh lat pd. god almighty. :bow:

13. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

hey gotta keep all you old guys on ur toes. :p

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can understand me, but are you calling E old? Oh yeah, he's over 30. :lol: You may presently subsribe to the 60's activist Jack Weinberg's statement of not trusting anyone over 30, but just wait missy, it'll be happening to you soon enough. ;)

15. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:) 77 days til i start my own decay

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Choice of words is duly noted. :lol: :tucool:

17. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

yea. missey. mam. dudette.

18. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

she's a walkover:lol:

19. kree-kree

I was holding out for you E...I assumed you were the responsible one of the group and would send me the pic....you suck too;)

20. Ecrivain

Oh, I can't blame it all on her. But there were definitely many late nights.

Thanks. :o

I think I kept up with you all right. And kept you on your toes a few times. :evil:

Ahem. Pssst. Hey Seltzer, just a suggestion, but quoting 60s activists may not be the best move for proving your youthfulness. ;)

tick tock tick tock tick tock

...and burned into my brain. I've never been called "decaying" so often. Geez. Squint at a TV one freakin' time. :rolleyes:

Yas'm. :nod:

I believe we have fully tested the theory that it's entirely possible to survive for a week on beer, with occasional food-like substances. We are indebted to Paddy for our cleanest meals of the week.

Sheesh. Pushy, pushy! I hope you're satisfied now.

Let's see now. What day is it?! :twitch:

Sat: hashing and dancing

Sun: derby scrimmage reffing

Mon: rest

Today: deload
    squat 255 x 5,5,5
    hyper + 110 x 10,10,10
    I am 10 pounds heavier than I was last week. And I am 130 pounds lonelier than I was 8 hours ago. :cry:

I just remembered this conversation from St. Patrick's Day...

Guy: She's a trip. Where'd you get her?
    Me: On the Internet. You can find anything online.
    Guy: No doubt.

:lol:

I've just had one of the best weeks of my life. Now that I've had a moment to sit down and reflect on it, I'm overwhelmed by the amazing people I get to spend time with and the experiences I get to have. I'm ridiculously happy with the path of my life. Perma-grin.

#3560 Ecrivain, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011