1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Gut, Build the Brawn

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Ecrivain, May 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm anxiously waiting for the bout update.

2. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Me too. :)

3. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

x3....details please!

4. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I got to the fairgrounds around 10:00. We use one of the expo buildings. It has a concrete floor, and we spent hours cleaning it, sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping. There can't be any debris on the track. Around 1:00, the head ref took us out to lunch. When we got back, it was time to mark the boundaries. The team's trainer has this down to a science, with a detailed diagram of the track including all the measurements. First we taped off the referee lane, marking the "suicide seats" (where brave fans sit) with hazard tape. Then we laid out thick rope and taped over it to create the actual track boundaries. It was tedious, but important work. The final step was to mop the whole thing with a mixture of water and a coating that makes the concrete a bit more grippy for skates.

Meanwhile, others worked to set up chairs and bleachers, concessions, merchandise tables, ticket sales, team locker-rooms, etc. By 3 or 4, the teams were arriving and getting ready. The referees warmed up. The non-skating officials (including me) got our assignments and final instructions. And then the teams started warming up as the doors opened at 5 and people started arriving.

I knew a lot of work went into bout-prep, but I have a whole new respect for it now. It's non-stop. It takes a ton of teamwork and organization.

During the bout, I worked as a Penalty Tracker. I had a clipboard with a team roster, and my job was to stand in the middle of the track and listen to the refs and mark down minor and major penalties for each player. I worked with a Penalty Whiteboard who marked that same information on a big board so refs and team captains could confirm. This is important because skaters that get 4 minors have to get time in the box, and I need to get that information to the refs as soon as possible. Also, team captains use it for strategy (they may choose not to play a skater with too many majors, for instance, since getting 7 majors leads to expulsion).

So, I didn't actually get to watch the bout. I watched refs. Occasionally, I even had to chase them down to get clarification of a call or let them know to send a skater to the box. I have no idea who was scoring. I just know who got penalties. I did get a close encounter with a skater when she was knocked into me and landed on my foot. Owie. But really, it was great experience, because I got to see the different styles of the various referees.

Despite the exhuasting amount of work involved, it was an absolute blast. I love being part of this sport. It's exciting and chaotic and completely high-energy.

My home team lost the bout. But we totally won the afterparty. :evil:

Sunday: 3 hrs derby practice. Everybody was dragging. See above, re: afterparty.

Today, Part 1:
    squat 270 x 5; 290 x 5; 310 x 6
    squat 275 x 10,10,10
    hyper +100 x 18,18,16
    Today, Part 2: 2 hrs derby practice. The fresh meat had their first scrimmage today. I got to be a jammer ref again! Best part, I called a major on my jammer. The head ref came to me, privately, afterward and said it wasn't a major from what he saw. But I had a better view and was able to explain my reasoning and he agreed with me in the end. Being a good ref means being able to "show your work" and I think I passed that test today.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the detailed recap. Also, congrats on winning the after party. :D

6. Ecrivain

I even fully admit, I couldn't hang with them for the entire afterparty. Or after-afterparty. I'm going to have to work up to all that.:lol:

Today: 6.2 mi (59:47) around town. Just a slow, easy, fun run in the sun.

7. kree-kree

I'm so happy for you E! Sounds to me like you have found something you really enjoy doing and are having a ton of fun doing it!

Nice run!

8. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Lots of great stuff going on in here!

Last year I went to a comic show near me and they had a table set up by their local Roller Derby team. Some of the girls would skate through the place handing out flyers and such. Louisville has a team, so I've considered inviting them to the show.

9. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

congratulations on standing by your call and making your bones with the head ref. that's a very extroverted thing to do. :tucool:

10. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Gosh, I didn't realize you'd be one of the people setting up, too! That's a lot of work in addition to all of the practice. It's great that you love something that much that you'd be willing to do all that. I love your enthusiasm.....always thought you were a pretty neat guy, but heck, you just keep getting neater!:)

11. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I'm jealous E! You know that we'll need a pic of you in the middle of the shit soon. :nod: :tucool:

12. Ecrivain

I'm totally geeked for derby. :nod: It's the only team sport I've ever cared so much about. And I don't even get to play! I'm just happy to support them however I can.

Go for it! If they're anything like my team, they'd be happy to participate.

Sometimes I don't even recognize myself. :o I'm finding that I can be a "covert introvert" at times. It's entirely possible to be confident and engaging, while still being reflective and quiet-ish. At any rate, I'm becoming more comfortable with my introversion, and I see no need to force myself to be an extrovert.

Aw, thanks, imelda! :o I do love it. I'm passionate about the sport, about the positive-energy and empowerment in brings to the participants and fans. I'm happy to do what I can to see the league succeed and grow.

I promise to share pics when I'm a real, true referee in the action. As it is, I still need to NSO a couple more times. And, out of all the shots that were taken at the bout, there really weren't any good ones of me or the other NSOs. Despite being in the middle of the rink, the photographers managed to completely avoid us. :lol:

Today, Part 1:
    press 120 x 5; 125 x 5; 135 x 5
    db row [L/R] 120 x 18/18, 17/17, 17/17
    db bp 2x75 x 6,6,6
    lat pd 220 x 6,5,4
    skull crusher 70 x 10,10,8
    Today, Part 2: 2 hrs derby practice. Some endurance stuff. And a bunch of other drills that didn't call for ref involvement. We kept hoping they would scrimmage, but they didn't. :rolleyes:

13. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

This journal just leaves me with the upbeat warm'n'fuzzies every time I read it at the moment.:dreamy:

14. Ecrivain

I don't want to jinx myself, but life is pretty darn sweet these days. :nod:

Yesterday:
    deadlift 285 x 5; 300 x 5; 320 x 6
    deficit deadlift 275 x 10,10,10
    shrug 275 x 12,10,12
    Last night I caught the tail end of the downtown art crawl, and saw a great jam band from SC play in an awesome new venue. Mighty fine night.

Today: untimed, unmeasured run. I forgot to charge my Garmin. :o So I put on a podrunner podcast and ran for the length of it (~1hr, so ~6mi). Made it a fartlek workout since I was just playing around. Sprints between telephone poles and up some hills. Chasing a ponytail. Running from a dog. Fun stuff like that. ;)

And now it's time to get ready to dance. :dance:

15. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

Nice deads. And sounds like a very nice run, too. Chasing a ponytail, aye?

16. kree-kree

Saw some fun pictues on FB! Looks like E had a nice night :nod:

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope you had a fun night E. Based on what KK wrote, it sounds as if yo did. I'll check the pics out on FB.

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

drove past this yesterday and totally thought of you.

btw i like ur ref name. :nod:

[​IMG]

19. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Winning!

20. Ecrivain

:nod: She was little and fast, but I kept her in my sights for about a mile before our paths diverged.

The pictures don't lie. It was a very nice night.

I definitely enjoyed the dance. And I learned that contra dancers afterparty too. Not quite like a derby afterparty, but still fun. :lol:

:lol: That's about my size!

Thanks!

Bi-winning! No, wait. Tri-winning! NO! Quad-winning!!! :flex:

Yesterday: 3 hrs derby practice.

Today, Part 1:
    squat 290 x 3; 310 x 3; 325 x 5; 275 x 20
    hyper +110 x 10,10,10
    When I was loading the bar for 290, I left off a 25lb plate on the left, and nearly fell sideways when I went to start the lift. :doh: I openly laughed at myself for that one. As I was leaving, there was a guy doing perfect hang-cleans with nice weight. I gawked for a minute. :rolleyes:

Today, Part 2: 2 hrs fresh-meat practice. These are getting so much more fun now that they're hitting and scrimmaging.

The head ref took some time to talk to us about our status. One of the guys that started at the same time as me has already moved up to full referee status. He got to ref his first bout last night for an out-of-town team. I'm a little jealous, but I also know he's earned it. It's not that he's a much better skater than me, or that he knows the rules any better. But he's loud and fearless about making calls. He doesn't hesitate or worry about being wrong. And that's an important difference between us.

For my part, I get to shadow a ref at a double-header bout in Asheville this Saturday. I won't be making calls, I'll just skate behind one of the outside pack refs. It's a great opportunity to watch another ref work.

I have to admit, I'm pretty nervous about skating in front of the crowd. Asheville plays in a huge arena and their attendance is in the thousands, not the hundreds like our team's. But I'm working on having that confidence I wrote about in Paddy's journal.