1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Current Fitness Trends....?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by HevyMetal, Apr 18, 2013.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Back in the day everybody wanted to be a bodybuilder/weightlifter.

Just about every teen male, when I was growing up, would end up owning a bench, set of weights, and a Joe Weider workout chart pinned to the wall.

Nowdays I'm sensing a shift in the wind........

There's lots to choose from.....and the ever deepening divide between those who overeat and those who stay fit and in shape.

What in your opinion is the future trend in fitness of any description?

Are there less bodybuilders and more Crossfitters?
    Are there more runners and less cyclists?
    For example........

What are the teens buying for fitness equipment these days?....(if they're buying anything at all)......

Is it "hip" to be fat?........I see plenty of fat hips.....

Is it possible to work out and "text" at the same time? ..... Makes a good case for dumbells....

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I can only offer the following as an example....

I played a lot of sports in high school....this is '87 - '91.
    In football everyone powerlifted. (Nothing for nutrition advice other than "eat more"....you need to be bigger and stronger)
    In basketball, we just did conditioning and stretching. (Nothing for nutrition advice other than "eat more"...you need calories to fuel yourself)
    In baseball, we did nothing....:lol: (Nothing for nutrition advice other than "dont get fat sitting/standing around)

Then, in college sports, '93 - '96:
    In basketball we did some basic weight training (nothing for leg power...squats, deads, etc...) and plyometrics and brutal conditioning.
    - Nutrition was a little more tailored to the individual....for me, 6' 4" 165 freshman year, they told me, eat everything I can right up to being sick...
    - By my junior year, I was 6' 5" and pushing 190.

In baseball, we still did basically nothing for weight training (Very little nutrition advice)

Now, all sports at all levels understand the importance of qucikness and explosiveness....seems like they all do combinations of powerlifiting, olympic lifting, plyometrics in addition to general conditioning. That, and *way* better involvement on nutrition.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

My running partner is a high school teacher, and as we run, we often ruminate on the state of health and fitness today. We are, both of us, ever in the up-hill battle against our weights due to over-indulgence in food (and alcohol in his case). But at least we are fighting the battle, and over the course of a year, our weight fluctuates, but we are often decently fit.

One thing we often talk about is how people today--especially his students--don't appreciate how good it feels to be fitter and healthier. We both know how we feel if we go awhile without a run (or me without some form of lifting). We get lazy and feel like crap. Similarly, we know the upside to eating healthy and know how bad we can feel if we let that slip.

So many people seem use to feeling like crap, they don't understand how much better then could feel.

When his students--the non-athletes--hear him talk about running, they ask him why he would do that. Why would you ever just go running? They don't get it.

One issue he sees is that, when we were in highschool (only like 15 years ago :rolleyes:), athletes were still the cool kids. The soccer team at my school was the hot shit group by senior year, but all the sports teams got major respect. Being an athlete, particularly a star athlete, was big for popularity.

Today, that's not necessarily the case. Sure, the quarter back of the team is big news, but that over-weight, unfit kid slugging back the mountain dews and energy drinks? He's a freakin' badass in Call of Duty, and now he's also big news at school. And so the unathletic, unfit, unhealth person is being seen as a role model and something to aspire to. That seems like a bad trend.

In my day, being a gamer was being a nerd was being uncool. Today, that correlation is fading--if not gone. Not that I have anything against playing video games, but it is about balance, and being that good at such a game often comes at the expense of health and fitness.

I worry about the future generations.

Jaer
    sees less admiration of the bodybuilders in the fitness arenas and more focus on "functional" fitness--crossfit, P90x, Insanity, obstacle runs, even MMA. The trend is less about visible, bulging muscle and more about what you can do, how you perform.

4. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

When I told my friends I trained for marathon they were all like :rolleyes: