1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cuff (clips?) on the bench press barbell?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Gance, May 15, 2015.

1. Gance

Gance Active Member

Hello all, been a hell of a long time. Been through some rough times health wise, and after well over a year I'm slowly getting back into the gym again.

However, the gym I'm at is horribly dangerous. Almost no room between barbells and equipment in the free weight area. Lots of small accidents, and very careless behavior of dipshits walking into moving barbells. Stepping over the knees and legs (with weights) while people are doing benches, and generally careless behavior.

Now the gym is enforcing a new rule to cuff the bench press barbell. Claiming that if someone bumps into barbell, or passing next to the barbell, that it will keep the weights on the bar from falling on top of them.

Now, I've heard of advice that you do NOT want to collar(?) the bar for the bench press, since it allows you to drop the weight in case of emergencies. The staff is even claiming that if people bump into the bar, it's no big deal. Saying that Gold's Gym cuffs the bar, and that anyone will help if there is an accident. I want to be able to drop the weight in case some idiot runs into me (again) and I lose control of the weight as I get higher up again in the future.

This fucking scares me, and going to the gym has scared me for a while, but there really are not other options in the area or price range for me.

I am no pro, and I would really like to know the safety and actual understood rules regarding this. Could someone let me know the lowdown on this?

#1 Gance, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    On one hand, I see what you saying if you WANT to tilt the bar to let the weights slide off in case you get into a jam. But on the other hand, the danger of having the weights slide off when you DON'T want them to is a more likely situation (i.e. if you are struggling to get the weight up and let the bar get off-parallel) If you are benching in a properly set-up rack with safety pins/bars, or in a commercial gym where there will likely be someone to help get the weight off your chest should you fail, I would have no issue with using the collars.

In fact, just the act of leaving the collars off "in case I fail" is already mentally setting yourself up for failure. If I was lifting alone, with no safety pins/bars, and using a weight I was not 100% sure I could handle, I'd probably leave them off. But that would be a VERY rare instance... so I agree with the gym's policy of making sure everything is collared up tightly.

You may want to mention to the management, however, that if they are going to monitor and enforce that rule, they may also want to address some of the other dangerous behaviors you wrote about... in the interest of everyone's safety, of course.

#2 phillydude, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  3. Gance

Gance Active Member

Philly dude, I really appreciate your input and reply.

Yes, I have told them about the other stuff, they just apologies, but the behavior continues and the free weight space is cluttered and so lacking in space that you have no room for even slight failure, and idiots passing between the bar path is an issue of course.

Thanks again for the help. I'm curious if any others have thoughts on this.

4. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Can you go to another gym?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Gance

Gance Active Member

Really wish I could but limited by finances and area...