1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Crouch, touch, pause, engage (redux): gazareth 2011

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gazareth, Feb 7, 2011.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Call me Mr YoYo, I've gotten a bit porky again. I'm still playing rugby, but my calculations, I've been in the gym to hit the weights three or four times since I got back from honeymoon on 7th August 2010 :o

This week I am going to sort my diet out and train at least twice in addition to rugby stuff.

P.S. "Crouch, touch, pause, engage" was my journal title in '08. It's the engagement sequence called by the referee before a rugby scrum. These days I'm playing in the front row of the scrums, so it's something I have to listen to a lot.

2. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

In non-fitness news, I have a new toy. Meet Hilfenhaus, my new (well, new to me) BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sparx88

Sparx88 Active Member

:drool: Awesome Car!

4. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

It really is.. :nod:

5. Morte

Morte Active Member

sexy!

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Car go vroom vroom :nod:

Last week was a write-off :o I'm starting again this week. I will train tonight & Wednesday, plus rugby Tuesday & Thursday. I will eat clean.

7. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

In reference to the above, 2011 has been a write-off so far! I'm trying again now...

Last night I trained for the first time since October. And man could I tell! I got under the squat bar and the movement felt so unnatural. I hope it comes back quickly! I am also incredibly stiff, tight and immobile. I need to do lots of general moving in the next few weeks to get some mobility back.

SQUAT
    high bar, no belt, flatish soles
    8 x 60kg
    5 x 80
    4 x 5 x 90

OH PRESS
    4 x 6 x 40kg

BB ROW
    3 x 6 x 60kg

I'm going to train once more this week and also do some kettlebell stuff at home. Next week I'm on holiday in the Lakes but I'm planning to run Chad Waterbury's 10x3 for fat loss when I come back.

This will see me do 10 sets of 3 in two sessions a week. Session 1 is squats, chin-ups, romanian deadlifts and dips. Session 2 is deadlifts, military press, front squats and bent rows. Rest periods start at 45 seconds and reduce each week for the 4 week mini-cycle. Each session has some HIIT cardio at the end, and the whole thing is supplemented by two KB conditioning workouts a week.

8. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

This year has continued to be a write-off/disgrace/let-down (call it what you want). I did that one training session two weeks ago, and the diet went back off the rails after that and for the whole of our holiday in the Lakes. I will post some photos in the next post.

Anyway, yesterday (Tuesday) marked the start of Attempt To Get Back On The Rails #19239809123. I weighed in at 228 lbs - almost the heaviest I have ever been, albeit carrying more muscle than I was at this weight in April 2006 (when I started my original transformation).

I have some simple goals:
    * Train consistently and eat cleanly for the next three months
    * Lose at least 25 lbs by the end of July
    * Improve my cardiovascular fitness for the next rugby season (start of September)
    * Stop snoring!

This last one is particularly key for me. My wife and I have been sleeping in separate rooms for the last four months because my snoring has been so bad. It is not a cause of tension or anything like that, and we are both perfectly happy. But we would also both like to be able to sleep together again. My snoring always gets worse when I put on weight, so it's a pretty simple recipe to stop it.

Diet plan:
    To start with, I'm going to do what I did with good success in January 2009.
    Breakfast: eggs, wholemeal toast
    Daytime: 2 or 3 protein shakes and peanut butter, fruit snacks
    Dinner: protein & healthy carbs, veggies

It's not optimum but it should be good enough to get me back on a healthy routine, and then I can refine from there. The daytime bit is particularly key - it means I don't have to do any preparation, and that is one of my main stumbling blocks when it comes to eating healthily.

Training plan:
    2 sessions this week where I cover the basics and get moving again, including some cardio.
    Then I will start 10x3 for fat loss, which I enjoyed in 2008. This means two lifting sessions a week, with 4 compound exercises, followed by HIIT. I will do some kettlebell swing stuff on two other days.

Other:
    I will be playing cricket most weekends throughout the summer. When it get consistently warmer I will start cycling to and from work again.

--

I received some sad and startling news yesterday. One of the regular characters at my gym (Oxford University's main gym) was a lecturer at the university. He was also a former IPF powerlifter, having represented Australia in the 70s/80s (not sure which). This guy was 5' 4" or something like that, and had a large waist and stocky build. I'd have described him as short, fat and powerful. Even these days, in his 40s, he could squat getting on for 500 lbs for multiple sets, and pull similar. Last Thursday, he collapsed and died while deadlifting.

It is sad to hear of the passing of someone you know (although I did not know him particularly well), but it's also startling to think that someone could die while doing something like deadlifting. I don't know anything about the guy's lifestyle or diet, but I do know that he didn't seem to do much in the way of cardio and he was also carrying plenty around the waist. On a personal level, it's a wake-up call: being strong is not enough. I do not want to die in my 40s or 50s and leave a widow.

9. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Sorry for that sombre note. Here is a more uplifting post, with some photos from our amazing break last week. We went to the Lake District National Park in North West England for 7 days. We have been there twice before, and it is probably my favourite part of the UK. It's so peaceful and beautiful.

[​IMG]
    This is the road from Howtown up to Martindale (South side of Ullswater). I was taking some shorts of the lake and Howtown (see below), turned around and thought that there was a great shot of the Z4, the twisting road and the sunset to be had.

[​IMG]
    From Martindale, looking down on Howtown and Ullswater. We stayed in the hotel towards the right edge of this photo. This was our third stay there and it's surely my favourite place in the world.

[​IMG]
    We did a quick tour of Thirlmere and from the 'back' side of the lake, you can see some stunning reflections. There are very few boats on this lake and it's well sheltered from wind, so there is little movement of the water.

[​IMG]
    I bought a tripod a few months back and this trip was my first chance to put it to the test. This is a random pier on Ullswater as the light started to soften and the sun started to disappear.

[​IMG]
    On Sunday we climbed up Hallin Fell. The views of the lake are nothing short of spectacular.

[​IMG]
    On Monday, we went to Haweswater. Haweswater is a reservoir and it was created by flooding the village of Mardale. Apparently when there was a drought about 12 years ago, you could see the old village pub through the surface of the water! The road around Haweswater is also good fun for driving - lots of twisty bits but also some straights and good visibility of what is up ahead!

10. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Incredible photos, Gaz. :dreamy:

11. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

beautiful pics. very nice.

12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Thanks guys!

Hit the gym tonight.

Front squats
    2 x 5 x 60kg
    2 x 5 x 70
    So weak

Close grip bench press
    5 x 40kg
    5 x 60
    5 x 65
    5 x 70
    5 x 75

KB swings
    3 x 20 x 16kg

Lat pulldowns
    3 x 8 x whatever

Elliptical
    10 mins HR at 160ish

13. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Decided to run Starting Strength for a few...

Squat
    low bar - no belt
    top sets 3x5x100kg

Close grip bench
    top sets 3x5x80kg

Deadlift
    no belt
    top set 1x5x130kg

14. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Played cricket last night. Will do some kettlebell stuff at home tonight. Tomorrow I will lift. I am hoping to train with a mate from rugby, but I'll be training one way or t'other.

I'm considering entering a GBPF competition on 19th June. I wouldn't be anywhere near my best lifts but it would be a nice little short-term milestone to shoot for.

Attached Files:

15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Squat
    3x5x102.5kg

Military press
    3x5x45kg

Power clean
    4x3x60kg
    Broke the bar...

Track sprints
    6x25m ish
    4x60m ish
    2x100m ish
    Rest period was just time taken to walk back to start

16. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Report on the last few days:

Friday-Sunday I was in London for a stag weekend (bachelor party). I don't drink alcohol often but I've had a few occasions like this in proximity to each other now. Thankfully I have a clear run now for a few months!
    I intended to lift on Monday night but I didn't get home from work until late and I was absolutely wiped out, so I rescheduled until Tuesday. Yesterday, however, I started feeling ill during the work day and by the time I got home I was coughing like Wee Jock Cough-Cough McCough, Scotland's Mr Coughing champion, and had an early night. I still feel shit today, so I'm not sure when the next session will be.

Meanwhile, at the end of last week I decided to sign-up with Tony Gentilcore for online training consultancy. So, he will now write my training programs for the next 3 months. I've paid up and answered all his questions, and now I'm waiting for my program, which I will start on Monday. After the weekend, I decided to go back to good old Mastover for my diet, so I've just spent a few days sorting things out with him and planning a diet. Tonight I'm going to limp around the supermarket and then do some food prep at home so that I can start the diet tomorrow.

So there we go. The next 3 months is Tony Gentilcore + Mastover for some kind of training/diet dream team. I intend to work my arse off. Here are my goals:

* Lose 30lbs in fat by 1st September
    * Improve endurance for rugby season (starts September)
    * Bring strength/power back up
    * Fix ongoing mobility/flexibility/alignment issues with lower legs and arms

Start weight: 228lbs (as at Sunday)
    Waist size: 42.5" (better not go near any Japanese fishermen with harpoons...) :o

17. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Pretty much as soon as I hit "Submit" on the above post, my cough got worse and I came down with a nasty chest infection. I had some time off work and basically wasn't able to do any exercise for about 10 days.

However, I've been on mastover's diet for 10 days now (this is day #11) and it is going well. I am not feeling hungry and the workout drink is delicious! :D

I had a minor setback at the weekend. On Friday I went to a theme park with my friends and the old devil of preparation was waiting for me - there was nothing even remotely diet-friendly on sale and I had a burger for lunch. On Saturday, Laura & I went out for dinner and I ate more than I should have - all healthy stuff but the volume was too high. Finally, on Sunday, we went to my grandparents and I failed to resist various non-diet-friendly foods that were on offer.

Still, that aside I'm pleased with how I've been sticking to the diet and I'm around 4lbs down in 11 days.

Yesterday, I did my first Tony Gentilcore session. He has me doing 3 full body sessions a week (complete with customized dynamic warm-up) plus one "bonus/GPP" day. The latter consists of some mobility circuits at a fair pace, followed by some HIIT and then some LISS/MISS cardio.

Last night, my session included trap bar deadlifts, side-lying windmills, seated cable rows, reverse lunges (just bodyweight for now!), pull throughs, stability ball rollouts and some MISS cardio. Tonight I'm going to do the bonus/GPP day. "Day 2" will be tomorrow or Saturday morning, and I'll do "day 3" on Monday evening. My week has gone a bit out of sync, but hey...

18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Did my "GPP/bonus" day last night which consisted of:

Foam rolling
    4 pairs of mobility exercises done in alternating fashion for 3 sets of each
    11 "spinning bike" intervals of 15s/45s, followed by 15 mins steady state
    Stretching

Weight 224 this morning. Hopefully I'll start to see the pounds falling now that I've got the training in gear.

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Did weights day 2 last night. DB walking lunges/prone plank arm marches, DB bench press/inverted rows, pallof press/face pulls, overhead sledgehammer hits/yoga plex. Fun stuff.

Am currently enjoying steak and eggs for breakfast :D

20. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Day 3 done... bench press/wall hip mobs+quad ext-rot, chin-ups/bwt bulgarians, 1-arm cable row/half-kneeling cable lift w rope, ext rotation/walking spiderman w reach+hip lift, 15 mins MISS.

Weight this morning (day 16 of diet and 1 week of TG training finished) was 221.8 (-6.2).