1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfit

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by dso, Jan 27, 2014.

1. dso

dso Well-Known Member

Does anyone on here do crossfit? I usually have cardio days and lifting days, but id like to amp up the lifting or combine the two. I've done some research on crossfit but a lot of the exercises look confusing and I'm not physically able to do them. ie. pull-ups and muscle ups. Any suggestions on how to make my lifting days more intense? Maybe exercises like push-ups in between sets? I've done supersets before but id like to try something new. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

What's your lifting schedule and timing look like?

One thing I do is "jump rope" between sets during set time. No rope, cause I work out in a basement, but swing arms and jump. Keeps the hear rate up while the muscles rest between lifts.

I also end most workouts with a 5-15 minute intense cardio session, determined during the workout. Might be kettlebell swings, might be burpees, might be heavy bag work. Just something to get me out of breath at the end.

You can also incorporate drop sets and super sets or simply decrease rest time to increase intensity.

If you want to kick your cardio days up a notch, Google "barbell complex." Those will be a switch kick in the lungs.

Jaer
    does not Crossfit, but the ideas behind some of the moves are pretty good...if you know what you are doing.

3. dso

dso Well-Known Member

I just googled barbell complexes and they look awesome. Just going to take a round or two to get the weight right. Thanks a ton for that help. I think I will do them on days I typically do cardio. The more I research crossfit the more it sounds like you should have a coach, train at a box, etc. very confusing and I can't do a pull up let alone a body up. Thanks again that was a huge help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I have a couple issues with Crossfit. In general, in a good box with a good coach, it is great: group motivation and a coach to teach you what to do. Awesome!

But I hear and see all kinds of crazy things about people doing too heavy a weight because they were cheered on or because someone else could do it. Coaches not teaching the safety measures or even proper technique.

I feel comfortable doing the complex moves like cleans, jerks, and snatches because I have put in the time learning squats and deadlifts, training my muscles to know how to support the weight and even how to compensate for an error. If I have a have a bad snatch, I have the muscle awareness to correct, and the knowledge in my own strength--and respect for the complexity of the move--to not let my ego push me on how heavy I am going.

People who are fairly new to lifting go to some (some!) boxes and are suddenly doing weird moves they have never even thought of before, and do not have the base knowledge and strength for the basics.

You get a good box and good coach, it will rock and you can improve a lot and new friends. You get a bad one, and you could really hurt yourself.

Jaer
    read that the people who compete in the Crossfit Games do not train for the games using Crossfit. That alone tells you something!

5. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

I have read several articles on the history of injuries in Crossfit. I respect the discipline and many of the athletes but don't think that it's suited for everyone -- or even many people. It all comes down to what you want to achieve. I included links to two articles below this post.

That said, between sets the idea is to rest and recover -- as hard as it can be. Moving and keeping the blood flowing is probably fine, but pushups may defeat the purpose unless perhaps if you're lifting with your legs for the day. Depending on what your goals are, you might consider adjusting how long you're resting between sets.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/strength-and-power-training/Growing-Pains-CrossFit-Injuries-On-the-Rise.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-robertson/crossfit-rhabdomyolysis_b_3977598.html