1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

critique my plan please

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by raptor, Feb 10, 2008.

1. raptor

raptor Well-Known Member

Stats:
    Weight: 230
    Height: 6`
    BodyFat: ~ 30%​

Goal: BodyFat < 15%

Here's what I'm currently doing, it's getting me results, but fairly slowly:

Cardio:
    M-T-Th-F: 50 minutes low intensity​

Lifting:
    M- Triceps/Chest
    W- Back/Biceps/Shoulders
    F- Legs​

Normal Diet:

Breakfast or 30 minutes after cardio: 1 cup oatmeal and a banana or orange

Lunch: Turkey sandwich (wheat bread, no mayo, slice of cheese)

Afternoon snack/Pre-workout: Low fat yogurt

Post Workout: Whey Protein mixed with milk

Dinner: Chicken breast, some fruit and veggies

Water intake: 125 ounces a day​

I get burned out eating the same things every day so I figured I'd start switching between turkey sandwiches and tuna sandwiches for lunch and fish for dinner instead of chicken. I'm not sure what my exact calorie intake is since I loathe counting calories.

Thanks for looking.

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

How long have you been doing this program? What are results?

3. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

Do you have calorie/macro counts for that? It seems like a very small amount of food for an active male in his mid-20's. What's your current weight?

I also see a real lack of vegetables in your meals, as you only mention them with dinner. Try to snack on some veggies and a protein as an added meal (vegetables add so little calories, they're great add-ins), and add them to your lunch meal, as a dry turkey sandwich with just a slice of cheese and no vegetables sounds deadly dull.

4. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

If that plan is what you are currently following, I'm surprised you aren't burnt out already. Add a lot more veggies to your meals. Try fish for some extra meat sources.

50 minutes LISS each day is a bit unnecessary. Try 10-15 minutes HIIT on your non lifting days. Make sure your lifts are intense and you'll burn plenty enough calories there.

Watch that you're not letting "little bites" slip in here and there, as it could seriously hamper your weight loss. Try to keep written record of what and when you eat, and the macro breakdown for it all.

Search the threads for how to calculate your maintenance calories, then try a 500 calorie defecit. If you eat right, you don't need crazy amounts of cardio.

5. raptor

raptor Well-Known Member

About 3 weeks, I've dropped 5 pounds.

That's the thing, I'm not really active. I've got a desk job so I'm stuck sitting in one spot for 10 hours. I break that up by going to the gym in the afternoons. You're right, I do need more veggies. Those little mini carrots are great for that. I currently weigh about 230 pounds.

I can't do HIIT. I tore some ligaments in my knee a few years ago and it hurts like hell if I run on it. I've got a treadmill at home so I step the incline way up and walk at a brisk pace.

I don't snack on junk food so "little bites" aren't really a problem. My lifts are pretty intense. I just enjoy walking in the mornings, it seems to get my metabolism working all day. If I don't walk I end up not feeling very hungry and don't eat at regular intervals.

Thanks for the replies.:)

6. johnnylamerton

johnnylamerton Well-Known Member

Here's my 2 cents:

Half a scoop of whey before AM cardio, helps from burning off muscle.
    Breakfast should be protein with oatmeal. Egg whites or protein shake. Egg whites would be better so you're not drinking protein shakes all day. Cut the fruit.
    Lunch looks good but should include some veggies.
    PreWorkout should be 1 scoop of whey and some fruit (produce, not canned)
    PostWorkout should be Milk and whey with some gatorade or no fat pop tarts.
    Dinner looks good.

Also, I would throw in a couple days in a row of low carbs, cutting most of them out, every few weeks. This throws the body a curve and will help cut fat quicker.

7. johnnylamerton

And like others have mentioned, eat fish 2-3 times a week. Also, throw in some mixed nuts with your breakfast or lunch. Good fats always help.

8. raptor

raptor Well-Known Member

Thanks Jonny

9. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

Do a BMR breakdown as illustrated in the stickies, It looks like you are way low on kcals to me.

Eat protein at EVERY meal

50 min AM LISS is great for fat loss

don't eat prior to it, you will not burn off muscle if your normal diet is sufficient

Your workout split looks fine to me as long as you are doing the heavy compunds, squats, deads, bench, rows, dips...etc

I would lay out more advice here but honestly... a lot of it is already there in the stickies

10. Thrust

Thrust Active Member

<gasp>...You need to add some healthy fats into your diet. You should probably have 20g-25g of healthy fat at each meal except for PWO.

11. johnnylamerton

Trust me on the half scoop before AM cardio. Starts the metabolism. If you can drink a cup of coffee, do it as well before. A half scoop of protein will not slow down fat burning and is minimal in calories. You'll still burn stored carbs from sleep.