1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Critique My Detailed Food Plan Please

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Doer, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Doer

Doer Active Member

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and here are my stats:

Updatd body fat% using calipers
    Height:5'10"
    Weight:155lbs
    Est. BF%:11%
    Goal:8%
    BMI:22.2
    LBM:138lbs
    LBS to loose to reach 8% goal:7lbs

My goal is to get lean and loose the fat while building muscle. Yes, this is a very hard thing to do, but I'm not trying to get huge, I just want to get fit and look lean.

As far as exercise goes, I run about 2 miles in the morning, burning around 250 calories. I also work out my abs/chest/biceps twice a week. I know, I know, "beach muscles," but all I really want is to look lean.

Meals:
    9:30am: Apple PB&wheat bread Water
    12:00pm: Banana Chicken OJ 8 oz
    3:00 pm: Apple Tuna/20 Pretzels(saltless) Water
    5:00pm: Banana Chicken Water
    8:00pm: Apple oatmeal/1.5 skim milk Water

I also drink 2 other bottles of water in between meals, to make a total of about 100oz.

Result:
    Calores:1715
    Fat:48
    Carbs:166
    Fiber:27
    Sugar:106 (mostly from fruit)
    Protein:148

My calculation of estimated calories came out to about 1800, and with my running that makes it about 2050 baseline. I will up my calorie intake once I reach my desired BF%, which is 10%.

Tell me how to improve.

Ok, heres the new meal plan:

Theres a pic in my avatar, but I messed up tremendously guys. I'm gonna do the 50/30/20 diet. I end up a little high with 34% on protein, but thats ok.

I forgot to add the activity level to the BMR, so really I should be getting like 2500 calories, I'll knotch that down to 2000, which leaves me with:

2500 calories
    50g of fat
    310g Carbohydrates
    150g Protein

This meal gets me around:
    2500 calories
    50g of fat
    275 carbohydrates
    40g of fiber
    180g of protein

Heres an updated one:

9:30 PB Sandwich (I use all natural PB with omega oils in it and whole grain wheat bread)/4 oz grilled chicken/Appple

12:00 2 servings of quaker all natural oatmeal w/ 1 cup of skim milk/Bananna

3:00 Veggie Boca burger with whole grain bun/PB Sandwich, as mentioned for the first meal (I like them :))

5:00 Tuna on whole grain wheat bun/20 saltless pretzels

8:00 Spear of broccoli/8oz grilled chicken

My only problem is I never go to sleep at 10, I always fall asleep towards 12. So I need to add another meal I think at 10. Not sure. If so, I guess I need a little bit of advice on what to take out and replace it with.

#1 Doer, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. Sogy

Sogy Active Member

real quick add protein to the first am meal and reduce the amount of carbs in your last meal. I also would not drink any calories ie OJ....I personally do not mind milk though. To me low fat milk is the only calorie I drin.k. and it is with a few servings of fiber 1 cereal I usually only have a cup a day. Also make sure you are getting your omega oils. Either through diet or sups. Also take out all the fruit and add some good veggies....carrots sweet pots, peppers, and also berries.

Vary your diet(not marcos) as much as possible. You do not want to be eating apples 3 times a day 7 days a week..

3. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

If you're only going to eat 1700 calories a day I certainly wouldn't use any of it on orange juice. You definitely need to add vegetables to your diet i.e. broccoli, grean beans, carrots, etc. Also, what kind of bread is it? I prefer Nature's Own Light bread because it's only 40 calories per slice. I'm guessing the chicken is chicken breasts, but if not it should be. I'm curious what your portion sizes are because I only get about 2000 calories per day and just by looks I eat way more than you do.

4. Doer

Doer Active Member

My fat comes from teh PB, its natural PB with omega in it. The bread is whole wheat bread. I guess I should add some veggies.

5. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

You really need to go back and read the stickies. You only work out you chest, biceps, and abs? You're setting youself up for some serious muscle imbalances. Have you ever seen those guys at the gym who look like hunchbacks? Those are the guys that do way to much chest work and not enough back work.

If you're smart you'll start some type of routine that incorporates every body part (including back and legs). You are doing yourself a great disservice by using such a subpar routine. In fact, no matter what your diet is like, your current routine is holding you back from seeing the results you are probably looking for.

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I would trade most of that fruit for other/better carb sources. (Oh yea. Ditch the pretzels...they are just a pile of flour.)
    Oats, potatoes, sweet potatoes, you know, complex carbs....
    Get veggies in there.

As far as the training, you need way more balance. Legs? Back? Triceps? Shoulders? You want to do some homework there....

As far as worrying about getting huge....c'mon man, guys kill to add 10-12 pounds of lean muscle in a year....you are not suddenly going to get huge...

#6 digitalnebula, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  7. Doer

Doer Active Member

Yeah, I just realized that 80% of my carbs are coming from the fruit, no wonder why I'm so darn hungry. I'll throw in some broccoli and some other "better" complex carbs.

I do realize I excused my back and leg muscles, however I do run and that builds leg muscle, to a point. Do you think running is good enough to build leg muscle? Again, I just want to look tone. I want my entire body to be tone, and my goal is 10% BF.

8. Caruthias

Caruthias Well-Known Member

No. Look at distance runners. Do they have big leg muscles? Now, look at sprinters - do they? Yeah, they do, but that's often a mixture of explosive sprint work and weight lifting.

Add in leg and back work. It's not about being "tone," it's about preventing, as mentioned, huge muscle imbalances.

Not to mention that your legs have your body's biggest muscles - working them burns way, way more calories than your smaller muscles, like your biceps. If you want to be tone then heavy compound exercises are some of the best things you can do.

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

1715 calories is about enough to maintain a body weight of 115 pounds. I assume you'd like to be a little heavier than this. Low body fat percentages look quite different on people with different BMIs. At your weight, you might not be happy with how you look at 10% body fat. I think you could decrease your body fat percentage without cutting your calories below 2000.

Vegetables are good, as everyone else mentioned. Apples and bananas are okay, but oranges and berries can give you some additional nutrients, and whole grains and yams would be a nice addition as well. Do you get any calcium?

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

At 5'10" 155, you are still trying to lean out?

You can't have much fat at that weight. You are probably really lacking enough muscle to show definition, not carrying too much fat. I would not recommend caloric restrictions at all. In fact, the opposite. You need to add some quality lean mass.

And no, as others have told you, running will not build up your legs.

You need to spend a lot of time lifting with your legs and back, because those are the two biggest muscle groups in the body, and working them will cause large hormonal responses that will make the rest of your program much more effective in both leaning you out and adding muscle. And as has been mentioned before, benching without offsetting back movements is a recipe for shoulder problems.

I'm guessing by your post that you are teens or young 20s? If I'm wrong, I apologize, but if I'm correct, you are in prime-time for making body changes for the good with all the hormones you've got right now. Cutting calories too much when you are already lean negates all of that, and you will wish you had ate/exercised smarter later.

Please don't be another "concentration camp abs" guy when you get done. I think you'll be much happier with the result if you are lean with a bit of muscle as well. And I'm not talking about getting huge, just healthy looking.

But in the end it's your call. Whatever you do, I recommend reading the stickies in the beginner forum and putting together a more well rounded diet and exercise plan.

11. Flows

Flows Active Member

We need pics to really help this guy.

12. Doer

Doer Active Member

New plan in orginal post

#12 Doer, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  13. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Unless you want to get physically smaller you'll be fine at 2500 calories and a good lifting program. But abs, chest and biceps won't cut it. You need to include back, shoulders, triceps and legs to increase your overall muscle mass enough to lean out.

Is that a current pic in avatar? It looks a lot more like 9-12% than 14%. :confused:

14. Doer

Doer Active Member

Yeah, well, you know them online calculators :lol:

I made a new plan that includes 2500 calories. I'll do legs and back as well. Your right that it will help tremendously, thanks for the tip.