1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a meal plan.

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by lizzie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. lizzie

lizzie Active Member

Hey guys. So, I've learned a ton from this site over the last few years and have been able to apply a lot I have learned with a partner that was very dedicated to fitness and health. Unfortunately, I have not been able to have the help and support of that person. Thus loosing my own determination and some of the information around nutrition and meal planning. Especially about macros, well, balancing the macros in meals that I can put variety on.

I've been trying and trying to get my eating ways back on track. I mean, I understand what is bad for me and why and can avoid them. But for some reason I can't get back to planning proper meals that have the right amount of everything. All i have been able to do lately(past year) is just cut out as many refined/processed foods as possible. It's tough, but I have been able to moderate the amounts. And getting better day by day to make even better choices. However, I understand that just by cutting the bad stuff out isn't going to solve my problem. I still need to build a balanced diet. Which is why I am posting. I have been reading and reading, and I understand what macros are and how/why they work. What I'm having issues with is building a meal plan that can give me variety and the right amount of macros for weight loss. Can anyone share with me a few good meal daily meal plans that I can use.

My exercise isn't an issue at the moment. I run every other day(sometimes a few days n a row, depending on weather). I swim, play tennis, hike, and do exercises with my body weight. I will occasionally pick up the weights(my fave, I love my weights, but I've lost a lot of strength over the past 2 years :( and am trying to get back to lifting again) But at the moment, I really need to focus on my eating.

So , please. This girl is listening and ready to go shopping for some yummy breakfast and dinner ideas. ( those tend to be difficult for me) I love to snack, I got that down.

ps. I am a chef and love to get creative. So any/all ideas and suggestion are going to be fully appreciated.
    pps. I eat fruit smoothies with whey protean powder on days that I do heavy exercise. Just thought I'd add that.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

2. LAGymRat

LAGymRat Active Member

Outside of hiring a nutritionist like Mastover, my best advice would be to research exactly how many calories you are currently burning a day given your height/weight/activity level (you can find tons of google calcs that do this).

From there, put together a spreadsheet or use an online food tracker like loseit.com to plan your week in advance (if you don't plan ahead you will fail). Aim for a weekly deficit of around 4000-7000 calories (any experts may correct me on this), which should put you in line to lose around 1-2lbs a week (3600 calories = 1lb). Focus on eating lean meats, egg whites, brown rice, sweet potatoes and tons of veggies. You can get your fats from nuts and oils like olive or flax seed.

A pretty common macro break down is 40% protein / 40% carbs / 20% healthy fats, however you may want to tilt that balance with more protein and less carbs.

To be honest, being a chef may almost work against you at times because you might be more inclined to liven up your foods by adding salts, oils, butter and other unhealthy ingredients. Don't do it! When trying to cut down, simpler is always better and I promise you will grow accustomed to the taste of plain food.

3. LAGymRat

LAGymRat Active Member

Oh yeah, two more quick things:

Fruit smoothies are not always as healthy as most people believe. IMO, fruit is a candy that should only be consumed first thing in the morning, right after a workout or during a cheat meal. Even then it shouldn't be much, because it just ends up being a lot of sugar and carbs that aren't as useful as the ones you would get in a bowl of veggies.

Secondly, there is an awesome book called Muscle Chow. It is full of healthy recipes and written for people who follow a bodybuilders diet. It's the only book on the market that I've found that focuses on easy, high protein recipes that aren't loaded with salty or sugary ingredients. Might be worth your time to check it out :)

4. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

as mentioned above.. you must...

1. Determine your BMR
    2. Multiply it by your activity level - this will let you know how many calories you need per day/week to maintain your weight
    3. Create a deficit of 4,000-7,000 calories per week. (this is a proper deficit to lose 1-2 lbs a week). Just a side note.. you will need to adjust this after a few weeks and you can better gauge your progress
    4. Once you know how many calories you are suppose to be consuming a day, apply it to a macro split. i personally feel that the 40p/40c/20f split is where everyone should start their cut.. but everyone will have a different take on this
    5. Monitor your weight to see how many lbs you're losing per week and make adjustments
    6. Start a journal and stay motivated

i know you had mentioned that you've lurked for a few years, but i whole heartily recommend reading over the beginner threads as there is a crap load of information in there! (including tips on nutrition)

GL!