1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Creatine

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by joe84, Dec 11, 2006.

1. joe84

joe84 Active Member

I've been lifting now for a couple of months, getting great gains in size & power. My diet is in good order, macros 40:40:20. 8 weeks ago I started using a Protein/Carb/Fat/creatine blend product (Maximuscle Cyclone) for PWO shakes & i think this has added to my gains. So far I've been using a 3-day split body part lifting program.

In the new year I'm hoping to add a Creatine Monohydrate supplement to my diet as I've had benefits from this before. I just read a good article on BB.com:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness2.htm
    My stats are 210lbs & 16% BF, so I'm thinking about a 12 week program like:

Week 1: 25g per day (Loading)
    Weeks 2-12: 5g per day (Maintenance)

At the same time I'm thinking about switching to a 3-day full body workout (just for a change!) but I've just read that this type of workout might be suitable with creatine. So my questions are:

1) Should I switch to just a simple whey protein supplement while taking creatine instead of a blend?
    2) What is the optimum workout to do while using creatine?
    3) When's the best time to take creatine for workouts: pre or post. Can it be taken at the same time as my protein (PWO)?
    4) Can anyone recommend some good products?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice:tu:

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    If there's a reason to do so, I don't know it. I'd stick with whatever you like.

Based on Jeremy's article I'd say a training program with moderate-high intensity and moderate-high volume. As long as you're feeling tired-exhausted at the end of your session, you should be fine.

I don't know that there's an optimum time to take it. I'd just stay consistent and keep taking the supplement at around the same time each day.

From comments posted on this board I decided to use Beverly International's Creatine Select and have been very pleased with it. :tu:

3. joe84

joe84 Active Member

Thanks for your advice M@ :tucool:

The reason I suggested changing my current supplement was that it already contains a % of creatine monohydrate, bit I noticed most people on JSF take their protein & creatine individually. Is it any less effective taking creatine as a part of an over all blend. Here's a breakdown of my current supplement:

1200g Tub:
    Daily:
    Protein: 60g
    Carb: 42g
    Fat: 10g

Overall Other Ingredients:
    Whey Protein: 60g
    Dextrose: 40g
    Creatine Monohydrate: 10g
    Glutamine: 10g

This is a very good quality product, but it probably dosen't contain enough creatine (as I want). So if I take my creatine individually than should I take another protein supplement which doesn't contain any creatine?

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    If you want to drop down to a maintainence level of 5g/day then I guess you'd need to switch your protein supp, but if you're getting 10g from the protein powder then I really wouldn't bother taking any additional Creatine. I wouldn't worry about loading it either since it's already been a part of your nutrition program.

I take Creatine as a separate supplement because it isn't present in my protein powder (Nitrean). :nod:

5. joe84

joe84 Active Member

From reading the ingredients it seems as though there is only 10g of creatine in the entire 1200g tub, does that sound correct? If so that's effectively nothing & I would need more right?

6. joe84

joe84 Active Member

No sorry, I'm wrong I just double checked the website. It is 10g of Creatine per daily serving. So 10g should be enough for now. :tu:

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    No, that sounds really odd. It's effectively nothing. The amounts should be based on a serving size and it should tell you how much that serving size is (e.g. 1-Scoop (30g)). Not sure what the labeling guidelines are in Ireland, though. :confused:

Yup! :nod:

8. TylerGred

TylerGred Well-Known Member

I take 10g a day, but I split it up into 2.5 grams and drink it 4 times a day...

Add a ratio of 2:1 BCAA/Creatine and it'll do wonders...

... for me anyway...

9. joe84

joe84 Active Member

Why 4 times a day? just to keep yourself topped off? What do you mix with the creatine? I must do some research on BCAA's, they seem to be effective from what I've heard....