1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Creatine and Vomiting?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by AndrewD52, May 22, 2007.

1. AndrewD52

AndrewD52 Active Member

Hey, I'm new to all of this work out stuff, just starting this week. Anyway, I took Creatine for the first time today, (5g after breakfast) and then did my workouts (biceps, triceps, abdominal, and 30 minutes on the bike) About an hour and a half after taking the creatine i started to not feel so great, about thirty minutes after then I threw up once, all of my breakfast and I would assume the creatine too. but seconds after vomiting I felt normal again. Has anyone ever heard of this or expirenced this before?

2. tssparky

tssparky Active Member

How soon did you have the shake before you worked out?

Were you breathing normally?

I've had sessions (a long time ago) where I wouldn't inhale and exhale properly, and I'd get sick, puke, then feel like nothing happened. You might have pushed too hard, perhaps.

I guess I'm wondering if the creatine was the problem, or if it's independent of the creatine.

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Training can induce nauseau. Give us a timeline.

What was your PWO nutrition?
    Were you still exercising when you felt nauseous?
    How long after you were done exercising did you throw up?
    Did you eat anything in the meantime?

If your lactate levels rise or your blood sugar drops too quickly, you will get nauseous.

#3 chicanerous, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  4. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Try again, but this time, have your creatine with a post-workout shake comprised of sugars and proteins. (If you're not having a PWO shake, you shouldn't be taking creatine, imho)

5. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

It is possible that creatine caused your nausea, but not highly likely. I think Tennis made a sound recommendation.

One more thing, do you have any pre-existing health concerns?

Chris

6. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

I don't think you can be a serious athlete, particularly any sort of weightlifter, and not either puke or come close to puking in the gym at least once.

There are so many things that can cause this, with the most common simply being eating too much or too little before working out, or simply not allowing enough time to digest.

Other obvious question: How much water were you drinking? You should be drinking a lot anyways, especially around your training, but creatine uses water to help with cell volumization and so forth. Not drinking enough with it could easily make you feel....not so hot.

7. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

What's the brand? With me, I had trouble with GNC brand creatine. With more quality creatine, the problems went away.

8. AndrewD52

AndrewD52 Active Member

Ok, to answer eveyones questions:

This is my first official day of working out, I have never worked out before this, I'm about 5'11'' and 170 pounds, with a bit of a stomach.

I don't have lots of strength due to my never working out before, I did two sets of 15 rep of bench pressing (70 lbs barbell) and then I did 15 curls with a barbell (30 lbs) with my back against a wall, and then I did 60 crunchs, in two sets of 30. After this I went out on my Bike for 20 - 25 minutes, biking at regular and hard paces.

I Ate breakfast (a bowl of cereal and skim milk) and then had the 5 g of Creatine mixed with water (as directed on the container) and then started the work out abotu 5 minutes later.

The nausia started about 5 or 10 minutes after I came back from the bike ride, then it got worse over about a 20 minutes span, untill I puked.

I didn't eat anything else during or after the workout.

I've had no other pre-existing health issues.

I drank the water with the creatine, probably about 2 cups (500ml) and probably about a litre once I got back

The Brand is "Exact" it's of pharmaceutical grade. I bought it at my grocery store. My friend has been on it for about two weeks now and has had no problems.

I was fairly active anyway, before I decided to get into weightlifting. Mostly with Cardio based activity though, like hockey.

I think that's all of the questions, if that helps at all.

9. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

If this was your first "official" day of working out, why are you taking creatine? You also began working out 5 minutes after eating a bowl of cereal and milk? This is the most likely culprit. I would read up on the stickies first. I would not recommend anyone to use supplements, if they are new to training, unless they have a good grasp on nutrition first. A good multi and possibly fish oil would be all that's necessary at this juncture.

10. andysutils

andysutils Active Member

whats a PWO shake??

11. Flipper405

Flipper405 Active Member

PostWorkOut Shake

12. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

read the stickies in the beginner forum.

13. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

If I eat 45min or less before any workout (whole food meal that is) I'm gonna get pretty close to puking :doh:

14. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Need more time between your meal and your workout. Agree with Mastover...drop the creatine and dial in your nutrition and your workouts before using the creatine.

Example...today I ate lunch at 11:30 and my workout started at 12:30.