1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Couple questions.

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by jHof, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jHof

jHof Active Member

I did some searches and didn't find any answers/clues. Sorry if this is repeat questions.

If I'm just slightly over-weight, would I just get on a "Bulking" routine? The extra fat will still come off even during a "bulking" routine?

Second, how long do you give yourself when you adjust your diet or adjust your workout to see results?

Thanks for your input. These forums rock! I'm get'n close to having all my ducks in a row on eating better and working out regularly. (I've always worked out off and on, just never a good knowledgeable routine.) Eating right will be the hard part, I'm always on the run or stuck at school.

2. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

How much is slightly overweight?

And yes it can do, depends on how good your nutrition is! :)

I usually change things when they are not working. So say if my measurements don't change, I will give it a week, then if no change in size, time for a change of diet is in order.

3. jHof

jHof Active Member

I'm 28, 5'10.5", @ 187lbs. People say I don't look overweight with cloths on but, I'm pretty "soft/round" and weak looking. 187lbs is probably a good weight, if it were muscle :)

4. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

So many factors

There are so many factors that come into play when you ask how long it should take to see change...

1. I don't think you are over weight. You might be undermuscled.

2. Genetics. Some people lift for years (and work hard) and never see a change. I look at weights and drop body fat (blessed- but I have been training really hard for 28 years).

3. How hard do you work? Remember that perspective is huge here. You might not be working as hard as you think you are (no offense).
    Major muscle group work (moving several joints at once) is all I ever do. More bang for the buck.

4. Who's your training partner? Sounds wierd- but the most gains I ever made the fastest was when I was working out with a guy who was on steroids. I didn't know it at the time... I figured that out later. But- boy was his intensity was contagious. I don't suggest this about the drugs. I only mean that a training partner can be a huge help.

5. Nutrition is huge. It is tough to get on the right road on this. After eating junk for years, your body craves it. I have found that getting clean nutritionally makes me crave healthy food. I don't even have to think about it any more. I just want the brown rice, salad and chicken breast because it makes me feel good. I admit- I like chocolate ice cream afterwards some days, but I don't crave it. It's just a nice treat.

6. Supplements: I only take a multi and Glucose amine sulfate on a regular basis. Both come from a health food store. The multi fills my nutritional needs where I have missed in my eating so I don't have cravings. The GAS helps rebuild connective tissue: fascia, ligaments, tendons and cartiledge- all can be compromised with intense strength training. Other than that, I eat real food- no shakes, no bars, no gimics.

7. More nutrition: Food combining is important. Glycemic index of whatever I put into my stomach at the same time makes a huge difference to me. I never eat a white potatoes, white rice or white bread. And the sweet, brown and whole wheta substitutes, I never eat without a protein along side.

8. History- how many crash diets have you been on? This will kill your metabolism. Results will be slower. How many times have you been cut before? Your body recognizes that and goes back more easily later. How many times have you bulked up? It's easier the second, third, 4th times...

Best of luck...:bb:

#4 Dr.Jen, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. jHof

jHof Active Member

Thanks for your response Dr.Jen

1) Under muscled sounds about right.

2) I have a mesomorph body type, I don't believe I'll have to much trouble once I get into good eating and a solid workout routine.

3) My routines at the small gym my apartment complex has are pretty light, I think. I've been doing them for a few months now and would like to get more serious. Looking into getting a few more Dumbells.

4) Might be able to convince my roommate, I'll see. But, yea, I agree that having someone else to work with can motivate/push you to do more than you wouldn't normally (So long as you don't over do it.)

5) Indeed. This is something I want to change. I have a pretty stern mind over stomach if I know something is good for me. My diet for the last many years has been pretty bad. I've been going to college the last 6 years (6 months to go.) When I start college I was 155lbs, now I'm 187.

I'm starting to collect the diet info I'll need to get started. My main concern is that I'm goign to be at school working till very late at night for the next 6 months (masters degree.) So I'll really need to plan/make my meals a head of time and ones that can travel with me. (They do have a small fridge.)

6/7) All that is pretty new to me. Along with regular healthy food diet I'll probably stick with a Whey protein shake and a multi-vitamin and see how that holds up. The other stuff I'll keep looking into, thanks for mentioning.

8) I've only been on a diet once and it was more of a starvation diet. I've never Cut before, I've always had an average build with some "roundness"

One of the main things I'm trying to figure out is if I need to begin with "Bulking" or "Cutting"?

Ideally I'd like to get rid of the roundness so that seems like I should be "cutting". But, if I were to cut, I'd have barely any muscle to show for it. So then it seems like I should be "Bulking". But if I'm just bulking, then I'm not going to loose that roundness?

I should get some pics up, probably easier for people to assess my situation.

Thanks for anymore input you can offer!

#5 jHof, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007