1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Could you check my form for SS exercises?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Gance, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Gance

Gance Active Member

Ok, finally took the videos of each of the five exercises and they are up on youtube for a bit. I am slowly advancing, but form is becoming more and more important as I go up in weight so I need to make sure I'm doing things RIGHT.

Here are videos of each of the included exercises. If a few of you have a couple of minutes could you let me know if I'm doing things correctly or where I can improve?

Squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tuJuMkfFY

(Back view to check bar position easier)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KixvrDvl8l4

Press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZxdLyrtIs

Power Clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRiZGl7ld5U

Bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5wrxKTR5o

Deadlift (only the warmup recorded right... I had to use a free space since two trainers were chatting it up with the cages...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47uCpY9Rgos

Thanks to anyone who is able to help me improve or fix my mistakes. I'm still making progress and after using microloading I've continued to add 5 more pounds this week to almost everything with no more stalls... yet.

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I will comment on Shoulder press, don't straighten arms at top, keep a slight bend in elbows and lower slower. Do not pause in the extended or flexed positions, the movement is continuous. The girl in background has some interesting moves. :tucool:

3. goonie

goonie Active Member

Good job getting all these videos together. I think your form looks on track for the most part. A few comments, all of which are specific at least in some regard to the form taught from Starting Strength.

Squat:

Looks like you'd benefit from the classic "shove your knees out" cue. This should help put a little hip drive into your squat, which will come in handy as the bar keeps getting heavier.

A work in progress on some reps, but it's noticable what she's trying to achieve.

And another with a good example of some hip drive. Notice he's not squatting with "all quad", and the awesome music which of course helps. ;)

Standing Press:

You've simply got to post this video over at StrengthMill to get Mark's comments on what in the hell that woman behind you was doing. :lol:

You're letting your wrists relax at the bottom, which is going to cause a problem as the weight gets heavier. Good job pushing your body through the press. I'd keep locking out your reps just the way you're doing them.

Power Clean:

See Gance, nobody was killed. :)

Review the part in the book about hitting your upper thighs at the jumping positition. If you train yourself to do this consistently from the beginning, things will fall into place.

Keep working from the hang, or elevate the bar to standard height from blocks. Pulling from an artificial position from the floor which will never be duplicated in "regular" lifting will only throw you out of position, and screw up timing.

Bench Press:

Looks good. Make sure your shoulders aren't shrugging forward and you're fine.

Deadlift:

Same comments about elevating the bar. Not much to determine on form due to the weight being so light -- looks like a weight you could manage with all arms.

4. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

I honestly have never seen anyone put their put out like that on a squat. Have I been doing it all wrong!?

5. Gance

Gance Active Member

Thanks Rtestes and Goonie.

As for the "shove your knees out" what exactly does that mean? Does it mean I need a wider stance? Does it mean my knees should go past my toes? (I've been trying to keep them from going past actually) I guess I'm still lacking in an understanding of using muscles with hip drive, and avoiding "all quad" situations maybe.

As for the woman in the background, she's 50+ and quite fit; however, I always see her doing and teaching some very ODD exercises. She was one of the personal trainers. Over all I see many trainers teaching some... interesting things. Whatever works for her I figure. I'm still just trying to learn the basics!

I'll drop some weights underneath the dead and clean next time. It's a pain for the clean because they are hex weights and lowering them down is a PAIN since they aren't rounded. Can't be avoided though. Will be a long time before I can clean 135 pounds and not worry about the extra support. As for the deadlift, I'm deadlifting well over 135 so I'm using the regular 45 pound weights so it is the correct distance off the floor. That video got messed up when the camera fell back and pointed up at the ceiling, the result being my only video of my deadlift is one of the warm ups (the reason for the very light weight, this was my third warmup set)

As for that damn power clean... yeah, I'm surprised I having had any horrible accidents or killed anyone. While I still have noticable problems, I've come a long way and my wrist is no longer messed up. I'm still confused on the where and how to get it up to touch my thigh before jumping or such. The press and power clean are hard for me, followed by the squat. The press I have problems resting it on my chest. It puts pressure on my wrists and I can't get my elbows up, even though I can with the Power Clean. Something is messed up but I don't know what. All are progressing and going up in weight every exercise routine though... so far.

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

that woman in the press video is intense!! :lol: i'm guessing she's a dancer. if not that's just wild!

oh and goonie's journal is a GREAT place to get form tips.

:lol: put their put out.

7. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

No, it means that when you squat down (and up) you should think about shoving your knees out to the side as though you want to touch the wall to your left and your right. This ensures that your knees and hips break simultaneously and that you use your glutes and the hip drive properly. That way you will be sitting down between your legs, rather than back. It helped me tremendously.

8. Gance

Gance Active Member

Did NOT know this! I'll have to put this in my put out process. ~ (Sorry now that I read that it is fun to say)

9. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:lol: another guy trying to put out.

on the knees out thing..... u're gonna totally concentrate on it and another aspect of ur squat form will go to shit. but eventually u'll get it all tied in. there is just so much to think about while learning to properly squat. :tucool:

10. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Really? I hadn't noticed. :nope:

11. Gance

Gance Active Member

Just did a no weight squat at home with pushing my knees out and straight. I could feel the difference! I'm very curious about trying this Friday...

12. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

goonie has a journal?

13. shuu

shuu Active Member

How much are you squatting?

14. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

he's said he should and i highly agree cuz he's :dreamy:, therefore i tend to stalk him around the forums requesting one.

15. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to start one for him.

16. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

damn it. :o

put = butt :p

17. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

So you also want to put out the put out when you're going down, too?

18. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Here's what I focus on:

1) Keep weight on my heels or - at most - the middle of my foot, never the front of my foot
    2) Tighten my abs
    2) Push my knees out to the side and squat down - like I said, the idea is more squatting down between my legs than sitting back (which is the advice often given when it comes to proper squat form)

My butt ends up wherever it ends up.

19. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Thanks j dub!

20. Gance

Gance Active Member

Ah, interesting list here.