1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Could CLA cause weight gain?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Rosalinda, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Rosalinda

Rosalinda Active Member

I have been using CLA, 3600 mg a day for about 8 weeks now. I train with weights 2 to 3x a week. I know it is not supposed to change one's weight, just the composition, less fat more muscle.
    But to my greatest disapointment I gained 4 pounds :eek: while eating less (CLA decreases my appetite). Then I got so mad that I wanted to throw the scale out of the window (I didn't).

Could the CLA actually cause a weight gain? Should I stop using the CLA?

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Well, it's a fat, so in theory it should be factored into your calories. As to gaining 4 lbs, with the small amount you are taking (~40 cals worth) I doubt it.

How are measurements/clothes fit going? That's the real key as weight might actually go up with a recomposition if you are shedding a bit of fat and adding a bit of muscle. But you'd still have to be in caloric surplus.

3. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

CLA is a macronutrient (fat). The only way it would make you gain weight is if you consumed too much of it. Have you been tracking your calories?

4. Rosalinda

Rosalinda Active Member

Yes, I have been tracking my calories. 1.400 to 1.600 calories a day. I could go lower 900 to 1300, but that method has proved counteractive in the past.
    I do not need a lot of calories, because I am like a Honda: fuel efficient.

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I'd recommend not dropping that low on calories as well.

Are you doing any kind of training? If so, can you give us details?

6. Rosalinda

Rosalinda Active Member

I am very busy (and not a pro) so I work out at home with DVDs from the FIRM series. This dvd's all include aerobics and weight training, like jumping jacks, steps on a 14 inch high bench with 2 12 pound dumbulls on shoulders, squats with heavy weights, lunges with weights, push ups, arm curls with weights, dumbell flys, rows and a bunch of other exercises that I forgot the names for all other bodyparts. I alternate between free weights and heavy cord resistance training.
    I guess I must have at least put on some muscle at least on my lower body, because believe it or not: I can squat a few times with my 75 kilo husband on my back (no kidding ;)). My flexibility also increased.
    When I have time I also go on a 5 kilometer jog, accompanied by my GSD.

7. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

I took CLA on a regular basis for many months and had no weight gain whatsoever. Actually, I got quite frustrated because it changed my shape quite a bit. Enough so that people were coming up to me saying "wow, you lost alot of weight" when in fact, I hadn't lost a pound. I mean like they say, everyone is made up differently so it will affect each of us differently.