1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Costs for fitness (VO2max)/hydrostatic body fat testing?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Silver, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

So the university lab offers fitness and hydrostatic body fat testing.

Hydrostatic testing is about $30 on its own and the fitness testing is $125. I think they have a combined special for $150. Woo, woo, $5 savings.

The fitness test apparently will give me max heartrate, anaerobic threshold (same as lactate threshold, I believe), and VO2max.

Do these prices sound reasonable? I have no basis for comparison, so I don't really know...or if it's easy enough to do the fitness testing alone.

2. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Really for that kind of coin, why not just buy Accufitness calipers for around $30 and learn to do it as often as you like. Then get your self a polar F11 and measure VO2 max whenever you want. As an added bonus you can monitor HR. Combine that info with VO2 max you can have all sorts of fun.

Plus you get a watch ;)

A little more cash up front, but pays for itself down the road with repeated use. HR monitoring keeps you honest during cardio and shows you when to back off as well.

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

For practical purposes they are the same.

4. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

$30 for hydro isn't a bad price.

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks G, I actually have a Time HRM right now...but I'm planning on replacing it with a much fancier Polar S625X (because of the whole triathlon thing). This one does all that OwnIndex stuff and what not...and you make a good point regarding the prediction of VO2max in that regard...I hadn't really thought of it that way. I guess I was thinking that an "official" test would somehow be better than the Polar estimate, but I have no basis for that.

Thanks, good to know. Knowing my LT will be helpful for proper tri training...although I think I can figure it out without the test...I think.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may go just for the hydro...get a "real" BF% indicator over and above measurements/BI methods. Might pick up calipres at some point as well...that way I'll know how far off I am when I start using them :lol:

6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    That's actually REALLY cheap for hydro...

7. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

hehe, and it's CDN dollars to boot ;)

8. FBChick

FBChick Active Member

It's actually pretty similar to what the university around here charges. I beleive I paid about $35 for mine.

9. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

Get some calipers and go for the hydro.

As for VO2max testing, you're at a university. I know at mine there's always a constant stream of volunteers needed to participate in various tests, a lot of which involve VO2max tests.

Last year back home I saw an advert for a study. I called, volunteered and had a VO2max test on some really flashy equipment :)

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Good call, I'll have to keep an eye out for fitness studies.

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh the official test is DEFINITELY more accurate than the Polar. It's really good to get the official test as a baseline. Then you can see how the Polar compares for you - you might have to make an adjustment of activity level.

The Polar is reasonably good, but if you can get the real VO2max test for cheap (and in triathlon you might consider getting it for cycling and running - they will come out a little different) you are that much ahead.

If I knew where I could get a convenient accurate VO2max/LT test I'd do it a couple times a year at least.

What I do instead is use the Polar and back that up with exercise performance based tests like the Cooper test.

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks Zen. Something to think about, for sure...

13. lostmind

lostmind Well-Known Member

You know silver, that's a pretty cool idea. I might consider going... would be interesting!

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

You bet:

Fitness Testing - J.M. Buchanan Exercise Science Lab (downstairs) Call 822-4356