1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Costco - Not all that its cracked up to be for a single guy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by carsonstreet, Aug 11, 2008.

1. carsonstreet

carsonstreet Active Member

I recently purchased a Costco membership and I am disapointed with the prices on the food I purchase most.

Example.

5 lb Frozen Chicken - 2.5$ per lb @ costco

3lb of Frozen Salmon - 5.80 per lb @ costco

Stip Steak -6.99 per lb

Dozen Eggs - 1.20 per dozen

Gallon of Skim Milk -3.42 @ costco

There is really no savings, and they do not sell brown rice!
    Anyone else feel that Costco's prices are no longer competitve with local grocery stores?

2. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

At my local Costco, skim milk is $2.69 per gallon and at the store it is $3.99.

Steaks are roughly $6-7 per lb at Costco, and $8 per lb at the store.

Eggs are way cheaper, too but you have to buy 3 dozen.

3. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Yes, my wife and I let our membership lapse last year because we were finding that it really did not make sense to travel the distance to get to COSTCO to then purchase groceries at what came out to a very minimal discount. Once we have kids I can see a place like COSTCO being worth the membership in terms of savings, but right now it makes more dollars and sense to just shop at the couple local grocery stores within 1 mile of our house.

4. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Wow- you've got no room for complaint.

I've marked the prices at my local discounter/big box store in the Twin Cities for comparison.

As far as rice- I imagine you've seen the stories about the rice shortage? It's not a problem with just Costco: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/24/business/fi-rice24

5. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

My seemingly innocuous yet simmering volcanic bitch with Costco up here is that they don't take Mastercard or Visa. They like cash only.

The dorks.

I use my card for just about everything because it's an Airmiles card.

On trips to Costco I either buy absolutely nothing or I'm in for a couple of hundred bucks.....no happy medium.

And....they don't have designated express checkouts.

( For the times I only have 2 one-hundred dollar items).

Why they don't like credit cards I don't know....but it's a pain in the posterior sanitation fissure.

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I thought I heard they had an exclusive with AmEx. Which is about the same as taking nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Sam's only takes MC due to an exclusive deal. They didn't use to take anything due to the fees charged by credit card companies for processing.

Processing fees, as I mentioned above. Sam's even used to allow you to do PIN transactions before they started taking Mastercard (like Check Cards). The reason why is that PIN transactions don't have the % processing fees like you get on the merchant card networks.

7. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I went today and checked. My Costco is cheaper than the supermarkets around here, at least for the stuff I buy there. I always get my eggs, chicken, ground beef, steaks, and almonds there. It's a lot cheaper for me.

8. steeletkd

steeletkd Well-Known Member

weird. my Sam's took my Visa the other day. Debit card no less (though it went through like a cc)

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Did you put in a PIN? That's a whole different network and it works (and Sam's doesn't have to pay a fee).

Gas pumps take Visa and are a different deal, but they'll reject Visa inside as far as I know (and I occasionally pull out and swipe the wrong card by accident, so I've seen it happen).

10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, it depends how you shop.

If you spend a lot of time shopping, and carefully watch your sale flyers, you can get your groceries for much cheaper than what Costco sells them for. But if you only have the time to pick up all of your groceries from the same spot on the same day, Costco is a better bet in the long run.

I'm in Canada, so some of the prices are different.

This is what I typically pay:
    $1/lb for fresh whole chicken $3/lb for fresh boneless skinless breasts
    $4.00/lb for frozen salmon fillets (or $1/lb for whole frozen salmon)
    $6.99/lb for t-bones (I don't know how much a strip steak is)
    $2.99 for 4 litres of milk
    $1.77 for a dozen eggs

I'm pretty sure at Costco, the milk is around $4.39 and the eggs are maybe $2.29, so there's a significant savings I get from NOT buying from Costco. Not sure about the rest, but I know I save a lot on cheese and peanut butter in the regular stores as compared to Costco.

11. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Last year at Costco, I saved $1250, and that's including the cost of the membership. I also share my membership with a friend, which contributes to my rebate.

I actually keep track of everything I buy at Costco and compare it with the grocery store equivalent. That's how I know these numbers.

This is an example from June, where I saved about $67:

Code:
    Date          Item                Cost    Qty   Unit      Grocery  Savings

6-Jun-08      Chicken Breast      $20.15  6.74  lbs       $33.63   $13.48
    6-Jun-08      Onions, Yellow      $3.99   10    lbs        $8.30    $4.31
    6-Jun-08      Milk, Skim          $5.25   2     gal        $6.98    $1.73
    6-Jun-08      Blueberries         $7.99   907   gms        $3.99   -$4.00
    6-Jun-08      Apples, Pink Lady   $6.99   5.5   lbs       $10.95    $3.96
    6-Jun-08      Peanuts             $6.99   2.5   lbs        $7.63    $0.64
    15-Jun-08     Milk, Skim          $5.25   2     gal        $6.98    $1.73
    15-Jun-08     Blueberries         $7.99   907   gms       $14.21    $6.22
    15-Jun-08     Apples, Pink Lady   $6.99   5.5   lbs       $10.95    $3.96
    22-Jun-08     Milk, Skim          $5.25   2     gal        $6.98    $1.73
    22-Jun-08     Photograph, 5"x7"   $0.39   1     photo      $0.99    $0.60
    22-Jun-08     Photograph, 8"x12"  $1.49   1     photo      $4.99    $3.50
    22-Jun-08     Mangos              $8.99   9     mangos     $9.00    $0.01
    22-Jun-08     Peppers, Red Bell   $5.99   6     peppers    $6.00    $0.01
    22-Jun-08     Chicken Breast      $22.37  7.48  lbs       $37.33   $14.96
    22-Jun-08     Blueberries         $7.99   907   gms       $26.62   $18.63
    22-Jun-08     Pineapple           $3.49   1     pineapple  $4.99    $1.50

#11 astroguy, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  12. needachange

needachange Active Member

Wow that is pretty lame. I have 3 Costco's pretty close in proximity to where I live and every one of them takes Debit Cards, Credit Cards, Cash and Checks. You on the other hand are getting hosed. I never carry cash I would be quite pissed if any of the Costco's around me didn't take Debit or Credit.

13. steeletkd

steeletkd Well-Known Member

oops forgot about the thread... no just swipe. maybe its a local thing?

Edit: found this on the website -
    Which forms of payment are accepted online at samsclub.com and which are accepted In-Club?
    To purchase with samsclub.com, you may use a Sam's Club Credit Account, Wal-Mart/Sam's Club Shopping Card, Check, Discover®, Visa, MasterCard® or American Express®. To purchase at a Sam's Club location, you may only use either a Sam's Club Credit Account, Discover®, MasterCard®, Debit Card, Shopping Card, Cash or Check. American Express and Visa are not accepted for In-Club purchases.

My visa is a debit card hence why i was allowed.

#13 steeletkd, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Costco is not just a food store. They sell many other things which are usually at good prices. Over the counter medication, like tylenol is alot cheaper then the chain drugstores. While it is true that some things like electronics can be bought cheaper elsewhere, Costco has an excellent return policy, so sometimes it is worth spending alittle extra money.

Speaking of Costco, the price of whey has been really going up recently. They sell EAS whey for $36.00 for 6 pounds. I haven't been keeping track, but that seems alot more expensive then the last time I bought it.

15. 1esotericguy

1esotericguy Well-Known Member

16. Archistrategos

Archistrategos Active Member

Historically it's actually due to their business model. They aren't retailers in the traditional sense, and they don't really make much money from selling merchandise. They buy in bulk to get the prices as low as possible and get payment contracts for say 60 days. They want cash or payment forms that can be converted to cash very quickly and cheaply because they immediately take your money and invest it. When the contracts come due they pull the money out and make the payment.

At least, that's the general overview of the classic "club"/wherehouse store. It's interesting that Sam's Club takes visa online. I assume it's effectively a separate business...I'm curious what the business model is.