1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Costco Nautilus Smith Machine

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by biott, Jan 14, 2005.

1. biott

biott Well-Known Member

I am 41, 5' 10" and 215 lbs. and wanting to get a weight machine to start getting in shape. I have a 14 year old son who will also do it with me. I have been seriously looking at the Nautilus Smith Machine found at Costco which is on sell for $575 until Sunday Jan 16th. It comes with removeable bench and 205 lbs of weights and has cross-over pulley system that works independant of each other.

Has anyone here used or seen this mahcine? I would appreciate any input you would have. Here is a pic of it.

[​IMG]

Thanks

Barney

2. Mo_

Mo_ Well-Known Member

That's a very nice one....and the price is even better. Which costco is this at? Not in CA, right?? :D

3. imsuxok?

imsuxok? Well-Known Member

That's the first cage I've ever seen with adjustable pulleys. I wonder if the cage is wide enough to perform 2-arm exercises, though. Regardless, it's an awesome feature, especially at that price.

If a smith machine is your thing, it looks like a pretty good deal.

4. biott

biott Well-Known Member

Hmm, in looking at the coupon it appears to be good at all Costco stores. It is an official corporate coupon they handed out at the door. I am sure your local one has it too and they ussually have a handful of the coupons at checkout for those who do not have them.

The spread is approx 5' so it would appear you could do two arm excersizes. A number of the excersizes they show on the poster at the store are using both pulleys.

5. ecollins

ecollins Well-Known Member

I purchased this machine about 2 weeks ago. It took 3.5 hours to put it together w/ my wife's help. The machine is SOLID, and extremely smooth. The cable system is excellent and definitely allows 2 arm workouts. The cables being independent of each other is also a nice touch. There is absolutely no slop or poor craftmanship in it's build.

Now for the huge downside that I didn't find out about until assembly was complete. Warning number one on inside page of manual states:

"IMPORTANT! This Nautilus product has a maximum user weight limit of 136kgs (300 lbs.) and is not designed to be used with any load greater than the supplied weight of 93 kgs. (205 lbs.). Do not use any means to increase the resistance of the machine that is not specified in this Owner's Manual."

That warning alone may have just killed the usefulness of this machine for me, so I'll probably just completely ignore it and see what happens...

Swag

6. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

I saw one of these today at the costco in San Bernardino, CA. Nice setup! I can't afford it and don't have the room, but I teased my hubby about getting one. He said he'd need to bulk up to even put it in the car. :)

7. albert

albert Well-Known Member

If you are indeed starting out I don't think this is the best approach. Basics my friend, get an olympic set and a bench. You can find both for much less than the smith machine. I saw the same smith machine at costco a few weeks ago. I was rather tempted myself :drool:

8. jat0180

jat0180 Well-Known Member

Hello, just wondering if anybody has tried loading more than the recomended wieght and if so how did the unit respond? Thanks

9. stanley2122

stanley2122 Well-Known Member

i to bought the product then found the same information so i contacted nautilus and they stated that for bench press you could use max weight of 600lbs minus users weight for squats they said 600lbs and for pulleys they said 200lbs max.

10. stanley2122

more weight

Yes i contacted nautilus about theyre specs and they stated that for flat bench 600lbs minus user wieght is max,squats is 600lbs ,and the pulleys can handle max weight of 200lbs .I have used the bench with 235 no problems.

11. dhodson

dhodson Well-Known Member

how heavy is this thing in total
    i want to put it upstairs
    and any recommendations for a matt for under this thing to reduce noise

D

12. stanley2122

weight

its in the 300 to 400 lb range when completed

13. dhodson

dhodson Well-Known Member

does that include the weights?
    or is it 400 plus the weights

d

14. quadster32

quadster32 Well-Known Member

that is very bice and the price is attractive.

15. jaybob

jaybob Well-Known Member

I am thinking about purchasing one from Costco, but I'm wondering if you could provide some insight before I do. First, would this unit be unusually tough to disassemble and move it? Also, I plan on puting it in my basement which has berber carpet...would you suggest putting it on the carpet, or would it be a better idea to maybe set it on something like a piece of plywood? Thanks!

16. steele713

steele713 Well-Known Member

I just bought this machine for $499, an awesome price for this type of machine. It took me about 3-3 1/2 hours by myself to put it together, very straight forward, and easy directions(I thought). Just do not tighten the plastic ends for the bar to much as they will crack, I know i cracked one :( , just wrapped some electrical tape around it, and its fine :tu: I am amazed at how smooth this unit is, both the pulleys and the bar, haven't oiled yet and everything moves well. The bench is awesome as well, can do declines all the way to straight up for shoulder press, and anywhere in between. Nautilus told me the max weight on the pulleys is 205# and 500# including body weight for the smith machine (i think it will go at least 100# more on the smith machine, as it a very stable machine). After adjusting the cables i noticed that where the weights go on the cables they were not sitting on the rubber stoppers. I had screwed the adjustment screw in about 3/4 of an inch, i contacted natilus and they knew exactly what i was going to ask once i started the question. They said they are just new and they will stretch in time to rest on the stopper, and that screwing the adjustment screw in 1/2 to 3/4" is the correct setting. The unit is around 3-400# without weights when complete in my opinion. I plan on buying some other types of cable bars, and a lat pull down bar (as i have an idea for a lat pull down feature). I also want to get a preacher bench, 1. so I can do dumbell curls, and e-z curls, and also use with cable, and 2. so I can have a free weight curl bar, for bi's, tri's, etc. thus my gym will be complete.
    I think with the quality, and versatility of this unit, you will be less likely to turn it into a coat rack, and more likely to use for what is intended, and most important, GET RESULTS, man do I feel it. I would rate it a 4 outta 5 If it had a lat pull down bar, instead of a chin up bar, i would rate it 5 outta 5.
    has a 1 year warranty for wearable items, a 5 year warranty on moving components, and a 10 year warranty on the frame.
    I looked at bowflex(to pricey), weider (not the greatest quality in my opinion, and pricey for what you actually get), and tsa from oshmans(more expensive, no weights, and flimsy).
    If you have the room, get this machine, the cable feature is awesome, has attatchments, and 205# weights as well. The nautilus name is known for quality, and this is quality. don't spend more for less, like i said, if you have the room go with nautilus.
    Hope this helps, will answer any ?? if asked, I do not accept emails tho, so will check back often.
    Steele :gl:

17. jaybob

jaybob Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a question...will you have to damage it to disassemble and move it? I plan on moving within 2 years and would obviously like to continue using it much longer than that. With some things parts are "made to go together, but not to come apart." I guess my question is...will I be able to break it down into managable parts, relocate, and reassemble without losing any functionality? Also, has anyone seen any reviews on this item? I've looked for a while, and have only been able to find one...at eopinions.
    Thanks alot!!

jaybob

p.s. What's your idea for the lat pulldown?

18. steele713

steele713 Well-Known Member

Hey :bb: ...i think it can be broken down easily to transport. it goes together in large sections and i think you could take 1 side apart and be able to move it out of a room (sure hope so, as mine is in our spare room). it goes together quite easily, just 2 types of bolts,(long and short) about 30 of them. a lot is assembled for you, like the pulley, the cables are run through already, etc. all the bolts do is hold it together, so removal should not affect functionality. Reviews do seem to be slim, i think it is because nautilus only makes this unit for costco.
    My thought on the lat bar is that bowflex and other "band" type machines have a lat bar with 2 eyelets about 2' apart, thought i might be able to add a link of chain to each side of the pulleys and connect the bar with both cables. I have a preacher bench with an adjustable seat that may go low enough to use the lat bar properly as well as able to lock my knees in so not to lift out of seat. My wifes brother has a bar like this for his home gym, He plans on coming over this weekend, so i am going to try it out and see if it works, will let ya know the results.
    i looked for the review at epinions.com and did not see one for this machine..saw one for the nautilus with the lat bar, and peck deck :confused:
    also i forgot to mention it does need a weight tree, as there is no place for the weights...my friend is a welder so he's gonna make me 1, but have checked on ebay as well.
    laters :tucool:

#18 steele713, Feb 25, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  19. amighjm6

amighjm6 Well-Known Member

does anyone know of anyplace else to buy this machine? the costco website doesn't have it listed, the nautilus site doesn't have it listed, and none of the search engines return any response except this forum thread...thanks for your help,
    Josh

20. jaybob

jaybob Well-Known Member

Cool...thanks for the info! As for the lat pulldown, I was thinking I would buy a lat bar and just attatch it to one pulley. A couple possible problems with that... 1.) the amount of weight you can load to one pulley, and 2.) getting low enough to maximize the pulldown movement. Any observations on that?
    Thanks again for the info!! :tucool:
    jaybob