1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Core Stability Exercises

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by marcus, Feb 12, 2004.

1. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

It would definitely help, provided the exercises were done properly.

With a spinal hernia, I take it you're in regular contact with a doctor or physio regarding what you can and can't do? Good luck with it, I had a friend with the same problem and he experienced many problems, but prevailed in the end and leads a very active life.

2. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

I've heard people having good results doing both those exercises, but I would sure consult a physician to make sure you're allowed to do them. Also, make sure you do them correctly. I'm afraid to do deadlifts myself, because I'm not certain I do them in correct form. Squats seem to relieve my backpain as well. :tu:

3. chucke

chucke Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting all this info on core muscles! I searched the web for some good info on strength training for my core after experiencing a disk buldge in my lower spine. I knew strengthening these muscles would help to support my spine in that area. Hopefully this will prevent the buldge from coming back. Your posts are the very informative. Thanks!

4. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

You're welcome mate:tucool:

5. moving_on

moving_on Well-Known Member

Hi Marcus, I have a very slight herniation of the L4-L5 discs. neurologist just asked me to rest, watch my posture and stretch. He advised me only to use machines. Anyway I am new to lifting.

I am about to take this core work seriously and get my core really strong before going back to lifting weights. Right now I am just activating my TA/MF muscles whenever possible.

Why do you say to do deep breathing while lying down and activating the TA/MF muscles? Is it to relax all the other muscles in the body?

And also what exactly do you mean by normal curvature of the spine while lying down and doing these exercises? Do i have to make a concerted effort to keep my spine arched and there be a small gap between spine and floor (less than .75 inches)? I don't know...

Thanks... :)

6. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Hi Mate,

I don't believe I wrote breathe deeply, but breathe NORMALLY through your nose. Some people, when trying to contract their TA/MF muscles, breathe in a shallow manner because when they breathe normally (in their belly) they cannot maintain the contraction. You must learn to hold the contraction when breathing normally and deeply because your main goal is to be able to maintain a contraction of these muscles when doing everyday things and when doing strenuous activities like squats where you tend to breathe heavily.

With regard to the curvature of the spine, its hard to explain without me being there with you. I know from experience exactly what to look for. Here are some general guidelines. When lying on the floor on your back with your knees bent, make sure your plevis is not tilting forward to the point where your bum is sticking out and your lower back has a big arch. The pelvis should also not be so straight that your lower back is flat on the ground. Put your hand under your lower back where it arches and if the curvature is correct, there should be just enough room for your flat hand to slide under. Try tilting your pelvis back and forward with your hand under your back and you will see what I mean. Also, make sure your chest is out and your shoulder blades touching the floor. Once you have this position (and you will know when you have it) maintain this curvature for all exercises.

I hope this helped answer your questions.:tucool:

7. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

I'm also jumping on the bandwagon and starting some core exercises. Are they something that can be done everyday? I was thinking probably 3x a week.

8. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I think you can do a little every day without a problem.

I would check out zenpharaos' journal--he does a ton of core type exercises and he's worked with some high dollar new york city trainers.

The hardcore lifters probably all just lost it when they read that but training for movement as well as asthetics is gaining popularity.

You mention getting on the bandwagon, which is funny. Core training is sort of on a roll right now. Not that it's new, just more widespread now as people's priorities change.

9. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

Until I read this thread I thought Core Exercising was BS. As I read it I realized that my core is what is holding me back. 10-12 yrs ago I was at a party and got thrown into a pool and landed on the stairs on my back. I think that, plus the lack of exercising, has put me in the situation I am in now. My lower back feels very tight after I try to do a few crunches, and it feels tight if I sleep in the wrong position. I figure that my core muscles have atrophied from disuse.

10. Ye Olde Barbarian

Ye Olde Barbarian Active Member

11. Muha

Muha Active Member

12. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

???

13. jordaro2002

jordaro2002 Active Member

thanks alot marcus for your outline on pg 1 of core stability. I'll try some of these exercises soon.

14. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

Here is something I've heard that can help you test your core stability. You need a manual blood pressure monitor though. Lying supine on the floor, with a natural curve in the lumber region, place the BP monitor in the gap between you and the floor and pump it up until you feel some pressure. Then perform some simple core exercises such as flexing one hip at a time until the lower leg is parallel to the floor. Looking at the BP monitor, the pressure shouldn't change at all throughout the exercise. You can make this harder by touching the knee with the opposite hand. If the pressure doens't change you probably have good core stability.

What do you think about this test?

I have one question though. When activating your TA, how do you not activate your RA? Or rather, how do you tell that you're not activating your RA, because to me it feels like I am.

15. radon

radon Active Member

Does anyone have pictures of the core stability exercises?

I would like some pictures, I want to make sure I do this right so the effort isn't in vain (Measure Twice Cut Once). Lead a very sedentary life so I know my core has been de-conditioned quite well. So I believe I need to do these core exercises.

I would really appreciate it if someone could post up the pictures or show point me to a place where I can get them. I will be of course actively searching myself, I don't really know where to look for this kind of info though.

16. Azure

Azure Active Member

To bump this thread again.

I found it very interesting to read what everyone had to say. I tend to agree with Chris, but only because I also have never core exercises, yet I'm squatting almost 400 lbs in 6 months of work.

I have started to do yoga though, but not for core strength. I need better flexibility.