1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cooked Beef - Macronutrients

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by digitalnebula, May 29, 2013.

1. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

This is probably something I have been calculating improperly my entire life......

(For the sake of my conversation lets use 1/4 pound....or 4 oz.)

I cook up some 96% lean ground beef.
    Then I pour the fat off.
    I then record the macros as 150 CAL, 25 PRO, 0 CHO, 4.5 FAT

How off is this?

If I drain off 80% of the fat, should I be recording it as: 110 CAL, 25 PRO, 0 CHO, 1 FAT

Should I just eat the fat and account for it?

Now I am just confusing myself....sigh....stuff like this drives me nuts....:ohnoes:

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

By that difference, you are 3.5 grams--roughly 31 calories--difference. Does it matter? Technically the nutrition info on most packaging is a rough estimate anyway, a best guess by the packers. Was the meat really only 96% lean? Or did the butcher just use the piece of the cow that allows them by federal regs to call it 96% and no measurements of that particular section were taken?

These little ups and downs are impossible to account for. Any calculation be it macros or your metabolism are best guesses and are in flux every given moment.

I go with the number that estimates the most calories and then make sure I'm under the calorie limit of the day. This way I'm either properly under or a little even better under due to the over estimates.

Jaer
    did not know the exact amount of mayo in the homemade cole slaw he had tonight for dinner. Sure, he knows exactly how much he put in when he made it, but he didn't know how much was left. He estimated it was under 50% of the total made, so his mayo calc was for 50% of the mayo he used. No doubt that was an over calculation, but that just means at the end of the day his calories were even lower, so score!

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Yeah...probably overthinking it....

....but I was looking at it as miscalculating nearly 10% of my fats for the day...:eek:

And if someone was using 90% or 93%...the differences would get a lot wilder...