1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

CONGRATS TO ANDREW!

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by mastover, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Hey Andrew,

First, congrats on your great results and the fantastic body that you've developed. You really deserved the victory.

In your 'before' photo on T-Nation you seem to have the seem issue I have - your chest is storing quite a bit of fat which makes it 'droopy' with a bit of a concave area in the middle (the 'cleavage' look). Do you have any tips on how you dealt with this? It's the only thing I hate about my body, and it keeps me from feeling confident about the way I look.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not Andrew (I think he is still savoring his victory and too busy eating :) ) but he didn't have any lower chest fat in that pic on T Nation. His lower chest was simply overdeveloped in relation to his upper pecs, giving the impression that he had droopy lower pecs. By bringing up the upper chest, this created symmetry in his overall chest development. And when he eventually dropped the body fat, everything balanced out. Without seeing any pics, it would be difficult to determine if you indeed do have lower chest fat or another issue. Although this is not what Andrew did, here is a great starting point routine to bring up the upper chest.

Incline DB Fly's - 2 warmup sets of 15 reps, then pick a weight you can do for 10 reps and upon contraction at the top of the movement, twist your wrists so that your hands are facing you. 1 second squeeze at the top, 1 second stretch at the bottom. 2 total work sets

Incline BB Press - 1 warmup set of 10 reps, then begin pyramiding up in weight for sets of 8. Once you can't get 8 reps, that will be your final set. 3-4 sets

Pec Deck Fly's - do a warmup set of 15 reps, then set the seat all the way down and pick a weight where you can do 10 reps. 2 second squeeze in the contracted position. 2 total work sets

The next three exercises will be done in tri-set fashion with no rest between sets:
    Front plate raises - 12 reps, followed by Gironda dips with bodyweight for 6-10 reps, followed by wide pushups between two benches or aerobic steps with your feet on the ground to failure. 2 total rounds

Front plate raise with hands grasping the plate at the 9:00 o'clock and 3:00 o'clock postion (this movement will fill in the gap just below the clavicles. Bring plate only to eye level and squeeze for a 2 count). Gironda dips are with elbows wide, feet under your chin, and chin on the chest. The wide hand placing on the pushups will create quite a burn and improve flexibility immensely. Do not lock out at the top, keep constant tension and keep your head up.

In most cases, bringing up body parts, or even hypertrophy, has a lot more to do with angles, tut (time under tension), technique, rather than just slinging heavy weights around. Try this for around 6 weeks and your upper chest should see some good improvement. Make sure to get in plenty of protein and calories. Have fun and enjoy the pain. :)

3. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Thanks for that mate - I'm going to give the routine a go starting next week (provided I can fight off this bug over the weekend). I'll let you know how it goes!

4. mastover

Update with Andrew. We are currently 18 days out from his second show. In a short few months he has put on an extra 6 pounds of muscle while reducing body fat. This guy is the epitome of hard work, dedication, no whining, and will do whatever it takes to be a champion. He works long, long hours every day as a personal trainer and is also a concert cellist. Here are a few pics...

Oh, and I also have a female bodybuilder in this same show with the same work ethic as Andrew. She is looking absolutely stunning. I'll have to get her to join our group here, as well! :nod:

Damn, am I proud of these guys. :claplow::claplow:

Attached Files:

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

^^ Looking good Andrew. Good luck with your show!

6. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

looking great.............I love the legs

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

You always were a leg man, George.:lol: But I agree, Andrew, great work on your wheels. Knock 'em dead!

8. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

That's only onn the fellas, for the gals I'm a strictly a boob man.

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

He has the physique without being natural?

10. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

:rolleyes:

There's absolutely nothing about Andrew's physique that would suggest any sort of steroid use.

It's amazing what hard work and dedication can accomplish, so I can understand why those who haven't put in that kind of effort are often skeptical.

11. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yup, see bolded part in Mastover's post below -- it pretty much says it all:

12. Gskarr

Gskarr Active Member

Congratulations Andrew
    Your body looks in harmony dude...everything has the size that has to be

13. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Andrew: Great job! Most of us on this site know the hard work and discipline it takes to achieve what you have. Aram is the best - no doubt about that - but as he tells us, he can't lift the weights, eat the right foods, etc. Good instruction is useless if someone isn't willing to put in the hard that it takes. Its obvious to those in the know that you have take the instruction and put it every ounce of hard work. I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming show and look forward to hearing how you do.

14. mastover

Andrew came in second to the guy on the left. :confused:
    Unfortunately, this was a non-tested NPC show, and I can say from experience, that the NPC goes for a certain, shall we say, LOOK. :whistle:
    Andrew got robbed, but now we will focus on the INBF or the OCB where he can get what he truly deserves, a natural pro card. Andrew also had the best quads in the show, yet was told by one of the judges that he needs more quad sweep and sharper abs!?!? :rolleyes:

Unbelievable. Anyway, he has a great attitude and made improvements all across the board. He was getting stronger each week even though his calories began to drop. A couple of weeks prior to the show, in a depleted state, he was squatting 365 for 8-10 deep reps at a body weight of 170, and body fat level at around 4.5%

I'm pretty sure that if he had a darker tan, he would've come in first place without the bias. I am very happy for him. I'll try posting more pics from the show.

Attached Files:

15. mastover

One more pic. :claplow:

Attached Files:

16. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

phenomenal, andrew. you look like a million bucks. congrats! :bow::bow:

17. BJ

BJ Active Member

Aram - how can you say that for certain? Sorry... I don't know enough to be able to spot the useage, but am curious how to

18. mastover

If you have not competed in NPC shows, or been to a NPC non-tested show, or been a judge for over 20+ years in tested and non-tested shows... you would know exactly what I meant by my comment.

Have you competed in a tested or natural, drug tested show???

19. BJ

BJ Active Member

no... sorry... just wondered if there was something in particular that you are seeing. I really have 0 knowledge on the subject

20. jeremy155rr

jeremy155rr Well-Known Member

I thought he was talking about the tan;)

And congrats to Andrew!!! Looking great, phenomenal display of determination and strict, hard work!