1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help

Discussion in 'Technical' started by smuhhh, Sep 7, 2009.

1. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a problem with the forum, so much as it is a problem with my computer, but any advice from some of you who understand how the magic inside a computer works would be greatly appreciated.

I have noticed this problem with other forums as well. When I go into the JSF forum, the "Last Post" column on the right will state the last post in that forum, but if I open that forum, that thread is either not even in there, or it is 3 or 4 down the line. Plus, if I click on the thread in the "Last post" section it will take me to what appears to be the updated version of that thread, but If I click on the thread after entering the forum, it is as if it is the thread from a day ago, ie. missing posts etc. The time is also all screwed up on all the posts, saying the last post is from 6 hours from now etc. (my computer clock and date are correct, I checked). On other forums I have noticed that when I sign in, threads that should be bold to designate new posts, are not.

I think I accidentally went 88 and now I'm stuck in some weird time paradox.

I hope that what I just said makes a modicum of sense because I don't know how to explain in more technically.

Thanks for the help, if this doesn't belong here, or is too much to ask, no worries!

2. Pawn

Pawn Active Member

Great Scott, Marty! :eek:

Sounds to me that it is some sort of browser issue. Try checking that your browser is set to allow cookies from this site and also check with your cache settings in your browser. Cache is basically a stored copy of a webpage on your computer that your browser will keep so it doesn't have to ask for a new copy every time you look at the same webpage. This doesn't really help in the forum environment because it is storing old versions.. so that could explain why you are seeing some of those issues. Also cookies hold site-specific data so the forum may be trying to set cookies that say which threads you have viewed and so on, and if you browser doesn't accept them, that could cause issues there.

That could be a start. Try looking at those and report back if you still have issues.

3. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips Pawn. I was wondering if one of those two things might be the problem, but I'm not sure I would know what to change to fix it anyways. Fortunatly I managed to just wish it better... not sure how, but it was an easy fix :D.