1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Coconut Oil and Fat Loss

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mastover, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I've been using this oil for the past two years. Great source of pure saturated fat that will elevate test levels and will more unlikely be stored as body fat. It's used as an immediate energy source due to the amount of carbons in it's structure. It's great on veggies, and even starchy carbs like oatmeal.

Unlike EVOO which is an an oil that is essentially healthy and non impactfull, the MCT in coconut oil will switch on your body's fat burning mechanism naturally. My advanced clients and bodybuilding competitors (as well as my figure girls) have been reaping the rewards.

Since using this oil, my test levels are at the levels I had 15 years ago. Even with my muscular diseases I currently am being treated for.. I'm sure there's more to this, but since I switched to this oil on a daily basis, I do not have to think about using other products, both illegal and legal, to maintain above T levels at the age of 52.

Too many people rely on fat burners, ECA (illegal in all natural orgs) and other stuff. Nutrition will be 85% of the equation along with intensity and progression in training. No short cuts. Educate yourself, then take action. For healthy fats, please look into coconut oil :nod:

If you need studies, please PM me. :)

2. BJ

BJ Active Member

How much daily intake are you shooting for? We have a container at home, but I don't eat it that frequently... may have to add it to the diet :confused:

3. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Thanks for the free consulting Aram!

When you say pure saturated fat... you mean saturated fat?

What test levels are you referring to? A triglycerides test?

Sorry for the seemingly silly questions, but for somebody who has a family history of heart disease I'm looking for healthy fats to incorporate in my diet aside from EVOO.

Thanks again for the information!

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

test = testosterone

5. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Yes, I bought a container and I need to use it more! The main thing I use it for is to pop my popcorn. :D (but only once a week... ok, maybe twice...)

6. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I have a bottle at home and have used it for cooking a few times. It stinks the house out and I have been "told" not to do it anymore. In liquid form it tastes awful to drink.
    What other ways can I use it to get the benefits?

7. geobuilder

geobuilder Active Member

I put coconut oil in my coffee or eat a chunk of it real quick.
    Not too bad. :eat:

8. mastover

9. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Would coconut flakes be the same?

10. mastover

I think the flakes are more convenient in baking recipe's. The oil is more convenient if you use it as I do.
    However, coconut flake quality varies.
    Supermarket--and some health food store--brands are made for long shelf life by using additives (sulfites, propylene glycol and sugar). This can compromise flavor. Another way I like to use coconut oil is to spread it on english muffins with sliced bananas and a pineapple ring. :D

11. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I could see adding flakes to my oatmeal. Of course lately my oatmeal is more other stuff then oatmeal -)

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I made a smoothie last night with a mango, some spinach, and some coconut oil, blended smooth. It was very tasty. Thick and rich.

I'm sure there are some other smoothies that would work well with a hint of coconut. Anything with mango or pineapple to be sure.

Jaer
    loves fruit smoothies.

13. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I have an easy recipe for roasted sweet potatoes in coconut oil (not that roasting sweet potatoes is hard...) that I found in the Times. I love the flavor of the oil.

1 1/2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
    1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
    2 teaspoons light brown sugar, packed
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg.
    1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat.

2. In a large bowl, toss together potatoes, coconut oil, sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

3. Spread the potatoes in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until soft and caramelized, about 1 hour.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a hard time with sweet potatoes because they get more burned then white/yellow potatoes and they don't get the same stiffness/crunchiness, which I really in roasted potatoes.

So thanks for the recipe--will definitely try it out.

Jaer
    is always looking for sweet potato recipes and ways to use more coconut oil.

15. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Picked up a jar on Monday evening, and must say it tastes quite good.

Used just a 2.5 teaspsoons to brown 97% lean ground turkey meat with some black pepper, a tiny amount of salt, garlic powder, and a couple dashes of red pepper flakes.

The coconut oil alleviated the problem I was having with the turkey drying out. It's tasty, with just a tiny hint of coconut (I'm not a coconut fan) that really does a number on the turkey. It lends a certain sweetness to it that compliments that spices nicely I think.

Will definitely incorporate into future dishes.

As an aside - maybe I need more information as I've always been led to believe that saturated fats aren't good for your heart. I was under the impression that the saturated fats received through lean red meat/chicken/pork, etc. was more than sufficient. Referencing my family's issue with heart disease again, am I off base with a true fear of saturated fats? I take in fat via all natural peanut/almond butter, avocados, etc. but I thought that was primarily comprised of unsaturated.

I'm sure there is a significant difference in saturated fat found in coconut oil vs. a candy bar or burger from a fast food joint. But I wasn't aware that saturated fats played such an important role.

Can somebody help with a clear explanation of why saturated fats like these are good?

16. mastover

The much-maligned saturated fats—which Americans are trying to avoid—are not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry:

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
    They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.1
    They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.2They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.3
    They enhance the immune system.4
    They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats. 5
    Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.6 The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
    Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
    Saturated fats control production of hormones in our bodies. Think TESTESTERONE PRODUCTION!

The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that "artery-clogging" saturated fats cause heart disease.7 Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.8

If you need references, let me know. :)

17. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Thank you very much Aram!

In getting back into the gym after having bought a new house and working like a madman on it, I have a renewed goal to drop some lbs and gain more muscle.

The area I've had the most trouble with is my diet, and this information helps immensely. My wife and I have argued recently over the proper amounts of protein/carbs/fat to intake daily (I having been a student of yours and therefore advocate much more protein intake than she does). This information will assist greatly in planning our diets more strictly so we don't have to worry so much any more.

I have tried to tell her repeatedly that she doesn't take in enough protein (maybe 60-75 grams/day) and calories overall. She refuses to believe the science that is behind most of what is preached here, so it makes locking the diet down a little tougher since I cook for the both of us.

Thanks again for the fantastic information!

18. mastover

Our body naturally creates as much saturated fat as we need. However, depending on your diet and carb intake, extra saturated fats (heavy cream in protein shakes) can produce excellent results when carbs are low (20% of intake with veggies as main source) and can allow us to reduce, or completely eliminate conventional cardio if fat loss is a goal... Again, bodytype is important in tracking how much saturated fat should be included, but it is a fantastic method to gain fat free mass, increase testosterone levels, and making terrific strides towards pure, fat free lean mass gains.

19. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Well-Known Member

how many grams of this stuff do you need for results?

also, does one need to keep taking fish oil caps if taking this kind of fat?

20. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Completely different purpose.