1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Chin ups volume versus weighted?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Robert2006, May 29, 2012.

1. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

First of all I can't do pullups. My shoulders don't seem to move that way . But I assume chinups are good enough.

I'm guessing the answer is to do a mix of volume at body weight and some weighted. Does that make sense?

Or if I just do 4 x5 weighted can I leave it at that?

Goal is just to hit any part of the back the deadlifts might miss.

Thanks

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If you can do chin-ups, you should be able to do pull-ups. The change is just in wrist orientation. There should be relatively little effect on the shoulders. Perhaps, you are trying to do pull-ups with a very wide grip? That's completely unnecessary to do.

The main reason to do either exercise at bodyweight is that the number you can do that way is the pulling equivalent to "how much can you bench?" -- a common gauge of level of fitness. If you're not concerned about that, you should weight and progress on them like any other exercise. Depending on your level of strength, that could mean no weights or even using bands or a machine to unweight you.

I'm far from great at pull-ups though.

3. user786

user786 Active Member

When you can do 8-10 reps using bodyweight then its time to start adding weight .

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Seriously my body refuses to move if I use the pullup grip. I've tried closer/further apart.

But if I use the chin grip I can without cheating get my sternum area over the bar. It's not like one of those HS chinups when I try and stretch my neck so the chin is over the bar :lol: But pullup grip nothing.

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

With my shoulder I tend to find I'm better off avoiding higher rep sets.

Body weight I'm easily doing six or so. But I can add 5Kg and do the same six.

Thanks to you both

6. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Because the grip is supinated, which shortens the bicep, the chin-up gets more arm into the movement, which can come at the expense of the back. You might be relying pretty heavily on your arms and not getting good back activation. Having ingrained an arm-heavy movement pattern might be what is holding you back in the pull-up. I'd suggest looking into this because the strength difference between a pull-up and chin-up shouldn't be vastly different (provided you give the other a few sessions to get back into the groove after having not trained it for a while). Working pull-up negatives, focusing on a good scapular contraction at the start, in addition to your regular chin-up work might be a good place to start.

#6 chicanerous, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I actually get pain in my right forearm when doing pull ups but no pain when I do a chin up. I find it--odd.

Rob, have you ever tried a mixed grip pull-up? One arm chin position, one arm pull position? Switching which hand is supinate from set to set might help you get adjust to doing full pull-ups.

Or if just might be a really bad idea.

Jaer
    is just tossing the idea out there. He's not so good at pull-ups either.

8. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I have the same problem basically.

I've worked my way up lately to 4 sets of Chins (hands spaced 16" apart...palms facing toward me).

Goes 7,7,6,6 with a two minute rest between sets.

I want to get 4 sets of 8. But I'm plateaued on the above numbers......have been for awhile now.

Every once in awhile I strap the weight belt on and weight up for a session of single rep maxes. But that isn't changing the numbers I want.

From day one I could always do better at weighted chins than repped sets at bodyweight.

I had no problem strapping on 25 to 50lbs and doing a single chin.

But I was after hypertrophy so I wanted to up the reps to sets of 8 and then add weight.

Ditto for Dips.......took me ages to get up to 4 sets of 8 bodyweight dips. Yet I can strap on the belt, throw 50lbs or more on and I'm good for single reps.

Bench is the same......I can't do 8 reps of anything unless the weight is a lot lower than max.

But max weight for single reps I can do rep after rep after rep after rep with a two or 3 minute rest between reps.