1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Chicken Tenderloin

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by mastover, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

We've all seen the evidence of how unhealthy chicken nuggets are at restaurants and fast food joints like McDonald's, Burger King, etc. Heck, even the innocent "healthy" chili from Wendy's has come under fire recently as one of the unhealthiest food choices due to their questionable methods of the beef they are using.

I like chicken tenderloins. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than boneless breast, but I prefer the organic variety. About 10-12 years ago I used to bake 3 lbs. of chicken tenderloin, along with 3-4 lbs. of sweet potato and eat it all in one day. This was in addition to 2 protein shakes and egg whites. Today, I've eased up a bit but today I tried this recipe again and it's a winner. High protein, low carbs, and very satisfying. You can even take leftovers to work the next day in a microwavable dish.

Ingredients
    1 lb chicken tenders
    1/2 cup low fat mayo (or one whole egg)
    3 egg whites
    1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    Directions
    Preheat Oven to 425°F.
    Mix chicken tenders and mayonnaise, egg whites (or the whole egg and egg whites) in a bowl to lightly coat chicken with the mixture.
    Mix bread crumbs and cheese in a gallon-size zippie bag.
    Prepare baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
    Put 1-2 chicken tenders in the zippie bag with the bread crumbs and shake to coat.
    Place chicken tenders in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
    Continue until all tenders are coated and on the baking sheet.
    Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Gently flip each one, so as not to remove the breading, and bake an additional 8 minutes.

I like serving this with mustard or hot sauce! You can eat this throughout the day, or divide it up along with your other meals, have half for lunch with a veggie of choice, and have half for dinner and as a late night snack. If you're counting calories, make sure to take into account the mayo, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese.

Echoing the infamous words of Furious Pete..... "Eat up boyz.... Eat up... :nod:

2. astroguy

astroguy Active Member

Thanks for posting; I have 2 lbs of breasts marinating now for my tequila-lime chicken, but this looks like something to try soon. I'm curious, though -- what role does the mayo play? I generally don't care for it, and after watching cooking shows for over a decade, I don't think I've ever seen it used when coating chicken breast when breading. The flour + egg wash + seasoned flour is what's normally done.

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Hi Astro,

I find that the mayo holds everything together a little better and adds to the "crunchy" aspect of the chicken, along with providing some extra flavor. Of course you can leave the mayo out and just use the other options. Good stuff! Hope you enjoy it. :)