1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

chicanerous: reboot

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by chicanerous, Jan 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Name: Adam
    Height: 5'9"

Notation

All exercises follow one of these notations: reps x weight, sets x reps x weight, time x weight, or simply reps or time. An ellipsis (...) between sets indicates that a short rest was taken, usually after momentary muscle failure, to attempt to finish the planned volume -- rest/pause would be a planned example of this. Sets that are linked by addition (+) are dropsets, extended sets, or circuits as noted. Exercises that are linked by addition (+) constitute a complex. Time is listed in digital format, where, for example, ':30' corresponds to 30 seconds, while '1:30' or ':90' corresponds to 1 minutes and 30 seconds. Weights are listed, by default, in pounds, but may also be listed in kilograms when appropriate, which will be noted. After some exercises, the statistic (total volume -- average weight per rep) may appear, which is used to help track progression. A vertical bar (|) will appear in the data if there is volume that is not included in the calculation.

History

#1: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=3872
    #1.5: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=23808
    #2: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=31065
    #3: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=39115

Photos: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=29125

#1 chicanerous, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Week of February 10, 2008.

Goal: Sort out destabilized right scapula, build up posterior delts and back, and rebuild leg strength and bodyweight.

Sunday
    Monday
    Tuesday
    It's been about seventy days since I stopped training. Looking at my logs, other than one month off in December 2005 due to an injury, I noticed I had been training continuously for three years and nine months up until that point. I would have been at the four year mark now, which is kind of pathetic considering I ended up deadlifting just 430 and squatting 330 over that time frame -- granted I didn't really discover squats or deadlifts until 2006, so it's more like two years to increase my strength to that point for those two lifts.

I also have some thoughts about why this break happened. The first thing is that I think I was plain losing motivation; despite basing my routine around leg exercises, it didn't feel like I was making much progress on my squat or deadlift. Part of the problem there is that my assessment of what constitutes a "good lift" has become so far inflated from my reality -- think 600 deadlift, 400 ATG back squat, etc. (Which is a bit amusing because those numbers don't even mesh up. I think a 400 BSQ would only have me deadlifting around 500.) The second thing is that my bodyweight never really increases due to my poor eating habits. This makes it damn hard to get strong. I've known for quite a while that that is the weakest point of my overall program, but I haven't been able to change it. The third and probably most important thing is that I underwent an immense change this quarter in terms of my class schedule. By necessity, I scheduled almost everything in the morning, causing me to adapt to a schedule that is the absolute opposite of how I've been living for the past three years. (I'm an extreme night owl.) The quarter is almost two thirds of the way through and I'm still having problems maintaining this schedule.​
    Wednesday
    3 PM

Back Squat: 5x95, 3x95, 8x135, 8x155, 8x185
    Stretching: lunging hip flexor, cossack, glutes, lunging quad, chair

Starting very easy. This is partly because a big goal is just to go to the gym and also because it really has been a while. I got lightheaded and was a little nauseated just from those sets, clearly showing how out of shape I currently am.​
    Thursday -- very sore.
    Friday -- sore.
    Saturday -- sore.

#2 chicanerous, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Woohoo 1st one!

What are you eating right now? Are you eating at a surplus? If so how much....Just curious that's all.

4. docutech

docutech Active Member

Hey Adam,

I must say I am very impressed with your progress thus far. I have read most of your journals and viewed all of your training videos. You are one strong mutha brutha! I.m gonna watch this journal for sure!

Good luck! :gl:

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks man.

Well, since you asked, I guess I should mention that I'm not eating much. I've been having problems with venturing out in public lately when I will need to interact with other people. I can get to classes alright and the gym seemed okay today, but having to talk to people to be served food, the prospect of finding an empty table to sit at at the dining hall, and how loud it gets when it is crowded has been making me very anxious. For the first two weeks of this quarter, I was only able to go to the dining hall once. I was able to go a couple times last week, but not yet this week. I hope to go in about an hour. I've ordered pizza a couple times and gone to CVS when it is dark out, so I haven't been completely starving, but my total number of calories has been overall quite low.

This problem comes and go. I'll get over it. :tucool:

// I don't need this journal to turn into an off topic psychoanalysis in case anyone's getting ancy after reading this post. ;)

#5 chicanerous, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

i think the simple answer, then, is caramellos.

duh.

7. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Indeed. :D

8. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

you'll get back into it Chic. Just hang in there buddy! :tu:

9. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Chic, I know you've explained the purpose of chains in past threads but my question is regarding the similarities and benefits of chains and bands. Aren't they pretty similar?

Would it be worthwhile for me to get chains if I already have bands I use for benching and squatting? I'd also be able to utilize the chains for weighted push-ups and GHRs but should they be a high priority item to purchase?

10. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Chains and bands are definitely more similar than different. In each case, the goal is to create accommodating resistance, so that the load you experience differs between points in the ROM such that, usually, it is greatest at the strongest point and smallest at the weakest. The inverse is also applicable -- though less often performed. If you already have bands, then where I would place chains in terms of priority of purchase depends on what else you're currently looking to buy.

11. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

Just to add onto chicos statement, chains serve as a more unstable method of accomodating resistance, as in as you lift more links come off the ground rather than the constant pressure you get with bands. They're very similar though, so I'd get a prowler first haha.

12. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It depends on the size and weight of the links as well as how they're laid out on the floor. In practice, I don't find much distinction unless the chain is very thick.

I'd go for a prowler first as well. :D

#12 chicanerous, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I want a prowler :dreamy: My neighbors would think I was nuts (more than they already do!)

14. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

I guess the chains I use are big but I can usually notice.

Prowler looks like it would make me vomit so fast, but it would be fun. I also want one of those parachutes for sprinting.

15. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I don't think the words fun and prowler can be used in the same sentence.

Chico, I'm looking to purchase chains, a prowler, a texas power bar, tylergrips, a combo rack, and a bench. Yeah, I know that's a lot of stuff but I intend to work more over the summer to save for the expenses.

16. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Week of February 17, 2008.

Goal: Sort out destabilized right scapula, build up posterior delts and back, and rebuild leg strength and bodyweight.

Sunday -- not sore.
    Monday
    11 PM | 179.3 lbs

Back Squat: 2x6x95, 8x135, 8x155, 8x185
    Stretching: lunging hip flexor, cossack, glutes, lunging quad, chair, calf mobility

Alright -- that's two down. Next squat workout I increment the weight a bit and start the upward climb. The key here is small increments and frequent sessions.​
    Tuesday -- barely sore.
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    8:30 PM | 179.1 lbs

Back Squat: 4x135 | 3x175, 2x205, 2x225, 2x245, 2x265, 2x275, 5x225, 5x225 (5205 -- 226.3)
    Stretching: lunging hip flexor, cossack, glutes, lunging quad, chair, band, calf mobility

This isn't exactly what I meant when I said slow upward climb, but last workout coupled with the few days of rest was feeling a bit too easy. :lol: The workout went well though. The double at 275 was smooth and didn't grind at all. I didn't notice any discernible cardio impact on the two sets of 225 (i.e. no particularly elevated breathing after each set), which is a good sign. I tried something new during them as well: I counted backwards. I think I'll do that from now on.​
    Saturday -- barely sore

#16 chicanerous, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  17. mattback

mattback Active Member

hey dude,

good to see you back. you're one of those that i really looked up to for advice, criticism, everything.

i don't know what i'd do if you , zen, or mastover stopped posting entirely. i'd keep lifting, but i'd lose track of what the hell i was doing, i'm sure.

you were much, much stronger than me before, I'm sure your muscles have plenty of memory left in them. take it easy and you'll be fine.

what's a destabilized scapula?

18. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks, matt.

It's when the scapular stabilizers (upper and, especially, lower trapezius and serratus anterior) don't fire in the right pattern during humeral elevation, which alters scapulothoracic kinematics. (Yeah, I totally paraphrased that part off some random website. ;)) In other words, my right scapula tracks a bit funny during some movements because some of the surrounding muscles aren't doing their proper functions in the right sequence. I have this issue because I've done a lot of "reaching" for years -- computer mouse, keyboard, driving, etc. -- with that side.

#18 chicanerous, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  19. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

20. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Totally agree with that statement, with 1FastGTX added to the mix, Get well and good luck. :bb:

If a posts had soundtracks that one was perfect match. :guitar:

#20 Nowhereman, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008