1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking Weight Routine - Feedback?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by astroguy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Note: There are three main questions in this post, and I've helped you find 'em by bolding 'em. :)

Last year, after a lot of finangling, I got lots of feedback and put together a 3-day split weight lifting regimen. At the time, it was taking me around 45 minutes each time. I'm down to 35 minutes, I think because I'm resting for less time between sets, but I wanted to check this over with folks to get feedback again, and to ask if I should be adding something to get my time up closer to 45 minutes.

Warmup: Prisoner Squats, Lunges, Crunches, Pushups, Pullups, Inverted Rows (takes roughly 5-7 minutes), and resetting weights.

Day 1: Back/Biceps
    - DB Bicep Curls
    - BB Deadlift
    - DB Concentration Curls
    - BB Bent-Over Row

Day 2: Chest/Triceps
    - BB Benchpress
    - DB Triceps Kickbacks
    - DB Hammer Curls
    - DB Incline Flys

Day 3: Legs/Shoulders
    - BB Squats
    - DB Rear Lateral Rise
    - BB Military Press
    - DB Standing Calf Raises
    - DB Lunges

Everything is done in supersets paired off (first two, last two), 4 sets 8 reps. On Day 3, the last three things are done as one superset.

Also, now on off days, I'm thinking of adding some light isometric exercises. Almost all I've found work the abs, so I'm trying to vary it a bit. The idea is to get a more stable core and to be setting aside a set time EVERY day where I'm on the weight mat in my living room doing something. I did a plank the other day just to see how long I could hold it and got to 45 seconds. Yeah ...

Warmup: Same

Exercises: Plank, Side Bridge, V-Up/Sit, Ski Squat, Bicycle Crunch, Rear Incline Bridge.

NONE of these are weighted so's to give the CNS and muscles time to recover from heavy weights on the regimen mentioned above. Is this latter part overkill?

2. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

First, let me commend you for having the discipline to get back on the fitness saddle. The first step (starting) is always the hardest. Kudos to you for that.

Second, depending on your goals, IMO if you're able to recover that quickly between sets, and are able to do the same amount of reps, perhaps you're not lifting heavy enough. Again, I will qualify that statement with "depending on your goals". It very well may be that your recovery time is appropriate for the goals you are trying to achieve.

Third, on your off days, you might want to consider doing complexes (e.g. Cosgrove's evil eight). They are a great way to do some cardio. If done correctly, you will be burning some serious calories. I try and make it a competition with myself since I'm naturally a very competitive person.

Fourth, personally, I'm not a big fan of concentrating too much on core exercises. I do some ab exercises as part of my routine in the week if I have time, but if you're doing certain compound lifts (e.g. squats, deadlifts, etc.), you will be working your core as part of those lifts. Take this next statement with a grain of salt, but I think many of these core specific routines are way overrated. The salt: at 55 years old, I stay pretty active and do a lot of paddling sports (SUP, kayaking) which works the core if you paddle correctly. In the end, do what works for you.

Best of luck to you.

3. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement from your first point. I'll wait to see what some other folks say before making a final decision. But I wanted to comment on your second point.

My recovery time between sets is around 60-90 seconds; I force myself to go back if I'm hitting close to the two-minute mark. The weight is the maximum I can do to failure during the 8th rep of the 3rd or 4th set. Then I up the weight if I think my form was good and I didn't think I was going to drop something. I usually go 2-3 weeks at the same weight before I feel like I can do that. I usually finish pretty darn sore, on days 1 and 2 barely able to lift the bar of soap to shower afterwards (slight exaggeration, but the point is still valid).

Oh, and regarding goals - back to the beginning of dropping weight to around 150-160 and then bulking to ~165-170 and cutting again. Goal is for next summer to return to some events I went to this summer where I was surrounded by buff guys and I felt like Jabba the Hut and refused to take my shirt off.

#3 astroguy, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012