1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheat meal - load of junk food or alcohol..whats worse ?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Trex_Lean_machine, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Trex_Lean_machine

Trex_Lean_machine Well-Known Member

In terms of fatloss what do you think ?

2. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

A combination of the two is worst. Then alcohol. Then junk food.

3. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

I think I could agree with that. Alcohol by itself likely might not have the calories of a day of food gorging but the other issues of alcohol in your system make it #2 in my book.

4. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Neither, if you cheat in moderation.

Why does it have to be a load of either? Why not one slice of a pizza and a beer?

Jeremy

5. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

For me when I cheat I like to go hard. Reminds me of the old days. If it's less than 4500 calories I didn't do it right!

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Wow! I don't like to cheat big... I don't feel very good when I go crazy, either - my body likes its food in smaller feedings anymore and when I give it too much, I pay a hefty price. I cheat a little here, a little there... and I never have feelings of guilt over it because it's done within the confines good reason. Cheating, like everything else in my world... has become about moderation for me.

-R

7. by086

by086 Well-Known Member

considering the fact that there is no fat in alcohol, then i couldn't see why that is nearly as bad, since usually you go to the bathroom so much when your drinking that it digests so quickly. Usually im running around when i drink too so it seems i burn those calories off much easier, when i cheat with food it's in front of the tv.

8. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Don't fool yourself. Booze is the enemy of a cutting program.

Alcohol stops the liver dead in its tracks. When you drink, the liver ceases to perform all but its most basic functions to sustain the body. In place of normal metabolic regulation, the liver begins to convert alcohol to a toxic substance called acetaldehyde (sp?). That chemical can combine with liver proteins and it will impair the function of the various liver enzymes. Most importantly, since the liver is directly responsible for mobilizing your body fat, you can't lose weight while your body has any alcohol or acetaldehyde present. In moderation, this is obviously not a problem. Drink too much, and it can take days for the liver to resume normal metabolic function... all the while, your stored fat isn't going anywhere.

-R

9. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Exactly! Why do people have huge cheat meals and gorge till they feel sick? Is that really pleasurable or make anybody feel better in any way?

10. jsbrook

Lots of truth to what Roger said. Fat also has nothing to do with it. Fat does not make you fat. More calories of alcohol will be more detrimental than less calories of pure lard. It is true that you may burn more calories in a drinking situation, such as at a club, then where you'd eat them instead.

11. by086

by086 Well-Known Member

but if your on a bulking program, are you going to be more suceptible to gaining fat from those extra alcohol calories than you would be from that extra tuna sandwich?

12. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Yes.

13. jsbrook

Agreed. Tuna has nutrition, and the protein will be used by the body to help fuel muscle growth. Alcohol has zero nutrtion and cannot be used for anything. (Except to get a nice buzz and fuel the growth of adipose tissue)

14. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

Because we are extremists???

I agree though. Actually if I know I'm going to cheat I often mentally decide on how may calories it is going to be, then decide what I'd like to eat. (This doesn't work for full on restaurant meals, which are never junk, and always have some good beer and/or wine).

For instance, the other day I was looking at gormet ice cream, thinking I could really do with a scoop of that. 250kcal, not too bad right now.

Then I though about how much cottage cheese + fruit that would be and decided that I'd rather have the cottage cheese + fruit.

Other times I'll choose the ice-cream. No big deal, it tells me that I really did want the ice-cream, not just the extra calories.

I never feel guilty and 90% of the time I'd rather have more of something healthy for the same calories as the cheat - or at least high quality, like a great T-Bone with some wine.

15. dodus

dodus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've found that out of all the cheating possibilities (re-feeds aside), going to town on a mini-jug of Carlo Rossi requires the least amount of damage control. I read somewhere that red wine has some unique property in that it slows cell entropy, which, if I'm not mistaken, means it slows aging. Maybe so, maybe not, but if you're hellbent on getting wasted, red wine's definitely the way to go.