1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Change at the speed of... a charging glacier!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Butterflyer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

I'm starting a journal about my pokey progress. I've been wanting to do this for a while.

Uh, that's all for now really... I just wanted to start. Just jump in. Otherwise I wouldn't ever get started, y'know? Now I must return, for I have begun! I think it's kind of like getting into cold water, I may resist at first, but then I may not want to get out...

I'll be posting some pictures tonight to see if I can make that work.
    :cool:

2. Butterflyer

OK, so I came back! And now I'm posting my pictures, lalala...

But first, I'll just mention my goals... I've finally decided to attempt to lose some of my fat. Previously, whenever I would lose any fat (I think), or even weight on the scale, I would get sick or my allergies would get really bad.

My long term goal is to get in good enough shape to start Masters swimming... there's a place in the area that has a coach for that, and I've wanted to do this since I was in my early twenties. Vaguely wanted, I guess. I'm thinking about starting that in the spring-- I recently switched jobs at my company and that slowed me down for a few months, and I want to make sure I'm not freaking out all the time about it.

I started walking a lot a few years ago, and then started getting back into using weights and all. This year I finally worked up to running. I used to *****HATE***** running, but find myself enjoying it now. :nod:

Let's see if I can figure out how to post this or not. This is last summer.

Ok that sort of works, I guess.

Then there's this summer.

Then there are pictures from tonight, including the one of my shoulders-- one day they were suddenly much more muscular than before, and I hadn't really been working them directly.

Attached Files:

#2 Butterflyer, Aug 19, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  3. lance02

lance02 Well-Known Member

You're off to a great start, Butterflyer! Keep it up and you'll reach your goals.

Lance

4. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

Hi Butterflyer... I LOVE the name of this thread... very creative :lol:

You at the right place for encouragement and advice to reach your goal... keeping a journal is really helpful, make sure you keep track of what you do in the gym and what you are eating... it really does help... I kind of quit keeping a journal of what I was doing in the gym until my new trainer suggested I write everything down, now I realize that I had become quite stagnant in the gym... because I hadn't been writing down how many reps I had been getting in at a particual weight I tended to just keep lifting the same weight instead of trying to increase weight/reps... now I take a small note book with me to the gym and write everything down and it's really helping ;)

good luck with your transformation... slow and steady really is the best way to do it :gl:

5. Butterflyer

Thanks Lance! Thanks Chameleon! :) And, might I add, *your* journal is a very good read! :cool:

I actually lost a pound this week. The picture in the black bathing suit above was taken on the 8th I think, while I was on vacation. The final 3 pictures were last night.

I'm 5'1" and my scale is saying I weigh 124 lbs. I know that actually means about 131, because I believe it is 7 lbs off. (And it's not digital, so I have a tough time reading the dial.) In 1999 I weighed 132 on that scale, because I'd gotten the most sedentary job I ever had, and there was an excellent cook in the cafeteria. I do miss Manny's penne vodka... damn he was good at that. After I quit eating 2 meals a day there, I lost some weight. I mean, the warehouse folks could eat Manny's delicious and inexpensive meals and have no trouble, but working in the office, you had to watch it.

I tend not to give a crap what the scale says anymore.

A couple of years ago, they started a walking program at work-- building up to 10,000 steps a day. I won a cheap prize I didn't even want! Yay!! And I kept trying to walk and I picked up my dumbbells again. It's amazing what you can do with a couple of 10 lb. dumbbells if you're consistent.

This past year I joined a gym. I don't like this gym. This year coming up, I will join the YMCA. It's farther away but has a pool, and also the Masters swimming practices a couple of times a week.

Before vacation I had been lifting pretty heavy, I think, but since I don't like the gym and you can never find a weight collar when you need one, I decided I would work out at home mostly when I got back. I had 9 days with no exercise except walking on the beach and swimming in the ocean, woo hoo!

I'm starting over with a program from "The Body Sculpting Bible For Women" just for the heck of it. I did this "break-in" workout this week, and will do it again next week. I figure I hate to try to jump back in where I left off because times I've done that before, I've gotten sick or too sore to work out consistently. Here's a chance to try something new.

Monday and Wednesday I did weight workouts, and Tuesday and Thursday I ran 20 minutes each morning. Friday I was going to do a weight workout but my walking buddy was available, so we walked 4.25 miles in an hour and 20 minutes, babbling away the whole time. It's always good to have a fun social exercise event I think!

So I did my weight workout this morning. I really thought this week would be a breeze because it was light weights and high reps, but there are some exercises I've done infrequently.

I used 10 lb. dumbbells which I thought would be too light. I also have dumbbell bars with plates and collars. But I had some pretty strong DOMS this week, and these workouts tired me out a bit. I was so surprised! :d_tongue:

Today's weights, 90 seconds rest between this week:
    Dumbbell rows 2x20
    Dumbbell flys 2x20 My cat thinks this is a good time to try and snuggle. :) She's silly.

Bent over lateral raises 2x15 Whew, these are hard for me!
    Calf raises 2x20

Hammer curls 2x20
    Lying triceps extensions 2x20

Wide stance squats 2x20 At the gym I could squat 5x8x75lbs, but these were still tiring--must be an endurance thing. Or a post-vacation thing. ;)
    Lunges 2x20 I used to hate lunges of any kind-- my balance was so bad. Now I like the challenge!

My diet right now is 1400-1700 calories a day, instead of the 1800-2200 I've been eating for the past year. Monday we'll see if the lost pound causes me to react badly to my allergy shots or if I'm being careful enough.... ;)

6. Butterflyer

Tomorrow I go to get my allergy shots. :d_tongue:

Today I had 1363 calories-- 46c 26p 28f.
    I am aiming for 40c 40p 20f most of the time, with more carbs and fat around shot day every 2 weeks. Extra protein around shot day is bad bad bad!

Yesterday was 1800 calories for me.
    Last night I made filet mignon, found on supersale at the grocery store I go to, which normally doesn't carry such fancy stuff. I made jasmine rice and steamed spinach to go along with it. Salad too. I think this meal made my fella kinda happy-- he has been pretty grumplicious since we got back from vacation. It's always a little tough to return to the job... coming over here for dinner was good for him!

Tonight I made brown rice for tomorrow and the next couple of days for lunches and stuff. I was going to cook other things but got lazy. I've got some other stuff ready though!

Tonight I'm grouchy. I don't wanna go to work tomorrow! :d_mad: Haha, yes I do so I can earn my paycheck! So I'm off to sleep... :)

7. Butterflyer

Got my allergy shots today and did not have a bad reaction! Hurray! I've got a swelling the size of a Silly Putty egg on my right hip but that's normal for me. :lol: It should be gone by tomorrow night.

Food: 1682 calories 43c 33p 24f
    Workout: same drill as before-- 10lb dumbbells, 2x20
    Rows
    Pushups (I can't believe I can do 2x20 of these now :claplow: )
    Shoulder press
    Calf raises
    Bicep curls
    Tricep extensions
    Squats
    SLDL

These weights are now lame for my legs, but not arms. I'll get out the adjustable dumbbells Wednesday.

I'll be figuring out what I want to do after I do this workout system for a month. I do want to see how it goes-- it seems to be improving my endurance at any rate.

I have to figure out when my gym membership ends. Though I don't want to go back at all, I might. I think I've gotten my money's worth. :d_tongue: I may get a chance to stop by the Y later this week-- I don't remember what the weight room is like.

I'm watching Monk right now-- again. I have to get the DVDs from Netflix. This is my first time with cable in a couple years and I'd like to see the older episodes now! I love this show. :)

8. Butterflyer

I went running for 25 minutes this morning and only looked at my watch 4 or 5 times. I used to check it every couple of minutes! I was always thinking-- when will I be finished? haha

Also abs-- crunches and some lower ab exercise I don't know what it's called. 2 sets of 20 for each. ow. The cat also thinks this is a good time to try to snuggle. She crazy. ;)

Work's gonna suck today. :confused:

9. Butterflyer

Yep, work's been crappy... it's a good thing I don't have any cookies at home. This is a day worthy of half a box of Entenmann's choc chip. :d_tongue: :d_tongue:

10. Butterflyer

Yesterday was 1493 cal with 52c 19p 29f. I had to get up late at night to get a cheesy snack. Apparently I need to eat my last meal of the day pretty late, maybe a half hour before I go to bed? I start fainting while lying down or something. Maybe it's also a sinus related thing....... but I know it's not a problem if I eat before bed.

Work was awful this morning, but then I had lunch with a coworker from my old department and I felt much better! :)

11. Butterflyer

Yesterday: 1609 cal 43c 28p 29f

I made pork chops for lunches this week. They're kinda fatty even without eating the fat! I kinda stewed them in ancho chili, and they taste good.

Last night I went walking with my buddy again, 4 miles, about 1.25 hour. So I'm doing my weight workout today before my brass quintet rehearsal tonight.

Thought of the day:
    &%$@#!* ragweed. :mad:

Mood for the day so far:
    Fury, followed by glumness

12. Butterflyer

The last couple of days have been really busy! Thursday night I had rehearsal for a little concert my brass quintet was playing yesterday at a nursing home. It was really fun, the group we played for sang and clapped along with a lot of our pieces, even the classical ones. I talked to a woman afterwards who had clapped for me when I walked into the room because her sister used to play French horn too. She also introduced me to a lady who's 101 years old. That lady was a real sweetie, she shook my hand and everything. :)

Friday I stopped by the Y to check out the weight room and get the application form. I also got sign up forms for Masters swimming-- I printed them off the internet.

Thursday and Friday were both about 1600 calories, and yesterday was 1800. I had sushi for dinner, yummy. My running yesterday was pretty fun, 25 minutes and a little further in that time than I've gone before.

Now I've got a cold and probably a sinus infection. I felt it coming on last night. I have a bit of a fever and I'm going to my allergist tomorrow. My boss came back from vacation early last week and sat down in my cube to cough on me. Cold germs + ragweed season = sinus infection. Whee. :(

Off to sleep now, and hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow! :cool:

13. Butterflyer

I feel a little better than yesterday, but I feel like refried crap! :d_frown:

I actually only ate 900 calories yesterday, and that's because I made myself eat. I really did not feel like eating anything, and that's.... well, let's just say it never happens.

I have less of a fever today, and I was feeling good enough to eat breakfast. Yay! Looking forward to going to the doctor.....

14. Butterflyer

I think I have bronchitis too. I've been coughing up a lung, and my boss told me today he's been coughing for 10 days. Yikes. I don't know that the antibiotics will help this part, but the sinus thing is better. I think my boss brought back some nice tropical germs from the Dominican Republic. Thanks!!!!!!! :rolleyes: I still have a bit of a fever in the evenings.

I hate being sick.

I've been doing a little stretching, but I'm mostly immobile and drinking lots of water. Not hungry. Bleh. I sat there watching "We are the 80s" on VH1 a while ago. I felt like I was watching a PBS fundraiser... and then I started having high school memories, and that was not exactly my favorite time. Was it because I could NEVER feather my hair????? :lol: I remember I used to think I was hideous looking, but going back and seeing pictures, I think I was cute and sometimes even pretty. I also have a tendency to think I had no life at all when I was young, but I was a pretty active person. I guess those shows don't really inspire much in the way of nostalgic feelings in me.

So..... when will arrangers start putting together hits of the 80s for brass quintet so we can play those in nursing homes? We could play "True" by Spandau Ballet and everyone will pass out from depression.

I'd still like to see the "Speed Racer" theme for brass quintet. That would be pretty funny. It's a tune that should find its way into wedding repertoire too. Processional maybe? Can you hear it on the organ perhaps?

So... do antibiotics cause silliness? Or is it lack of food?

I do look forward to being able to go out walking again.... :cool:

15. Butterflyer

I'm doing a little better, but I still have a yucky cough. I miss going walking the most.

So I was looking at some of my walking pictures, and I found a funny one. My friend took this picture.

Attached Files:

16. Butterflyer

And a pretty violet.
    Maybe this weekend I'll feel better!

Attached Files:

17. Butterflyer

I can tell I'm getting bored with being inactive, cuz I'm looking at all kinds of pictures and taking really bad pictures....

I guess this being sick has given me a chance to reflect on a lot of stuff. I'm wearing a pair of shorts that were waaaaayyyyy too tight in the waist a couple years ago. I've only lost 3 pounds on the scale since that time, but the changes are a lot bigger than that. Speaking of weight-- I weighed myself when I got home today and it said 122. I take this with a grain of salt as there were a couple of days I was too nauseous to eat. I've worked back up to 1300 calories and my appetite is improving a bit. The proportions were amazingly on target for sickly-person style eating.

I'm planning a new workout for when I can exercise again, maybe sometime over the weekend. Not tonight, I was coughing up a lung again. Maybe some rotator cuff exercises...

Here's the bad picture-- my mirror doesn't need cleaning, I'd just never taken a pic in the mirror before and I didn't know it could make snow sparkles like that.

Now maybe I'll go pester the cat with my camera.

Attached Files:

18. Butterflyer

I'm finally over my sinus infection and bronchitis.
    I've been eating pretty well for having been sick, and I now weigh 121, so I've lost 4 pounds since I started this journal.

Not a whole lot of exercise-- I can't go walking or running outside because of the high pollen just yet.

I just got my allergy shots Tuesday, and it was probably the best ever. I didn't even get a giant lump on my side this time. So I'm doing pretty good for being anaphylactic shock girl who got worse every time a few pounds were lost. I tried using Alka Seltzer Gold (no aspirin) this week for a couple of days before the shots. A friend of mine kept telling me ASG got rid of her allergies. I was skeptical-- it does at least seem to reduce my reaction to the shots and that's a good thing. I'll try it again next time.

Work has been crazy and kinda depressing. More good people were laid off. It's like hacking off limbs at this point. :(

19. Butterflyer

I forgot to mention that I *did* sign up at the YMCA Tuesday. They were having a special where they dropped the joiner's fee if you signed up between the 8th and the 13th I think. With this Y membership, I can use 2 facilities. Both have pools, but the one facility is pool only. I wanted to check it out this weekend, but I have too many things already scheduled around here. I got my suit out, and my cap and goggles. Combination lock is out in the car. Now I have to find a bag to put my stuff in. It seems all my other bags have occupations now and are full of stuff for different activities. Surely one of them can change jobs.

The other Y location has an ok pool and a "wellness center" that has, most importantly, a squat rack. And some benches, plenty of weights, and some machines. Also cardio machines. Maybe I'll use them sometimes, but I usually prefer to do cardio outside or in the water! I like to run or walk in the snow, rain, whatever. The only time I don't like to walk outside is when there's ice on the ground. I've fallen a couple of times, oops.

Now I have to mail the Masters swimming application...

Today I'm using dumbbells at home, and my boyfriend is coming over for dinner, a movie maybe, and lots of talking for sure. Right now I'm procrastinating going to the grocery store, so I better hit the road.

20. Butterflyer

I have a sore throat now, phooey! :(

I did get a nice long walk on Monday, about an hour plus a walk to and from the asian market nearby. So the half mile walk home included about 20 pounds of groceries.

I was doing bodyweight exercises yesterday... I can do 22 standard pushups without stopping to rest now! Big improvement for me. I know last year I could do 10 at a time and I would be struggling on the last couple.

I sent in my Master's swimming membership application, and I also am reading a couple of books to plan out my fun swimming time this year. I am trying to find a goal too, either a meet or an open water swim.

Also, I now weigh 120 pounds. I tried using my calipers last night and I got 22% bodyfat. I also got a big bruise on my thigh from the dang calipers. I had a tough time picking up the skin and fat from my leg, ouch.

Back to work!