1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge Ideas [Help please]

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by HyPe, Aug 27, 2007.

1. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is in the right section, but anyway... myself and 2 other friends are having a fitness challenge.

We are making a 5 month bodybuilding transformation competition. we want to take into account factors such as bodymass, bodyfat, definition, strength or any other suggested items in judging the competition. however we are all at different strength/bf levels so I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest a reccomended method for judging such a competition,

we were thinking along the lines of percentage increase comparisons, but if there are any better suggestions please let me know

any ideas would be much appreciated as we are stumped as to how to judge this fairly. thanks

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

All of you can enter a local drug tested amateur bodybuilding competition :nod:

Here are a list of some of the organizations:
    http://www.bodybuildingcompetitionguide.com/

No excuses! Take it to the extreme if you guys are really serious! :bb:

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well that's throwing down the gauntlet.

:D

4. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

none of us intend on becoming bodybuilders per se, so that idea is a bit out the question....

any other ideas? come on guys? usually full of good ideas :nod:

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If you really want to accurately judge your bodybuilding transformation, then I think mastover has put his finger on exactly the correct answer. I mean, who else puts more thought and effort into measuring bodybuilding transformations than bodybuilders?

I think mastover understands the picture pretty clearly, and made the most sensible suggestion. Are you worried about your ego getting trashed? Sure, first time out I think that is guaranteed. So write that part off and look forward to the rest you can learn from it. Your training will be a lot different if you have a day on which you know you will be judged in a particular way.

6. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Perhaps, you're making a body transformation, instead of a bodybuilding transformation?

Then, yes, difference in lean mass, fat levels, and strength on one or two big compound exercises from the initial condition would be a good way to quantify progress.

7. mastover

Hey HyPe,

My challenge to you sir, is you're not being serious enough with your "bodybuilding transformation" challenge :nod:

The interesting thing about Chic's and zen's comments is that I've done both of them in my career. I've competed as a powerlifter and bodybuilder. One assesses overall physical conditioning, symmetry, and muscularity, and the other (powerlifting) measures your strength on the basic movements - squats, deadlifts, and bench press.

Even though I've competed in over 80 shows as a bodybuilder, I do not know the meaning of "bodybuilder" because there are simply too many ideas regarding what truly defines a "bodybuilder".

I may be wrong about your desires for this challenge, so if anyone has a better idea, I'd be really interested to hear it, and possibly partake in it myself with zen and chicmeister, of course ;)

:tucool:

#7 mastover, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Document all of your numbers and progress pictures in the challenges forum, and determine the winner by anonymous JSF poll.

9. mastover

:sleep:

.....bump, anyone else?

:D

10. goonie

goonie Active Member

After 5 months, you all go out to a bar in tight fitting shirts. Whoever can pickup the hottest female wins. Wives and girlfriends might have a problem with this, but they should support your fitness related quests. :)

Outside of this, you could come up with a ranking system for the various aspects being evaluated as part of the contest and assign a point system based on importance. Winner is the guy with the most points.

Categories could be things like;

-- most inches lost off waist
    -- %BF change using a reliable measurement
    -- total pounds lost
    -- biggest increase in strength on agreed upon lifts

Use relative changes based on today's numbers to award points.

The strength factor you want included throws a wrech in the mix with judging from a purely aesthetic point. Of course you could take mastover's suggestion and make it part of your points system (value assigned based on where you place), and then include a strength contest on top of this to determine the overall winner. :confused:

Oh, and my suggestion at the top could be included as well within the points system. :lol:

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Um, I'll take maximum total weight deadlifted in ten minutes for $200, Alex.

12. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Is it fair to staple a $1000 bill to my forehead in advance?

13. mastover

Well, our friend is asking for a 5 month challenge zen.....not a 10 minute challenge. Perhaps if Alex can stage a contest where we tally up total weight deadlifted after 5 months, we might have a plan. However, it would be easy to doctor up the numbers, so we'd probably have to employ a honorable person, like Guava, to do the counting.

Besides, I like Guava's idea better :nod: ......I think :confused:

After viewing several of your video's zen, that would probably be a good idea. :whistle:

14. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

OK total weight deadlifted in 10 minutes at the end of five months. The point of 10 minutes is so it fits on a youtube video. There's already a benchmark out there -

And I take no chances in the bars. I use two thousands.:tu:

15. mastover

Great video! :tucool:

If our OP friend is in, I'm in too :nod:

Or maybe he has a couple of good choices. The bodybuilding show being the other. I mean, who better to judge your bodybuilding transformation than a panel of experienced physique judges :)
    Yes, it's all very subjective, but that's the nature of the game.

Hey zen, my sister works in Tarrytown NY. She took me to a gym she belongs to - I think it's called New York Sports Club, up in White Plains. A little too trendy for me, only one squat rack, a little too glitzy. Do you know of where I speak? I figure we can meet up there one of these days, and you can show everyone in there how to train ;)

I did squats in there that one day, and everyone was looking at me like I just stepped out of a flying saucer :confused:

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ah that is why I thought you were from Tarrytown. I live only minutes away. I go through White Plains on my daily commute and can easily get there.

By the way I still think for the original poster, the bodybuilding contest is the best way to go.

17. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

thanks for all the good suggestions, hopefully we'll come to a conclusion in the next few days what we'll be doing and then can maybe post a log on the forums or something

also my post wasn't to clear, i said bodybuilding, but mastover you are correct its more of a body 'trasnformation'.

all the ideas are really good.

zeph/mastover thanks for the suggestions, i understand what you guys are saying about a bodybuilding comeptition, however, although we are serious in that we want it to be a 'transformation', none of us intend to become bodybuilders and the lifestyle just woudn't work. We are serious about our little competition, but we are merely a few teenagers trying to challenege each other to achieve our goals and just improve our body and well being

18. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah I can't handle the bodybuilding eating either. But that still leaves the deadlifts in ten minutes challenge. You could do that.

19. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well here is the current training status:

As you can see in the video I got interrupted before the 10:00 was up, but I still got 12915# in the 8:17 I was lifting. Which is more than the total weight of 30x405# = 12150# in the benchmark video.

20. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Man I'm glad it's deads instead of kickbacks. We started training the kickbacks today just in case, and man I suck at kickbacks.